GreaseSpot Cafe

How old does this make you feel?

Ron G.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M815wioVpt0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M815wioVpt0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M815wioVpt0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Hiya, Twinky

You really have to look at the original clips in my first post before looking at the parody in the second post to understand the humor. Beaver and Wally and their whole bunch lived a life that was so incredibly foreign to the blue collar life that I, and probably lots of others, came from, it's laughable. The typical 50's American "Dad" was more likely to teach you a life lesson with the leather strap than a philosophical father/son talk.

well, not to defend a dopey sitcom-but there were aspects of 'Beaver' that reflected 'real life' better than most shows. Mostly from the dysfunctional friends and neighbors. The evil Eddie Haskell, charming to the parents while torturing Beaver. Overweight Larry, who is always eating , and getting Beaver to do the wrong thing. Lumpy and his equally pathetic father. Beaver's parents may have been too good to be true, but every other parent in town seemed to be beating or threatening their kids. I also like Beaver and Wally, until Beaver's voice changed which made him sort of 'creepy'.

It was one of my favorite shows. I was about the same age as the Beav. And I looked like him. I came home from a summer in Ireland, not knowing about the phenomenon. Girls were yelling and screaming when they saw me, but not running in the opposite direction like they normally did. Finally one of the Security guys told me that I looked like the Beaver. Thank God I don't look like him now!!

I still enjoy watching the Leave It to Beaver reruns on TV Land.

I think it's a pretty realistic glimpse into being a kid in the 50s. Not all of us had dads who wore suits and ties, but I'll bet most of us got ourselves into the same kinds of messes "the Beav" and his friends did. And Ward (the dad) was portrayed as not being perfect. He screwed up lots of times, but always admitted it. I don't think I ever saw June (the mom) do anything wrong, though.

well, not to defend a dopey sitcom-but there were aspects of 'Beaver' that reflected 'real life' better than most shows. Mostly from the dysfunctional friends and neighbors. The evil Eddie Haskell, charming to the parents while torturing Beaver. Overweight Larry, who is always eating , and getting Beaver to do the wrong thing. Lumpy and his equally pathetic father. Beaver's parents may have been too good to be true, but every other parent in town seemed to be beating or threatening their kids. I also like Beaver and Wally, until Beaver's voice changed which made him sort of 'creepy'.

Yeah, I think a lot of us identified with the "supporting" cast more than the leads.

Yeah, I think a lot of us identified with the "supporting" cast more than the leads.

June Cleaver. How did she ever do any housework in those perfectly starched dresses and those heels?

Thanks Ron for the photo and Paw for letting us know how old the photo is. Amazing.

Edited by waterbuffalo

At best I found the show to be creepy. And I always hated the dweeb Mathers. I'm really hardpressed to figure out it's appeal. Of course, I have a hard time figuring out the popularity of ChocolateChip/Mint Ice Cream too.

My, but the years have not been kind to any of those three in the cast though. Is it the year, or the mileage? Yeeee...

How old does this make you feel.. well, not TOO old. I think *they* are likely 20 + years older than myself..

Give me 20 years if I live that long Ron, and I'll give you a report. That is, if you live that long as well..

:biglaugh:

well.. hope you do anyway..

*live long and prosper*..

I never liked the show because it reminded me how my older sister use to torment me.

Older sisters are evil. Well today I love the socks off her. Then I use to hate her.

I feel the same way about my older brother. Boy, he used to really give me "the business!"

Dang, now I feel like I look like one hot mama compared to these guys. Maybe, they enjoyed too much of that California sun.

The boy loves Leave It To Beaver. He is mesmerized by the show. "Wow, mom, is that how times use to be?" This is the same boy that asked me some years ago if paved roads had been invented when I was a kid. I think this was about the time he was studying Roman history!

While still involved in the public school system I read a report/study. It was 5 years ago and I don't remember the source. It was a magazine published for teachers. Full episodes of Leave It To Beaver were shown to at risk students. At first, students guffawed and made fun. By the second episode these students were interested and captivated. The study reported that the episodes had a calming effect of the students. Students were quoted as saying they wish they had a family like that. Very interesting article.

• Upvote 1

Along the lines of what Waysider was saying, none of my friends' fathers ever came home from work in a suit and tie. Nor did any of us live in such a large house. I liked the show OK and I sensed it was about folks who were better off materially than those in my neighborhood. That didn't bother me though. It was like it would be great if my dad could just get a good job and we could move to a fancy place.

sudo

I dunno. Are you sure that is the actual cast? With the long hair and big eyes, Wally kinda looks like an acid head..

not that that is a bad thing or something..

Just ignore me. Maybe I'm interjecting too much sixties into the fifties..

Nope you aren't. LSD was first synthesized in the 30's and, if memory serves me, Sandoz discovered the psychedelic properties in the 40's.

• Upvote 1

Nope you aren't. LSD was first synthesized in the 30's and, if memory serves me, Sandoz discovered the psychedelic properties in the 40's.

...if memory serves me I discovered the psychedelic synthesis sometime after I got the news about the Beaver.

On another note, I was so saddened to hear about Officers Toody and Muldoon during the Watts riots.