GreaseSpot Cafe

The Weird Little No-Nos of TWI

JavaJane

There were so many big rules we had to follow (no debt, had to be an Advanced Class Grad to get married, etc...)

but there were a lot of little ones, too:

the two drink limit

no good thing happens after midnight (curfew for WOWs and WDs)

no dating unbelievers

no marriage between Way castes (WC married WC)

no gambling

have to stand when clergy entered a room

pantyhose had to be worn for best dress after 5:00 pm

"casually nice" clothes

2x2 ALWAYS

don't say anything negative

don't use any of the following words: luck, create, creative, hope

make your bed every day or you are out of fellowship

kids need to be beaten with spoons and trained like dogs

the suggestion of a leader is tantamount to a command

no new people at fellowship? Now you have to go make yourself look like an a$$ by witnessing!

Travel plans must be submitted in writing to your leadership.

No secular reading

no religous reading outside twi materials

no Internet

no life.

Edited for swear words... Tee hee.

Edited by JavaJane

Some more I just remembered (for those of you who still think there isn't legalism in the Way)

wait two years after marriage to have kids

questions during marriage counselling about "what would you do if your spouse decided to leave the ministry?"

retemories

required attendance at meetings/events

reporting back

and don't forget - no dreaming while you are asleep!

Control control control

I forgot... you also can't say:

Christmas

Valentine's Day

Easter

Halloween

instead you say:

Ho-ho (Household Holiday)

Happy Hearts Day

Ressurection Sunday

Bless or Treat

NO Wearing of crosses or crosses on your walls

no art objects furniture or household objects made in other countries(it would have devil spirits attached to it, if it did come from there)

How about if your family is not part of The Way International they are the enemy and you should not spend any time with them.

Your house should be spotlessly clean

your dresser drawers(Way Corps... at least while i was there) were supposed to be neat and tidy and if your mind was renewed you ought to know exactly how many pair of socks and underware you had.(According to LOY Boy at one of those Way Corps meetings at HQ during Corps week)

Must tithe at least 10 percent. Of Gross income(not Net)

To live the more than Abundant life it needs to be more than that.

Do not pray out loud.. the Devil might find out what you are praying for and send his minions to mess it up.

Children are all possesed or have devil spirits controling them... don't ever be alone with them.(this one was after I left)

Edited for my spelling errors

Edited again to cancel out something I miss understood.

Edited by leafytwiglet

I've been out since about 1987 so some of these are a little strange for me but... children are all possessed? Really? That sounds strange even for TWI.

sudo

Agree. This is one of the most outrageous ideas coming from TWI I've heard yet. I can say I NEVER heard it when I was in from 1970-1987.

the two drink limit

As I've said before, I wouldn't have lasted a week in TWI. :)

Children are all possesed or have devil spirits controling them... don't ever be alone with them.(this one was after I left)

You mean all children are "Children of the Corn"?

Edited by soul searcher

Agree. This is one of the most outrageous ideas coming from TWI I've heard yet. I can say I NEVER heard it when I was in from 1970-1987.

I never heard it taught exactly that way but I sure felt it. Every time Eph 6:1 or "evil is bound in the heart of a child . . .use the rod blah blah" was read all the adult eyes in the room would turn their heads and stare you down.

It's only logical. If you're not corps you've got to find someone you can pick on.

I never heard it taught exactly that way but I sure felt it. Every time Eph 6:1 or "evil is bound in the heart of a child . . .use the rod blah blah" was read all the adult eyes in the room would turn their heads and stare you down.

So...can I infer from your statement that you were a child of parents who were in the Way?

Edited by soul searcher

It's only logical. If you're not corps you've got to find someone you can pick on.

Okay so I am gonna scratch that one out, as maybe my understanding of what they were saying was wrong!

How about laying out your clothes the night before?

Or trying to "discern the spirits" in movies?

Burning the chaff?? (I did some of that earlier - without the literal burning)

calling the leaders of other religoins "seed of the serpent"?

Or trying to "discern the spirits" in movies?

Jesus Criminy!!! I hated that crap! Here I am trying to watch a movie in a group of wayfers and without fail one of them has to demonstrate their super sharp spiritual perception by saying "You know, the adversary works just like that, you can just see spirits of such and such moving in the way that they...blah blah blah!!!" ITS A F$%CKI!NG MOVIE!!!!

If you open it...close it

If you take it out...put it back...

Always leave things better than you found them...apparently this caused difficulty in demolishing the Owens' Trailer. We weren't allowed to say demolish...we dismantled it...BFD, eh?

Endeavor to have a mistake free working environment (would be the same as saying "seek perfection while you work."

After I left came the requirement to actually write out a schedule of the coming week

in 15 minutes increments, submit the schedule, and stick to it.

Frankly, I don't know how that requirement wasn't met with laughter and sarcasm.

(I can only imagine the things I'd write in the middle of the schedule if I submitted one...)

After I left came the requirement to actually write out a schedule of the coming week

in 15 minutes increments, submit the schedule, and stick to it.

Frankly, I don't know how that requirement wasn't met with laughter and sarcasm.

(I can only imagine the things I'd write in the middle of the schedule if I submitted one...)

Yeah, that one didn't last too long... even people who were drinking the Kool-Aid balked at that. I really think it was just a way to make sure they knew where everyone was at all times so LCM could have his trysts where no one would see.

I remember that people would take their babies to fellowship, set them down on a blanket and then used the spoon on them when they would make a noise or fidget. BABIES. Crap, I could barely sit through those long boring meetings without fidgeting! Poor kids.

Well, the schedule was treated in the craziest of manners. You filled out a proposed schedule and submitted it to your coordinator. Yes this included personal info. Then you submitted an actual and if you didn't do what you scheduled on the proposed then you would be confronted for breaking your commitment to do what you scheduled. Also, you would be reminded that the adversary would try and get you to go off course so he could set you up for attack. Naturally, veering off of your schedule is a set up from the adversary.

At HQ it was even worse. You would turn in your schedule to your coordinator and if you wanted to change it you had to call them for approval. These were the days of the travel restrictions to Lima and Troy. These are the same days Rosalie wants back but can't re-instate them for fear of being sued!

To make all of the scheduling madness worse planning and preparation was said to be the highest form of believing....go figure ?

when having checks printed, the husband's name is at the top because he's the head. (it's a no-no to consider yourself equal to your husband or to organize names alphabetically if it puts a wife's name at the top.)

a wife must take her husband's last name. failure to do so is an insult to god. (it's a no-no to keep your birth name no matter how attached you are to it.)

when both husband and wife work full-time, the man is allowed to rest after work if he wants to. (it's a no-no for a woman to refuse to serve her husband or care for her children or neglect the house no matter how tired she may be.)

god will bless a woman who stays with an abusive husband. look what he did for Abigail. (it's a no-no to object to being physically, verbally, or emotionally abused. if Abigail could take it for god, so can you.)