GreaseSpot Cafe

Wierwille And Musicians

TOMMYZ

WARNING!----Not Wierwille related

Before TWI, I was very involved in music. I had played hundreds of gigs before I ever heard of PFAL. After I got in TWI, I had a Limb Leader (who had no musical background that I was aware of) try to tell me I held my microphone all wrong. He insisted I needed to shape my hand like a duck bill and hold the mic. gently so it would appear to be light in weight. I guess that's cool------------ if you want to look like you're auditioning for Lawrence Welk or something! :evildenk:

My experience was from the other end of the spectrum. I'm not a musician, or much of a singer, but I was asked by our LC to write a couple of songs for some upcoming meetings. Why me? Maybe because I was pretty good with the written word; wrote a lot of poetry, and he thought that meant that I could write music. I didn't think so, but who was I to argue with the mini-MOG? :rolleyes:

Anyway, I recruited a guitar player from another twig and we hammered something out, basically just took an old blues song and changed the lyrics, with the intention that one of the people who could actually sing would perform it. To my amazement LC insisted that I sing it, despite my protestations of incompetance. :o

So anyway, we tried to work around my lack of singing talent, and came up with something that turned out to be pretty fair, considering.

Then we go and audition the finished product to the LC and his wife, who then spend an hour critiquing my singing (in)ability, which I had warned them about. Trying to get me to hold notes that I could barely hit, and suggesting changes that would have required a throat transplant.

After the meeting, we both said "screw him, we'll just do it the best we can."

They stopped asking me after that :biglaugh:

Weeeeeeeeell I cannot remember who taught this or where I was, ....but I do remember being coached at some function that ladies mustn`t grasp the microphone with the entire hand because it gave the appearance of holding something else.

I was completely shocked.

Weeeeeeeeell I cannot remember who taught this or where I was, ....but I do remember being coached at some function that ladies mustn`t grasp the microphone with the entire hand because it gave the appearance of holding something else.

I was completely shocked.

Well that burned an image in my retina that isn't going to go away very soon! :redface2:

I am SO sorry Tzaiah ... it upset me 20 + years ago when they said that. I debated a day before I posted it, I didn`t post it to be nasty, but to just show where some of these people who made the rules minds were at....and I don`t know why it was ok for guys to hold it that way...:(

Edited by rascal

I am SO sorry Tzaiah ... it upset me 20 + years ago when they said that. I debated a day before I posted it, I didn`t post it to be nasty, but to just show where some of these people who made the rules minds were at....and I don`t know why it was ok for guys to hold it that way...I think it takes a pretty sick mind to come up with this stuff :(

No. It's not you. It just shows them where their heads were. I cannot tell you how glad I am to have never been in it that deep. The glimpses that I had were enough for me. I just can't imagine living it.

I'm speechless :asdf:

So how does the redeemed and virtuous woman hold a knife, a screwdriver :biglaugh: , or a steering wheel?

It doesn't seem to matter how many years I've been reading trancenet/waydale/greasespot, there's always something to be learned.

TommyZ if you're still reading, back to your original post and if "this" is something they got from The Way and VPW...I think it's broader than just that. Some people are overbearing and controlling and will find opportunities to find excuses for how they want to be. Look at your "offshoots". I find it hard to believe that there are that many people in these groups who had any degree of time around VPW, enough times and long enough to fully absorb and practice his example, whatever it might be. They may hear it from others second hand, but something in them says "yeah! that's right on. That's how I'm going to be".

It's more than what a person's taught. It involves what a person chooses to embrace and practice. It may be out of fear or out of desire, but the choice, inclination, interest, desire is generated by the person. They're taking the stuff they hear and see and working it out for themselves and making the decision as to how they act.

I saw VPW loose his temper many times, get angry. But I didn't choose anger as the method to deal with life's challenges or people that disagree with me. Have I ever acted like that? Sure. But I could see the toxic effect anger had on me personally and others around me, so I chose a different method and path to develop and move in. I can unload a double barrel of serious grief in ways that no one would ever want to be exposed to - and then what? Nothing. There's nothing after that. Fear, grief, bad cha-cha. It sucks.

