GreaseSpot Cafe

Hayes Gahagan

HAPe4me

This struck me as funny. (edited to add: In the late 70s, Hayes Gahagan, a PFAL grad, was highly touted by VPW as a political hero to God's people (us wayfers). TWI sent Political WOWs (PowWOWS) to surreptitiously campaign for him, if I recall correctly)

I didn't know he has an award named after him:

http://www.yorkindependent.net/news/2008/2...S_AD_diamon.cfm

From the article:

POLITICS & OTHER MISTAKES

Scars and souvenirs

By Al Diamon November 07, 2008

"The campaign is over. Now for the fun stuff.

No, not the results. The results are boring.

(Unless they aren't. I'm writing this before any votes have been counted, so if John Frary happens to be a congressman-elect or Tom Allen is preparing to enter the U.S. Senate or Republicans are about to assume control of the Legislature, I deny I ever said anything about boring results. And next time, I'll use this space to reveal the insights that allowed me to anticipate such unexpected outcomes before anyone else.)

What I meant is it's time for the Gaggie Awards. These coveted trophies honor those who have campaigned in the grand tradition of the Gaggies' namesake: Hayes Gahagan.

In 1978, Gahagan, an independent U.S. Senate candidate with ties to a religious cult, announced that persons unknown had altered his campaign photos by inserting subliminal pictures of reproductive organs in his hairline.

It was a moment like no other in Maine political history, and to preserve its memory, we recognize politicians with similar styles for their, uh, endowments.

The envelope, please."

(end quote)

Gahagan won his own namesake award this year:

The winner of the Hasn't-Learned-A-Thing-In-30-Years Award goes to... Hayes Gahagan.

I thought he was dead, which was why he hadn't sued me.

Actually, Gahagan lives in Presque Isle (slightly different from dead) and serves on the Republican State Committee (insert dead joke here). In September, he authored an op-ed in the Bangor Daily News, urging Americans to keep pace with our profligate foes by having more babies.

"Otherwise," he wrote, "we could someday find ourselves living under a tyrannical totalitarian Islamo-fascist theocracy where they stone people for having sex out of marriage instead of praying for them, forgiving them and restoring them to correct moral behavior."

You can understand why sex would be on the mind of a guy with his particular hairline problem.

hahahahaahahaaaaaaaa! hairline problem

Edited by HAPe4me

This struck me as funny. (edited to add: In the late 70s, Hayes Gahagan, a PFAL grad, was highly touted by VPW as a political hero to God's people (us wayfers). TWI sent Political WOWs (PowWOWS) to surreptitiously campaign for him, if I recall correctly)

I didn't know he has an award named after him:

http://www.yorkindependent.net/news/2008/2...S_AD_diamon.cfm

From the article:

POLITICS & OTHER MISTAKES

Scars and souvenirs

By Al Diamon November 07, 2008

"The campaign is over. Now for the fun stuff.

No, not the results. The results are boring.

(Unless they aren't. I'm writing this before any votes have been counted, so if John Frary happens to be a congressman-elect or Tom Allen is preparing to enter the U.S. Senate or Republicans are about to assume control of the Legislature, I deny I ever said anything about boring results. And next time, I'll use this space to reveal the insights that allowed me to anticipate such unexpected outcomes before anyone else.)

What I meant is it's time for the Gaggie Awards. These coveted trophies honor those who have campaigned in the grand tradition of the Gaggies' namesake: Hayes Gahagan.

In 1978, Gahagan, an independent U.S. Senate candidate with ties to a religious cult, announced that persons unknown had altered his campaign photos by inserting subliminal pictures of reproductive organs in his hairline.

It was a moment like no other in Maine political history, and to preserve its memory, we recognize politicians with similar styles for their, uh, endowments.

The envelope, please."

(end quote)

Gahagan won his own namesake award this year:

hahahahaahahaaaaaaaa! hairline problem

laughing021.gif

laughing025.gif

laughing013.gif

These Way leaders today are fixated upon gaining forgiveness for adulterers and restoring correct moral behavior. I wonder why?

