GreaseSpot Cafe

What did you learn?

Twinky

We've all left The Way International for one reason or another. For many of us, leaving was stressful because we were forced to choose between family loyalties, or were kicked out, or for whatever reason. For others, it was a more reasoned choice where they saw that what was practiced was not doctrinally or practically as set out in the Bible.

But apart from that - what have you learned? Generally? Life lessons? To some extent this will vary according to why and how you "got in" as well as how you "got out."

To be more cynical? To think a little more? To trust a little more - or a little less? To trust your own instincts when you see those "red flags"? To see through the ads on the TV for what they are trying to sell? Closer family ties? Value friends more - or less? To be harder, softer, kinder, less kind, more compassionate, less gullible --- what is it for you?

I don't want this thread to become unpleasant, nor do I want it to be a "Way bashing" thread. Just - what you've learned from the experience.

Hmmm this is a good question... I must think on this I will be back... But the very first thing that I learned was that God Loved me and didn't care if I was in TWI .. HE still loved me... I would not just be a grease spot on the road because I left the Way...

Oh and I promise this will be the only Twi based lesson the rest will be the life lessons I have learned.T :)

Edited by leafytwiglet

I've learned that I'm probably a bit smarter than I thought I was. And that creepy feeling that I get about squishy, unverifiable, mystical claptrap is probably a good thing. I guess I've learned mostly to be more in touch with my basic responses.

More cynical? Yeah, I'm sure that's true too. So what else is new?

the most significant things I've learned are how to accept people as they are, that real communication is the key to real relationships, and that I don't have to look perfect all the time to avoid getting reamed (it's ok for me to tell a busybody "up yours" because I'm NOT out of fellowship!).

I have lerned to be more human, humanitarian. To be quiet when other believe in things that we were thought to be devilish, or from a debil spiritual source.

What I may not learned is to be nice whit homosexuales, gay, lesbian.

I've learned more compassion for people. Like it was said before, I also learned to accept people where they are. I've learned to be able to hear differing opinions without getting "spiritually" upset, and I no longer accept that there is one truth out there. I look at life more and learn from it whereas before I was constantly analyzing "Does it line up with the Word?" "Is there a Devil spirit behind that?"

I feel I spent way too much time feeling like I had all the answers and wanted to make sure people knew about my answers to life. People out there can teach you a lot if you watch and listen. That's a huge step for me.

After a few false starts and missteps, I eventually learned to set and pursue my own goals in my life and not let anyone else set my goals for me. I learned it is actually easier to be a loving, caring Christian if I'm not wearing a corporate name tag on my chest. I learned many good things while in The Way, but my life after The Way has been the better, healthier part of the learning adventure that is my life.

I learned that putting salt into coffee is a bad idea, and that if I don't have enough fresh coffee grounds to make a pot of coffee then I should make a pot of tea instead.

It has been 32 years since I left. I continue to learn that the Word is still the Word, that God has not changed, and that we reap what we sow.

I learned and continue to learn to be very suspicious of any religious organization and to be very distrustful of anyone in a pastoral position. That includes former pastors of former churches we attended AFTER TWI.

No offense to anyone who reads this who is a minister, including a TWI minister. I just don't want to be fooled again.

WG

Edited by Watered Garden

I learned a lot of what others have said, but in addition to that, I would also say that an important thing I learned is self-value. Instead of always doing what others, whether leadership, my parents, etc. wanted, I had to learn to do what I wanted, and to believe what I figure out on my own. It was difficult, as a supposedly intelligent kid, to grow up and automatically reject my own thoughts because they didn't line up with leadership or what I was told the bible said. Now that I am both out of TWI and an adult, I have learned that I am capable of making good decisions, and just because someone in authority tells me something doesn't make it gospel truth.

I have learned that there is no entity who is minutely concerned about what I believe or do or pulling strings behind the scenes running the world. There is no entity answering my prayers or providing me with a book containing the rules for living life. I have learned that I am capable of figuring out how to live life myself. I have learned that there are few things that are black or white, but that there are infinite shades of grey. I have learned that t5here is great joy to be had in living life. :dance:

salt in coffee? wtf?

Oh, you never had believer coffee? In my day, we were taught to make coffee for large gatherings by using old used coffee grounds mixed with fresh grounds. Then before brewing, sprinkle some salt on top of the grounds. It saved money you see. The salt was supposed to keep the brewed coffee from tasting like the retrieved garbage it was bitter. It never worked, but we would smile like goofs and Stepford through it.