It's interesting to consider the roots and origins of things and how they came about but IMO ultimately you have to deal with people as they are right then and there. If all they want to do is say "well, that's what Dr. Weirwille taught and that's what I believe is right" and dont' want to consider anything else then that's that. They've made their choice and if it's a wrong one they'll have to live with that. But you don't have to, so don't.

Sound Out, Sunesis. You got me thinking. It was a great time in many ways and a gathering of wonderful people we'd known and worked with for many years. In a final pass, one last time here I would retell what drove a stake through my heart and ultimately brought it's own kind of healing in the days that followed. I've a center point for the balance in my life and it's the love I have for my lovely wife, Janet and that she has, for me. Out of that has come our family and a means for me to understand God's unconditional love. Of itself our love is served by what we do for each other and how we recognize it. Honorably, respectfully, humbly. For all it is and all we can be with it. Love has saved me, of that I have no doubt and I'll always marvel at it's finding me and how, in this seemingly graceless age we live in, grace has abounded in ways I would have never dreamed.

At that event a hurt was done to her, no small one, by those who would have had the power to correct it but who wouldn't, who simply said "no". Beyond rational reason, for no other reason than they could. And that in so doing they covered for a mistake of their own making, one they chose to hide. Me, I can be hurt and I can deal with that. Her, I'm responsible for. So action was required.

All up and down the line I tried to correct it, but nothing changed. She cried, she was hurt and I promised to never return.

I did, the summer of 1986, for one final look at the Farm, and our friends. When we left that summer that door shut one final time and that was that. In ways they would never understood that was a place of the heart that would never include them anymore. Forgiven yes, but the clock restarted that day.

Like that philosopher Harry Callahan said "a man has to know his own limitations" and that was mine. Some lines, crossed, nothing good can be served by going back over them.

I won't go into the details although I have before here. People have gone on, life goes on and we're happy in the ways we always have been, and even more. But this was of such impact that I actually told my children the story years later so that if they ever in their lives found themselves somehow dealing with the same people they'd know to proceed with caution with those who had done "much evil" to us.

It was a watershed event so to speak and in it's own way underscored my path for the future. I'm no better than anyone else, all I can do is try. So that's what I've done.

I hope, trust everyone here will succeed in all the ways they want now and in ways that surprise you, too. I know amazing things can happen when we least expect it. :wave:

Thanks for the space, TommyZ.

Socks, I think the way that you chose to live, what you chose to embrace, how you chose to react....shows what a decent man of character does. One whom is to be respected.

The others had the same choices...they instead used what they were taught and the example set to become users and abusive...All of you under the same teachers, all supposed to be believing the same doctrine...yet some were viciously cruel.

It is puzzling.

Speaking strictly as a person that sat in the audience and thoroughly enjoyed the wonderful music that was shared...I loved it! All of it...As far as I am concerned, it was far more inspirational, far more meaningful many times than the dry boring teachings that would follow.

Personally, I think that the people who made life difficult for the musicians saw that. I think that they were jealous, jealous pure and simple that a couple of 3 minute songs could fire people up in their faith and believing...that they could do what the dull search through the scriptures trying to extract the minute whichness of the why...completely missing the message of God`s love...rarely accomplished.

I think that the music put the focus on God, I think that they were jealous that the focus was no longer on them and their great research abilities.....soooooo true to twi.....they had to diminish the music...diminish the musicians...just like they did when they slammed churches and other christians. It made them feel like big shots.

Truthfully?? I think whether you were a musician or the teacher after...I think the difference lay in what was inside the person doing the presenting, who and what was the inspiration. In hind site it was easy to see whom was inspired by God and who was inspired by ego.

Can`t tell you how many records, tapes, and cd`s from ministry days that I have worn out playing during tough times to be inspired and remember who God was and why he was there....and isn`t that the whole point?

Edited by rascal

This is a very interesting thread for me....thank-you for all the posts.