Calling Doctor Freud, calling Doctor Freud. Doctor Freud, please call your office...

Edited by OperaBuff

What I find interesting.. is the height of "success" those under vic's tutelage rose to..

we have one of his "best".. that still swears by the simply renamed "new and improved" old snake oil better than all other snake oil since the earth cooled..

his "old guard".. hell bent on resurrecting a failed flawed corps training system.. probably just don't know how to really do anything else..

other of his "best" moved on to more bizarre, and more failed and false prophecies and such..

now this gaggy.. he seems to haven't budged much from the same conspiratorial theories for thirty years.. maybe he oughter "get with it"..

:biglaugh:

but it's the same mentality.. bushkie, upon inquiries "what part do WE have play in this (war on terror)?"

"just go shopping.."

now this character..

how does one fight the terrrorists?

"just go have babies.."

:biglaugh:

I guess I'd never reexamined my thoughts about Mr. G. and all the political tripe of the mid70s. I was still carrying around this image of him as some dedicated reformer with real insight into how politics is REALLY played.

So funny to see a - I guess - more "real world" assessment of his abilities, :biglaugh:

Oh gawd, it was all such a joke...

Edited by George Aar

Apparently he formed a private LLC in Business Development, Project Management etc

• Business Development; specializing in energy and bio-energy related projects at the former Loring Air Force Base and along the 200-mile Searsport-Loring Pipeline Corridor.
  • Project Management #1; principal/owner of Loring BioEnergy, LLC, a 55 MW cogeneration facility under development at the Loring Commerce Center.
  • Project Management #2; principal/owner of Brigadier Development, LLC an energy-related project at the deepwater Port of Searsport, Maine.
  • Project Mangement #3; offering energy-savings management programs to petroleum and pulp and paper industries. Certified Historically Underutilized Business Zone (HUBZone) entity, qualified for federal contracting in electricity, natural gas, petroleum products and biofuels.

Boy, haven't seen that name in awhile. He seems to be aligned with the Republican conservative "religious right" from what I read. Could be wrong about that, but the knee-jerk issues of same-sex marriage, abortion and "morals" sound like their on his hotplate.

I don't know that he's all that terrible a person by the sounds of it. I would say with some reserve I probably differ with his politics, more correctly probably with his priorities, although I do agree with the general idea that moral debate, definition and direction should inform our politics and government. So the diversity that differing opinions brings is a good thing to me if only that it shows that all sides are showing up at the table and not hiding out somewhere with loaded guns, in wait.

Looking back - 31 years now, a long time ago - Gahagan presented himself like a person who cared, had good intentions, nice enough, but was something of a lightweight. It's hard to pinpoint my recollections, but he did seem a little wobbly. He sounds the same on his video statement, now. Nice enough guy and probably wise to stay in his professional career and in local politics. Don't mean to sound mean but he comes off a little too Wonder Bread to me. Might do well with the Pro-Palin crowd though.

I agree, leafy. I'd suggest evaluating him by what he's doing now, how he's doing it and what his ideas are, etc. I don't live in Maine so I'm not really that interested, although little rocks on the pond do carry, as we've seen over and over again in politics to be sure. But I doubt he's a serious threat to anyone based on what his career was 31 years ago. He got trounced around as badly as anyone I've ever seen by the Veepster in a back-stage meeting that year at the Rock. I was surprised he didn't flip VP off and leave, to be honest. Don't even remember what the brew-ha-ha was all about but it was a pantsing for sure. I'm sure he's grown up in the interim. While he seemed quite seriously sincere, he lacked (IMO) that sense of leadership and charisma that comes from great passion. He was passionate, yes, but not in a way that carried far as I recall.

