JustThinking

16 members have voted

1. 1. Did your corpse witness with you and did they register people

• Yes and they registered people for the foundational class
    • Yes but they didn't win any/many
    • They went out with us but didn't actually witness
    • No, they sent us without them
    • We didn't witness other than on our own
    • I was corps (Please give us your thoughts)

All,

There are a couple of threads going about a new witnessing class. During most of my time in TWI, witnessing was pretty much required. But it seemed like the corpse were somehow exempt. Keeping the Adversary in check, I'm sure. I can't remember a corpse person bringing anyone new during my last 10 years in TWI. (80s and 90s)

In your area did the corpse witness with you and did they register people for a class? Feel free to say which decade(s) your answer covers. In TWI's view witnessing is ONLY effective if someone registers for a class and pays money. Their outlook, not mine.

JT

• Upvote 1

Simple answer is no, they hated to witness.

They loved to teach. I think they liked to teach so they caould look so spiritual.

I even went Way Disciple and the way corp never went out.

The best memory I have is her flirting with the guy at Starbucks and getting his number.

He never came to fellowship but went to him a few times???

copenhagen

In my area, during the 80s, 90s.......corps went witnessing, brought new people in and signed them up for the class. As corps, I understand that many here on GS had bad experiences with heavy-handed leadership.....but that's not the approach that some of us embraced.

Some of my greatest "God moments" were catalyzed by being out and about with people.

One of the last times I remember WC going "with us" was a gray and very rainy day on the Left Coast when the wonderful BL and his pregnant wife took a bunch of us to this apartment complex and told us in no uncertain terms to go win one for TWI. Of course, this being at that time the least religious city in the country, we got lots of door slammed in our faces. However, the BL and wifey found some sweet little old lady who invited the mommy-to-be in for tea, out of pity for her standing in the rain, and they cozily ensconced themselves around this woman's dining room table, the BL only reappearing from time to time to yell at those of us who were still out stumbling around in the downpour.

Such love! Because they were comfortable, we got to witness to everybody in the whole complex, then stand around for an hour waiting to be given permission to go home.

When I was on my WOW year our WC BL never went witnessing with us, not even when she told us each twig was to get a class together in one week or leave the field.

WG

• Upvote 1

One of the last times I remember WC going "with us" was a gray and very rainy day on the Left Coast when the wonderful BL and his pregnant wife took a bunch of us to this apartment complex and told us in no uncertain terms to go win one for TWI. Of course, this being at that time the least religious city in the country, we got lots of door slammed in our faces. However, the BL and wifey found some sweet little old lady who invited the mommy-to-be in for tea, out of pity for her standing in the rain, and they cozily ensconced themselves around this woman's dining room table, the BL only reappearing from time to time to yell at those of us who were still out stumbling around in the downpour.

Such love! Because they were comfortable, we got to witness to everybody in the whole complex, then stand around for an hour waiting to be given permission to go home.

When I was on my WOW year our WC BL never went witnessing with us, not even when she told us each twig was to get a class together in one week or leave the field.

WG

Sounds like some regimented and hypocritical BS you went through there WG. I'm sorry you had to endure it.

Well I can only speak for the few years I was in and one of those was as a WOW and the rest in Way Homes so yes our Corps did go out and witness with us ... but I was lucky as most of our witnessing involved just going to different places together and hanging out and meeting people... I only went door to door one time I hated that kind of witnessing because it was so uncomfortable .. My years in were 79-83 the areas were Montana, and Idaho I won't count Colorado as I took the class and pretty much went wow 6 weeks later about so I wasn't around to go witnessing for there but The Corps is who put together the class I took in Colorado and there were about 20 of us in that class..

Again I reiterate that the corps at that time where I was at out west was very laid back...

I had some widely differing experiences, sometimes from the same person.

When I lived in NYC there weren't many WC around, so it didn't come up.

When I was a WOW our interim Corps guy did a lot of his witnessing at the homes of single women, but then again, none of us exactly adhered to the rules & regulations of the WOW program.

