GreaseSpot Cafe

Mandatory Volunteering

Oakspear

On Thursday I received a letter signed by the President of our company telling me all about how our company would be sponsoring a big event by a non-profit group taking place in our city. The letter went on to say that any salaried managers who volunteered for an 8-hour shift would be given a 1/2 day off as an incentive. So far so good.

Page two began with the sentence "Only those on vacation for the entire week of this event will be excused from volunteering". So it's not volunteering, it's mandatory.

I object in principle to being told by my employer what I can do in my off time, or even if they want to spin it as work time, it's objectionable to be used as labor for a charitable organization that I didn't choose.

But is it illegal? I've tried googling "mandatory volunteering" and haven't come up with much; most of the hits are regarding high school citizenship classes.

Anybody know whether this is legal or not?

Well considering where you live ie Nebraska, It probably very legal. I'm not against Nebraska, in fact most of my relatives hailed from there, I know Mom, Dad, a sister and a brother were born there. I'm just pointing out that Nebraska isn't, how shall I say this, very progressively endowed.

I hear you, man. That would bother me too.

I don't know what state you live in but New York is what they call an "employment-at-will" state (or something like that) which means that, without a contract or union to protect you, an employer can hire or fire you any time they want for any reason (assuming it is not discriminatory in any way, in which case the burden of proof would be on you to show discrimination).

So the question(s) would not be whether it's legal, it would be more along the lines of how badly do you need the job and how likely are you to suffer any ramifications of not attending this event?

It's the same thing as a mandatory donation. United Way is famous for it. I'm sure they must have explored all the legal aspects of it by now or they wouldn't continue the practice.

My personal opinion

Serve your time FIRST.

THEN raise your objections.

This isn't uncommon in most work places these days... I don't doubt that some sorta tax write off might not be involved with this... But is this really a bad thing when you think about it? I don't think so. I think it raises community awareness, gives your employer some good PR, and might give you a life-experience you haven't had before. Maybe you can suggest other volunteering options to your manager, if the opportunity presents itself. I hear your concerns about CHOICE but still... what is it exactly that's so bad about this?

Im not sure about Nebraska but my state has a Department of Labor or Employment or some such thing that you can call with legal questions reagrding work situations.

Its in the Blue Government Pages at the front of the phone book. Either that or call the Attorney General's Office. they should either answer you or refer you to the Department that will.

"Mandatory volunteering" is an oxymoron.

Sounds like the Way Corps to me. We were called "volunteers" but we were voluntary slaves.

But I don't think it's illegal if they can get away with it. The employers can always manufacture another reason to get rid of those who choose to object to their "volunteerism."

WG

But I don't think it's illegal if they can get away with it.

Except that the brainiacs put it in writing :doh:

Only those on vacation for the entire week of this event will be excused from volunteering". So it's not volunteering, it's mandatory.
Anybody know whether this is legal or not?

If you WANT to volunteer thats one thing, but if your employer requires you to be there I would think that he is required to pay you....thats common sense.....but.... I dont know the laws in Nebraska

If you were my employee, Id want you to come just for show of your own free will if you could -- but if I absolutely needed you to be there or if you were doing any work while you were there I know I would pay you because legal or not thats just fair.

Im curious to hear what the Nebraskas AG's office has to say on this.

Since this apparently is a business promo and PR move to the community the business should expect to accrue some legitimate business expenses doing it.

If you feel strongly about it, I wouldnt let them weasel you out of it.

If you dont want to go, dont beat around the bush--

just_say_no.jpg

Edited by mstar1

My co-worker calls it "voluntold"...which pretty much sums it up.

I'm all for genuine volunteering, but I understand resistance to being told what to do by someone in authority, especially considering our collective experience in twi-dum.

Our manager voluntold our department to sign up for something almost a year ago, which I have resisted by simply "forgetting". I don't know what you can do legally...but a highly contagious "stomach virus" is always good in a pinch.

I don't know what state you live in but New York is what they call an "employment-at-will" state (or something like that) which means that, without a contract or union to protect you, an employer can hire or fire you any time they want for any reason (assuming it is not discriminatory in any way, in which case the burden of proof would be on you to show discrimination).

So the question(s) would not be whether it's legal, it would be more along the lines of how badly do you need the job and how likely are you to suffer any ramifications of not attending this event?

I thought this was worthy of repeating.

This isn't uncommon in most work places these days... I don't doubt that some sorta tax write off might not be involved with this... But is this really a bad thing when you think about it? I don't think so. I think it raises community awareness, gives your employer some good PR, and might give you a life-experience you haven't had before. Maybe you can suggest other volunteering options to your manager, if the opportunity presents itself. I hear your concerns about CHOICE but still... what is it exactly that's so bad about this?

We had to buy pizzas we couldn't afford for some charity once . . . so the boss could go on a cruise apparently . . . it's bad enough they don't pay you for the first 40 hours of work -_-

Edited by Bolshevik

I consulted a labor lawyer. It is legal for a company to require this for salaried employees, which I am.

And no, I cannot afford to loose my job over this.

With you getting 4 hours of "comp" time, you aren't exactly volunteering. If you do this during work hours, you're not volunteering at all, you're just working somewhere else.