Since I wasn't In the "ring" of JN or Any other of the great musical groups....I just want to say, I do not know what went on in the organizing and running them. BUT, I do want to say, that I absolutely loved Way productions...JN the most I think. It was because of the music that I heard at a coffeehouse that drew me into the ministry. I still love the music! Talented musicians with hearts for God.....

Having said that now, I will share my personal experience with music. I was a musician when I came into the ministry....playing guitar, writing songs. I hadn't been around for like 6-8 months and the limb leader told me I was to "put down" the music and play no more because I needed to have the word first in my life before the music.

For three years I did no music at all. On my wow year, The limb leader asked if I would play at a state get together and I said, No I can't and told him why I couldn't. He then said, well, I think it's ok that you do now. So I did.

And I did play at fellowships after that occasionally and wrote a few songs, but I lost the passion I had for the music like I did before. Eventually, I just didn't play much at all.

After leaving the ministry, I SO LONGED AND WANTED my passion back for music...I had great and I do mean great difficulty in trying to revive that. It took someone who was a musician, to basically, make me play with her and continue to play. It took a year or so before, I felt like I was back to where I had been with my love for music.

I've played with two christian bands, but felt neither was something I wanted to do....I do write songs now and do a lot of "Living room" playing.....though it's dropped off some since I am not playing in bands.

I think it's difficult for musicians to "find their place" in the music realm after leaving...cause I, for one, was so used to the music being a "certain" way, sounding a certain way, carrying a certain message.

Thanks for letting me share!

Rascal - LOL!!!! The advice on a lady holding the microphone - good thing I wasn't drinking my coffee then...

Socks, thanks so much for sharing. The reunion must have been '84, because that's when I left HQ - after the Rock and corps week that summer. I could just tell you weren't the Socks I had known, knew there was something not right, so I just talked to you and tried to be a blessing. I just remember they were not treating you right - I guess it was body language. Thanks for sharing that.

Newlife, I know what you mean, on staff at Emporia I was told to put down my music, sell my guitars and move on - which I did like an idiot. I was using borrowed instruments at HQ. When I went on the field after HQ in '84 it took me almost two years to decide it was ok to play again and I would not be going against God's will. I started jamming at this little blues bar on Sundays called Dan Lynch's - the only bluesbar in the city at that time. From there, once I got my chops up to speed again (VanHalen, Randy Rhoads, etc. - the lead shredders), as lead playing style had changed quite a bit while I was in the corps and on staff, I was constantly in bands and had a wonderful time, and made some great new "natural man" friends. So, Newlife, hang in, keep doing what you love, maybe get some recording equipment for your computer (you can get it for as little as $99 now), make a little myspace page, put your music there - people will listen. Continue to do what you love...

Newlife

Same thing happened to me.

I was mostly into writing. I was told to choose between music or the ministry. I didn't play or write for my first 2 or three years in TWI. That ability to write never really came back to me. But, what I have found after all these years of being out of TWI is that the creativity is still there. It just looks for other avenues to express itself. Some of them are musical and some are not. If it's in there, it will find its way to the outside. Remember the old John Lee Hooker song? "He's got the boogie in him and it's got to come out!" :lol: A big part of it is to not try to force it. Just let it flow.

Edited by waysider

Newlife,

I'm going through my own challenge. After leaving the group I felt like I lost my drive. And the attempted reunion just made things worse. I wish I were still in my own home town back in New York. I have plenty of friends that I played with in high school who still live in the area and I could get together with them and get my creativity flowing. Out here the only musicians I know are from the group and I don't think it would work playing with any of them.

Hey, TZ

Maybe you could hit some of the local jams and do some 145 stuff, ya know? The old 12 bar blues.

That's usually good for meeting local musicians.

If nothing else, they're usually a lot of fun.

One/ Four/ Five works really good in Bluegrass too!

(Are you sure you don't want to add some 7th and 9th chords in there too??) :biglaugh:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was a picker when I got in twi, and (yes), it was suggested that I put down the instruments in *favor of the Word*.

After ignoring their suggestions, and being pressed to do so in repeated confrontations --- I told them to stuff it.