During the 90's our Branch coordinator once signed up a guy for (the last in Nebraska) PFAL class during a Rise & Expansion Class, and he & his wife witnessed 3 hours each day after Martindale made it a requirement of all full time Corps. The same guy once screamed at me for cutting off my group's witnessing ten minutes early to watch him play basketball...yeah, that was his witnessing...playing basketball.

For most of my life, ,most of the corps I knew were my family and people we were in res with. My parents did go witnessing before and after being corps. All the corps in our days went out as "light bearers" (was that it) while in res and many people "won" folks and even got classes together in a short period of time. I would say most did not get classes together though, if my memory serves me correctly. I lived with them till the early 90's and my mother did get people to come, some of which still go to fellowships, my step dad did not, but he did still go witnessing. Other corps in our area in the late 80's and 90's also witnessed but I don't remember who won who.

In the 90's and early 00's I remember the corps occasionally going out with us, but never got a fish on the line. Very few people did. There was not and still is not a lot of growth in that area or most areas for TWI.

I think in part it had something to do with your personality and who you chose to talk to. Some people had the knack but many people did not. As some corps increasingly became hard-asses, I think they were less likely to "win" anyone. They were more adept at running people off.

Like I said though, there were still some with the attitude or personality that worked for witnessing and finding new people. To be fair, I was not one of them. In my 20ish years of growing up in TWI, I went to many organized witnessing events and witnessed to most of my friends to some degree (until college) and the only people I ever got to come to a fellowship were girls I dated or was good friends with. One got as far as the second session, then left a note with her books, collaterals, etc on my bed saying that she would not be finishing the class and that she was breaking up with me. Smart girl! The second is now my wife and she would not have lasted if I had stayed. But lucky for us I left before she made it to her second meeting :beer:

Edited by lindyhopper

Let's face it.

What we're looking at here is a performance evaluation for a sales force.

Waysider,

I think you nailed it. It was probably also a good place to spot potential corpse. They had to be sales people too. I wish I had added another option: "They went out but only to supervise or watch us."

JT

Edited by JustThinking

Waysider,

I think you nailed it. It was probably also a good place to spot potential corpse. They had to be sales people too. I wish I had added another option: "They went out but only to supervise or watch up."

JT

Corpse might have had to work their arses off at HQ or any of the campuses, but whenever they were out on the field, many of them expected to be waited on.

• Upvote 1

Corpse might have had to work their arses off at HQ or any of the campuses, but whenever they were out on the field, many of them expected to be waited on.

That must have gotten difficult when a limb was down to 20 or less people. Hard to wave to an adoring crowd of 5. :biglaugh:

I wonder if there are more corpse now than corpse jobs or the other way around? Kind of like musical chairs for tyrants. Before I left, we made three twigs out of two just so a new corpse grad could have a field slot. It turned two iffy twigs into three weak ones but who cares, right? :realmad:

JT

When I first moved to the Houston area, the C@gles were branch leaders and were very active in witnessing. They pushed others to go out witnessing, often every night for a couple of weeks, but they were always right there in the thick of it. The P@nnerellos were also active in their part of town. That's probably why Houston went from about fifteen twigs to something like 60 in the early to mid '80's. (Many of the grads had never been involved in an audiotape class, because classes were easily drawing 15 or more new students.) In later years, this dropped off some (probably becuase of so many Corps departures). Still, when Rise and Expansion classes ran, Corps were out there door-to-door with the rest of us.

Side note: I still remember Paul Mosq... telling everyone that we were going door-to-door after some session or other and then seeing the response:

YEAAAAY! Sh-t! :lol:

George

Fellow Laborers was a closed corporation. We weren't allowed to socialize with outsiders. When we went door to door witnessing, we had to turn our "leads" over to the local leaders of the areas we witnessed in. The only exception I ever saw (Maybe there were others that I didn't see.) was when one of the FLO witnessed to a local bank president and his wife. They, of course, got special undershepharding provided to them by the person who witnessed to them. Does that make that particular FLO a bad person? Of course not. It does show, however, that there were ulterior motives behind the directives being given to us. In my opinion, when FLO were sent out door to door witnessing, we were LITERALLY, not metaphorically, being used as a sales force for *PLAF (The Wonder Class).