I agree, leafy. I'd suggest evaluating him by what he's doing now, how he's doing it and what his ideas are, etc. I don't live in Maine so I'm not really that interested, although little rocks on the pond do carry, as we've seen over and over again in politics to be sure. But I doubt he's a serious threat to anyone based on what his career was 31 years ago. He got trounced around as badly as anyone I've ever seen by the Veepster in a back-stage meeting that year at the Rock. I was surprised he didn't flip VP off and leave, to be honest. Don't even remember what the brew-ha-ha was all about but it was a pantsing for sure. I'm sure he's grown up in the interim. While he seemed quite seriously sincere, he lacked (IMO) that sense of leadership and charisma that comes from great passion. He was passionate, yes, but not in a way that carried far as I recall.

I can agree with much of what you recall about Hayes... though I had no idea about Wierwille having chewed him out for anything... which I don't really care about anyway. I was the target of a couple of Wierwille's rantings while doing A/V at Emporia...

However, I do recall getting the impression that Hayes had some special insight on politics in general and the conspiracy things in particular. I specifically recall him speaking as if he knew that the US was being taken over by the CFR and Trilateral Commission by instituting a new branch of government that would not be accountable to the checks and balances of either the legislative or judicial branch. That new "branch" was "administrative" rather than the "executive" branch of government.

Years later, I worked as an accountant for a state government agency and after that for a newspaper that covers all of the state government, but the legislature in detail and provides a lot of routine information (rather than "news" stories) about the so called administrative branch.

What I learned from that experience is that Hayes didn't have a clue. What he called the administrative branch is really just a part of executive branch agencies (in both state and federal level governments).

Executive branch agencies exercise what is called "rule making." Rule making is subject to public disclosure and a process that depends on a somewhat extended time frame to allow for scrutiny.

And there ARE people in news and advocacy organizations that monitor rule making proposals and raise awareness when an agency tries to do things that might be questionable.

It's not a perfect process, but it's still subject to public accountability to a degree.

So, I believe Hayes is probably harmless, as Socks said, for the most part, and likely does/will appeal to the same crowd that liked Caribou Barbie.

As I recall, VP always enjoyed "locking on" to prospective "celebrities" in various fields...when he found out that Hayes was an aspiring politician, he jumped in with both feet. Hayes was a victim of the cult just like the rest of us...Although I don't agree with his "political perspectives", I am not out to bash him.

His career speaks for itself...but nevertheless...sex organs in his hairline?...sorry, that just begs for comment.

Anybody else remember those "newsletters" that we were getting at around the time Gahagan was running for office? "Salty Oats" and some other rag - I think put out directly by HG's organization, were always rife with right-wing conspiracy blather. It'd be kinda humorous to see what the hell was in them now- and how all those prophecies of doom held up.

What's amazing to me is that all these smart guys in WayWorld weren't bright enough to realize that mixing politics and religion would get them all in a heap a trouble with the tax crowd. Pretty stupid in retrospect...

Thanks Rocky - sometimes I need to recalibrate my memory recall - it's dusty. :) I think the word I was reaching for was "conviction". Maybe it was his youth, he didn't look that much older than some of us and had a baby faced look that didn't exactly say "been there, done that".

If I remember right, the "sex" ad on his forehead was cooked up by the geniuses handling his publicity, an Ad agency...? if I remember right. I seriously doubt (but have no proof of this other than his own statements) that he sat in a room somewhere and said yeah, put some sex on my forehead, it'll get me more votes. But maybe he did, I honestly don't know.

I'd have to agree, it's noteworthy certainly and clearly struck a note so ridiculously low that it acts as a measure for sheer ineptitude. But still - that was about 30 years ago. I just don't see the bearing on his career today which should take into account that time frame since then and which would act as a better reference for who he is today.

If I were to conduct an interview.. I'd ask him what his opinion of vic is today.. after thirty years, has he ever come to the realization he followed a sleazy, narcissistic, plagiaristic scumbag?

or does he regard the vicster as one who gave him his start, and one who taught him politics like it hasn't been known since the earth cooled?

Or has he really just forgotten it all..

as far as "flaky beliefs".. I wouldn't judge his CHARACTER based on them.. I may laugh.. but I laugh at my own as well.. just the best I have until something better comes along..