They (the local twig/ branch/ etc.) liked it well enough when I played for the functions, but didn't want me doing it any time else.

Moved to Minney-soda as a WOW in 1978, and found some bluegrass pickers up here and started a weekly jam here in a local pub.

In 78 - 79, there were 5 WOW families up here, and they all came to the jams to listen to the music and witness to the crowd.

Since we (the pickers) all sat around a round table while playing there at the jam,

I was accused of sitting in with a *circle jerk* by my WOW family leader (who couldn't carry a tune in a bucket).

While being castigated for *abandoning the Word* (because I chose to continue to pick with these folks on twig night),

all Wednesday twigs were moved from the home fellowship locations to Sir Ben's (the pub), where there was music/ people/ beer/ and wine.

Shucks -- I coordinated and ran these jams where everyone was happy and having fun.

More folks were signed up for pfal there during those jam sessions than anywhere else in town.

I still scratch my head (these many years later) and think --- "What were they (twi) complaining about?"

The (not so ironic) thing about this is --- after 31 years, that Bluegrass jam session is still going on every Wednesday night/

as well as a different one I started for Old Time Music in 1993 (at the same establishment every Thursday night) 16 years ago.

The *circle jerk* (two nights now instead of just one) lives on. There is no twi here anymore. The ORG is gone, the music lives.

Far as I am concerned --- Music is a gift given to some folks. Just like any other aptitude that any one else might have. I never saw twi asking Hayes Gahagen to give up his political ambitions, and concentrate on the Word only. Nor do I remember docic asking those two pro football players (I think they were with the New England Patriots -- correct me if I have this one wrong), to give up the *pro* life, and concentrate ONLY the Word. Nor did they ever ask Doctors to stop practicing medicine in order to *get their priorities straight*. Why did they single out musicians, and our love for music, and not others, eh??

Cripes. They should of asked lcm to give up his dancing career -- woops. Wait a minute. That's an oxymoron. :)

Short of the long of it is --- It's YOUR life!!!! Live it any dang way you want to!

I've got some nice instruments here, and I take it VERY unkindly if I'm told I SHOULDN'T be playing them.

Anyone tells me what to do with my life ---- I tell them to TAKE A HIKE!

Of course -- they may not be into hiking, so if they choose not to, that's their decision.

I'll give them the option of making that decision, just as they should allow me mine. :)

Edited by dmiller

• 2 weeks later...

Whew, glad I rebelled.

I am a musician and was in a "worldly" top band.

Got to TWI and was told that I was putting something before God.

I thought, huh? Musician is a doing thing, you are a musician. Part of that wonderful and awesomely made thing.

Tried to pursue some contribution but was flat out told by a leader that "we have enough musicians in the ministry. why don't you look for what God wants you to do in the body?"

On the off chance I did play, I felt wrong for doing it.

After the "fellowship" I went home and played my face off. Never felt repentent.

Told I should go Corps.

I responded that I disagreed with musicians putting down their instruments.

It is a God-given talent and like the running thing, you have to do it every day. It is a muscle (albeit to the casual observer, not a spiritual muscle, though it is).

It is my prayer; my form of communicating back to the Great Musician. It is like the blood in the veins.

I also wondered why the other "arts" weren't told to put down their hammers and the like. Why were musicians singled out?

Then, at the Rock in the Chris Geer visit, a "leader" told me that it was something I was, not something I did. Duh.

I take this agreement with a grain of salt because this leader did something in the mark and avoid witch hunt that told me, according to Timothy, was not the mark of a true leader.

I still subscribe to the thinking that a day not playing is a day dishonoring the Great Musician.

I am a musician and was in a "worldly" top band.

Got to TWI and was told that I was putting something before God.

I thought, huh? Musician is a doing thing, you are a musician. Part of that wonderful and awesomely made thing.

If you were in a top band (and I'm not saying you weren't), I find the lack of capitalization on that by TWI to be remarkable. Not due to your ability, but more for your fame. Even if you aren't a front man, there is still a fan base.