GreaseSpot Cafe

Promotes Harmony in the Home

JavaJane

One of the big "benefits" of taking "the class" that was cited on the sign up card was "promotes harmony on the home" (or maybe it was unity? Thank God I am starting to forget some of the jargon!!) I can't say that it ever did... unless you define harmony as "Man gets what he wants and everyone else needs to sit down and shut up." I guess that could be considered harmonious for one person in the home.

I still have to work hard to not just "eat it" and be the submissive woman I was taught to be from childhood til 30 something. It's hard for me to argue with my husband, even if he is doing something assinine. I am getting better at it (a lot better) but sometimes I still feel like I am a bad wife for not just obeying him. (He doesn't encourage the submissiveness - he actually likes to fight! Weirdo.) I always thought if you had a good marriage, you never fought. You were so "like minded" and "one flesh" that there would never be any disagreements... and if there were, it would obviously be my fault, because God made the man the head... right?

And (our marriage counsellor found this hysterical) the Way's ideas about how the sexual relationship should work in a marriage is NUTS, and not practical at all.

Due benevolence? Right... even when you are sick, even when you are sleep deprived, even if the baby is crying in the next room... due benevolence. I think "due benevolence" could actually be better translated (according to Way usage) as "wife = sex slave."

Harmony in the home? right.

Hey it split up my Dad's marraige,..... lmao!!

Oh never mind, bad example,...

Dad had kids by several women, some -- he was even married to.

We need nametags at our family reunions just to remember everyone's last names (and I'm talking siblings)

Oh wait,.... Never mind,... sorry I said anything here (I think)

I've met some of my sibs moms,.... and they ALL HAD FOND memories of dad

go figure...? It's all beyond me... ...lucky for dad he died before they changed their minds eh?

I think it is rather convenient that the way has a woman as it's president. What a nice little political move. Any topic related to this can all be covered with a "...but the way's president is a woman. " Rosie likes it on top. :)

I think it is rather convenient that the way has a woman as it's president. What a nice little political move. Any topic related to this can all be covered with a "...but the way's president is a woman. " Rosie likes it on top. :)

Hiya Hairgirl!! Welcome aboard!

and

LMAOROFL@Rosalie likes it on top!

LOL and also may prevent lawsuites... against the president unless one of her gilrfirends gets upset

See, my wife and I never bought in to the subservient little woman stuff. We do our best to work out our differences, argue, and whatever else as partners. That's right - equals. THATS ROT!!! :biglaugh:

Benevolence - it went a bit further than that. I sat in a "teaching" delivered to our ladies fellowship by our limb leader. He told us that guys needed "release" every 72 hours and that it was our duty as wives to make sure that happened. I remember sitting there thinking "chapter and verse, buddy."

So then I cornered him after the "teaching" and asked him how his time frame fit in with Judaic law and the period of unclean. I asked him why God didn't take that 72 hour thing into consideration when creating all those laws. I think I made him uncomfortable.

For all we know they may have all been doing the same woman.

See, my wife and I never bought in to the subservient little woman stuff. We do our best to work out our differences, argue, and whatever else as partners. That's right - equals. THATS ROT!!! :biglaugh:

But that's not what good little way corps boys and girls do. A man in your position has to have complete control otherwise his service in the ministry is threatened. What do-do is that!

A LOT of conservative Christian churches teach all of the above, including the New Reformed churches. We have attended one church out of many that did NOT state that women were to keep their mouths shut (except for performing certain marital duties) and do as they were told.

This was an American Baptist church and the pastor was a lovely young woman who was one of the coolest people.

I don't know what our present church teaches, but Grace Brethren and Acts 29 (especially the latter) are pretty adamant about it all.

WG

But that's not what good little way corps boys and girls do. A man in your position has to have complete control otherwise his service in the ministry is threatened. What do-do is that!

Correct! And I could've cared less. To me it was freedom in Christ and I refused to run my life (or wife) that way. Probably one reason I am likely at the top of Rozilla's $h1t list. That and I am rather vocal on Grease Spot.

Correct! And I could've cared less. To me it was freedom in Christ and I refused to run my life (or wife) that way. Probably one reason I am likely at the top of Rozilla's $h1t list. That and I am rather vocal on Grease Spot.

Happy to hear it-glad you're here!

Refreshing honesty.

Hiya, Hairgirl!!! We need to have coffee sometime soon!

So, did anyone else get the teaching that any time you had sex both parties had to have an orgasm? My therapist thought that was extremely amusing... In fact, I believe she laughed out loud.

I think the whole thing was just another way to make wives feel even less... I mean, you have to constantly submit to your husband, have perfect kids, a clean house, be ready at the drop of a hat to have sex no matter what the circumstances, AND you have to enjoy it enough to be wildly orgasmic, every single time!! And if you can't do that, well, you must be a failure.

Oh, you also have to make sure you get in your hour in the wurd evry day... Attend meetings... And the list goes on.

TWI might have said, "Promotes more harmony in the home," BUT in a subtle bait-and-switch, this is what it became:

:34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

:35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. :

36 And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.

:37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

Doncha see, it's in the Bible that there should not be more harmony in the home.

:realmad: