GreaseSpot Cafe

Opinions on this...

Tzaia

Nothing that happens to you, matters very much, or lasts very long; but the way you take it, matters a lot, and will last forever

I'm afraid I must disagree with this statement.

An error in judgment, while making a left turn, may matter a great deal and have very long lasting effects, regardless of how you "take them".

• Upvote 1

Nothing that happens to you, matters very much, or lasts very long; but the way you take it, matters a lot, and will last forever

In a strange kind of way, I kind of get this..

and no.. I don't see it as any kind of justification for wickedness, or blaming the victim.

Isn't it true though? I think it's like eating meat offered to idols.. the way the guy in that culture takes it.. is that if you eat, you are "screwed up"..

In a strange kind of way, I kind of get this..

and no.. I don't see it as any kind of justification for wickedness, or blaming the victim.

Isn't it true though? I think it's like eating meat offered to idols.. the way the guy in that culture takes it.. is that if you eat, you are "screwed up"..

I would be very interested in how you get this - strange or not.

• Upvote 2

I dont know what you mean, as in waysiders post --a local 24 year old got killed in a car wreck last night for passing across the center line--a small thing that lasted forever for him and his family and friends, That certainly matters a lot to them

I dont know what you mean, as in waysiders post --a local 24 year old got killed in a car wreck last night for passing across the center line--a small thing that lasted forever for him and his family and friends, That certainly matters a lot to them

All I want right now is input on what this statement says to you. I'm not going to offer context or anything that might bias beyond that it is not from me.

• Upvote 1

Kinda goes along with the epithet, "It'll all be the same in 100 years' time."

Most things, for most people, really don't matter, long-term. It's "who you are that matters" - if anything does!

All I want right now is input on what this statement says to you. I'm not going to offer context or anything that might bias beyond that it is not from me.

Without a context I really dont know what you are getting at or what you want me to comment on, its much too obscure of a statement

People meet their spouses, conceive children, choose careers and make good and bad decisions in a very small moment of time-that can have a very long term effect. Others take their first hit off of a crack pipe, heroin needle, or even a cigarette once, for the first time at some point in time. Someone else may contract AIDS after a bad decision and cut their life short.

Somethings that you decide to do, do matter.

I dont know what you mean by things that "happen to you" either.

Is that like being in a fire that you have no control over? or being shot or raped?

Without context, Im not sure what you are getting at. A lot of things dont matter all that much but Im also glad that my mother didnt say "I have a headache-not tonight" the night that I was conceived.

That would have greatly mattered to me no matter what my attitude was :)

This is all very cryptic. . . who is the "us" that you want the opinion shared with?. . . it is in the title. To quote Meg Ryan "Happy - smile. Sad - frown. Use the corresponding face for the corresponding emotion."

Posted Yesterday, 05:29 PM Nothing that happens to you, matters very much, or lasts very long; but the way you take it, matters a lot, and will last forever

That's not much different from "stop complaining and renew you mind" is it?

Personally? I thought it was ridiculous.

Nothing (absolute language) that happens to you, matters very much (really ), or lasts very long (really?); but the way you take it, matters a lot (does the way you take something always matter a lot?), and will last forever (is a very long time).

If nothing that happens to you matters very much or last for very long, then how can how you take it matter, much less forever.

It makes no sense.

That's a relief. I've always enjoyed your posts and I was afraid you went off the deep end...

Always? Hopefully so far. Where I went off the deep end was when I tried to explain to the person how convoluted the logic was. Boy was that a stupid moment.

:wink2: love it, even if I'm not sure what it means. I do agree that words like 'never, always and forever' are dangerous ones in real life.

Why do you love it, even if you're not sure what it means? I am honestly trying to wrap my mind around this quote that two have claimed is the most influential quote in their lives.

I am honestly trying to wrap my mind around this quote that two have claimed is the most influential quote in their lives.

Well, that in its self demonstrates the dichotomy of the whole thing. In other words, how can hearing this one quote have such monumental impact if the original concept holds true?

Edited by waysider

I love it 'cuz it reminds me of the tried and true 'act, don't react' kind of thing.

If I don't take time to consider what it going on, where it might be coming from, look at all of the picture rather than just what I'm seeing in front of me, I'm going to miss what might be vital info to then go from there on.

And never say never especially grabs my attention.

Words are like rocks, once we throw them, we can not undo the throw.