*PLAF

Puke, Loogie And Flatulence

Edited by waysider

The only exception I ever saw (Maybe there were others that I didn't see.) was when one of the FLO witnessed to a local bank president and his wife. They, of course, got special undershepharding provided to them by the person who witnessed to them.

Did Mr. & Mrs. Bank Prez fall for all the flattery?

Some of you should really get a life. This is a pathetic topic. Does it really help you deal with your bad Way experience? 'Corpse". Pretty immature. Can't say 'Corps'? You just might do better with therapy. Still struggling to find a topic that has not been covered?

'Christians can't dance' = funny. "Rocky Horror of the Spirit" = hilarious. The forums - what is the point of some of these posts? Wow, I know bitterness can be like a sickness, but this is way over the top.

I just don't see how some of this stuff helps you 'get over it'.

Waylaid,

First off nice name????

ypu said "I just don't see how some of this stuff helps you 'get over it'."

This stuff helps me get thru it..

There is a lot of good stuff here, info here about a new class I have not heard of yet????

Before your to quick to judge everyone, walk in their shoes for awhile.

Many have come on strong to defend the way only to change their opnion.

Many have come here and looked down and us all and left.

Which are you??

First cup is on me.. Stay and learn.

copenhagen

Some of you should really get a life. This is a pathetic topic. Does it really help you deal with your bad Way experience? 'Corpse". Pretty immature. Can't say 'Corps'? You just might do better with therapy. Still struggling to find a topic that has not been covered?

'Christians can't dance' = funny. "Rocky Horror of the Spirit" = hilarious. The forums - what is the point of some of these posts? Wow, I know bitterness can be like a sickness, but this is way over the top.

I'm sure that there will be posters who try to be nice to you and explain what they think you are missing when making your misguided comments. I'm not one of them. Like most of the pinheaded drive-by posters who swoop in here with advice and observations, you pop in with your knee-jerk ignorant, rude remarks as if there's some deep wisdom behind them. Pathetic topic? It speaks directly to the tendency of some Way leaders to expect the rank & file to do all the grunt work while they sit above the fray spouting disconnected scriptures.You have a problem with the use of the term "Corpse" for Way Corps? Too bad...it demonstrates how many of us feel about the Way Corps program...which I'm sure we can all spell correctly.

Watch the "therapy" remarks, by the way, it's against the rules of the forum.

You don't think that weird dancing was funny? Frightening maybe, and Rocky Horror of the Spirit...jeez, lighten up.

Bitterness? Just callin' 'em like we see 'em.

So, now that you've confirmed that all of us ex-wayfers are possessed, why don't you run along back to your cult.

• Upvote 2

Make fun of my name? Immature, like I said before. That's a character issue. I did not condemn 'everyone'. You did.

You said:

They loved to teach. I think they liked to teach so they caould look so spiritual.

Speak for yourself. I walked in other people's shoes. I graduated from the Way Corps and was not like that. No, I am not here to 'grind my axe', I just made a comment. If you have really been here for three years like your profile shows, I think you might come to the realization that you might (just might) explore another road to freedom. I am sincerely glad you think this helps - I was just making an observation. I won't bring it up with you again. I'm not the one with the 'Daddy issues' here. I went through, I saw and I left. End of story.

Yes, I was screwed like you were. On to better things. 'Won't Get Fooled Again'.

Is it not fair to express my opinion? Do I have to 'pig-pile' to get accepted here? That's unusual. Seriously. If I don't dump on the Way, I'm the jerk? Come on. I was just commenting that I don't see the benefit in some of these posts. Real forensic bitching at times. Go ahead - I have an open mind - explain it to me.