Okay... I could go on and on.. Well I am Old so I have learned a lot..

First and foremost I learned that the person in charge of my walk with God is me. That I am only in charge of my walk, not responsible for another persons walk.

The house does not need to be perfectly clean.

I do not need to always be up and doing things... Sometimes it is okay to just goof around and do nothing.

The bad things that happened to me are the things that make me who I am...

God forgave me for them I am free to forgive myself for them too.

No body is perfect... we are all human and make errors. Kindness is the best way to deal with most people in your life.

No one is gonna rescue you.. only you can rescue yourself.

Great answers, all.

Humanity, compassion, living life, getting on with it, walking one's own walk.

Not relying on others (especially "spiritual leaders" of various types).

Confidence to make own decisions.

These are all good things to learn.

Maybe we would have got there without our "Way" experiences. Maybe not.

I think I've learned compassion, and to like myself. To love myself, even.

I've learned I was in a cult. Sounds obvious but I denied it for years.

I've learned that nobody has all the answers. I sometimes think that God allowed me to go through a period where I thought I/we knew it all, just to humble me when it became clear that most of what I thought I knew was wrong.

I've learned some sound principles for studying the Bible, including comparing many other viewpoints and deciding for myself who makes a better case. I've learned that not all theologians are "intellectual unbelievers." I've learned that there is a lot of room for opinions about "non-essential" topics, and that if you "mark and avoid" those who don't agree with you, you cut yourself off from possibly valuable resources of learning.

I've learned that Jesus' words are relevant, not just "addressed to a different administration," and that I can look to him for help. Everything in my life isn't riding on my ability (or lack thereof) to renew my mind.

I've learned that nothing is evil of itself, it depends on what you do with it. Some things that were called evil and to be avoided in TWI I have learned to appreciate.

I've learned that the suggestion of a "man of God" is NOT tantamount to an order (except maybe in his own mind). In fact, just because a person is in a leadership position does not mean everything he says is ordained of God.

I have learned to be less trusting, but that has good and bad points to it. Yet I've learned that if I'm "messed up," God is willing to work with me and help me, because He wants me in His Kingdom even more than I want to be. And guess what! How He works with me may not be how He works with somebody else and that's okay too! He is not limited to what programs and classes I've had or what nametags I wear. And His infinite power is not limited by what "believing" my tiny "un-renewed mind" can muster. There's more to His Holy Spirit than just "my power" to "operate all nine all the time."

I've learned that life is neither as simple nor as complicated as it seemed to be in TWI.

Since leaving twi, I've learned that "the product"....yes, plaf (the wonder class) was NOT the word, but a mixture of scripture, stories and leaven. The whole organization was leavened by wierwille's narcisstic views.

The wierwille religion is one of laws, legalism, arrogance, license-to-sin, and disdain for other Christians who turn to Jesus as lord of their lives. Today, the wierwille cult has moved from its mog-status beginnings and evolved into a corporate entity of self-proclaimed spiritual stature.

No more hoops to jump.....no leader critiquing my spirituality......no daily confrontations......no more manipulation and exploitation......the fresh air smells so wonderful.

And now, my deceiver-meter is ALWAYS ON. Thanks to twi, I am very aware of deceivers, false teachers, con-artists, boasters and snake oil salesmen.

Life is good.....and I shudder to think where I'd be if I hadn't resigned and walked away.

Oh, you never had believer coffee? In my day, we were taught to make coffee for large gatherings by using old used coffee grounds mixed with fresh grounds. Then before brewing, sprinkle some salt on top of the grounds. It saved money you see. The salt was supposed to keep the brewed coffee from tasting like the retrieved garbage it was bitter. It never worked, but we would smile like goofs and Stepford through it.

god that sounds disgusting! we mixed used grounds when I was growing up because we were so poor, but never would have put salt in the coffee. GROSS. I guess by the time I moved anywhere where twi peeps were doing that, I'd realized it's not a good idea to drink the coffee.

thank god I don't have to rely on "believing" to get a decent cup of coffee these days. since I quit tithing to that devilish group, it's amazing how many things I can afford.

So what are you saying, Potato, that you have learned to manage your money better? (LOL)

I've learned a lot about myself, who I am, how to be myself and not to try to be somebody else.

I've learned not to beat myself up over making mistakes.

I've learned there are a lot of good genuine people outside twi.

I've learned there's no one single source for all the answers.

I'm still learning...