• Upvote 2

Oakspear,

Okay, my point exactly. You have spent 7953 posts getting your point across. That's a lot of time brother. I am not a 'drive-by'. What's the matter? Challenge your world? Wow.

I apologize for mentioning 'therapy' if it is against the rules of the forum. Seriously apologize. That said, you seem to have an automatic aversion to anything that flows against your experiences. I guess it's a good assumption (perhaps I am wrong) that you never experienced the Way Corps. Most severe critics did not.

Not hanging on to any cult. I have nothing to do with the Way International. Like you, I think it was despicable. Have not for a long time. I suppose I am not welcome here because I am not permanently scarred - is that your point?

My post was not intended to be rude. I personally think you are quiet rude. Thanks for the welcome.

Oakspear,

Okay, my point exactly. You have spent 7953 posts getting your point across. That's a lot of time brother. I am not a 'drive-by'. What's the matter? Challenge your world? Wow.

I apologize for mentioning 'therapy' if it is against the rules of the forum. Seriously apologize. That said, you seem to have an automatic aversion to anything that flows against your experiences. I guess it's a good assumption (perhaps I am wrong) that you never experienced the Way Corps. Most severe critics did not.

Not hanging on to any cult. I have nothing to do with the Way International. Like you, I think it was despicable. Have not for a long time. I suppose I am not welcome here because I am not permanently scarred - is that your point?

My post was not intended to be rude. I personally think you are quiet rude. Thanks for the welcome.

Waylaid,

Your name does have a double-entendre.

I have to wonder how many people come to this site for info on TWI after being witnessed to. . . . and decide not to go to a fellowship or take a class. . . due to the posts here.

You might agree that is a good thing. . . no?

Wish I had never heard of TWI myself. . . . of course I did. . . and issues do arise. . . I am glad there are people who 'get it' and offer some support. . . we have a very unique history. . . not THAT many of us lived to tell :) . . . it is an odd sort of camaraderie. But, still the same it is often helpful and can be fun.

Stick around. . .

Edited by geisha779

"Get a life","pathetic topic",and "pretty immature". To my count that is three insults in one paragraph and that is cutting you a break, because some of your other comments may be taken as insulting too. You've set the tone sofar Waylaid, and it is not good!

"bitterness", "can be like a sickness", and "way over the top"?

(Sarcasm warning) OOOOOHHHH, I just feel your love, TTTHHHPPP!

I suggest listening more, and typing insults no more.

Make fun of my name? Immature, like I said before. That's a character issue. I did not condemn 'everyone'.

I'm pretty sure you actually have been insulting pretty much everybody here sofar.

You did.

You said:

Speak for yourself. I walked in other people's shoes. I graduated from the Way Corps and was not like that. No, I am not here to 'grind my axe', I just made a comment. If you have really been here for three years like your profile shows, I think you might come to the realization that you might (just might) explore another road to freedom. I am sincerely glad you think this helps - I was just making an observation. I won't bring it up with you again. I'm not the one with the 'Daddy issues' here. I went through, I saw and I left. End of story.

I do not know what you were like when you graduated the Way Corps, but if it is anything like you have been in your posts sofar (Insults and telling us how you are better than all of this) I'd be glad to say that according to your own manner you seem to me to represent some of the worst of "Way Corps" mannerisms.

Yes, I was screwed like you were. On to better things. 'Won't Get Fooled Again'.

Is it not fair to express my opinion? Do I have to 'pig-pile' to get accepted here? That's unusual. Seriously. If I don't dump on the Way, I'm the jerk? Come on. I was just commenting that I don't see the benefit in some of these posts. Real forensic bitching at times. Go ahead - I have an open mind - explain it to me.

ok, I will. You are insulting, you have a "I'm better than you" attitude, and it is fairly easy to imagine you being able to lead only those who believe in your self promoted superiority. Around here some of us refer to these things as WAY CORPS.

• Upvote 1