GreaseSpot Cafe

Associate Theology Degree?

skyrider

But back to the Associate Theology(?) Degree(?)..

there are few places in the world that seem to "recognize" that little "diploma".. or attach any significance to the "holy spirit" ring that some recipients were able to purchase.

Again......I think that whole "associate theology degree" was a ruse.

When you step back and look at the broader picture.......around 1976, twi was promoting "The Way College of Emporia" campus with historical Andrew Carnegie Library to acquire an accredited Associate Theology Degree. Twi did not meet those accreditation standards in Kansas......and later, twi informed us that this degree would be issued from the Rome City campus.

The College Division at Emporia had a decent enrollment, but was second tier to the corps program. Some classes combined the college division AND corps......but the 'spiritual-heavy' meetings excluded the college division. See, classes are one thing, but when wierwille was on grounds......only corps were privy to these meetings.

And, how many years did it take before the College Division faded from view.....??

And, how many years did it take before Word in Business Conferences faded away..??

Dr. Victor Paul Wierwille watched over the training of the corps.

Dr. Donald Wierwille was slotted oversight of the College Division.

How serious was that associate theology degree??.....about as serious as the College Division program?? I seriously doubt whether vpw ever wanted a college division in the first place. Maybe the public recognition, but not segregated classes and commitment to keep furthering one's education. The point is -- the driving promotion in twi was the Corps Program and in-house indoctrination. Not accredited class. Not a diploma.

interestingly Kansas State University/ Emporia Campus now owns College of Emporia. Associate degrees are offered by 2 year community colleges, not 4 year institutions.

back to the Associate Theology(?) Degree(?)..

there are few places in the world that seem to "recognize" that little "diploma".. or attach any significance to the "holy spirit" ring that some recipients were able to purchase.

Like.. maybe offshoots..

I know at least one ex way leader who writes in his books that he has a "baccalaureate of theology" from "seminary" in "advanced biblical studies" :rolleyes:

:biglaugh: Thats stretching it a tad--

I suppose it may sound better to his audience than telling them he spent time in a non accredited cult program...

Stretching.. just like the coffee for pfal. and the washed, re-used styrofoam cups. Lipstick stains, and bite marks included..

:biglaugh:

Here is the curriculum for a "baccalaureate" degree from the university I attended. Usually the list is as long and as difficult, for other majors.

I have a major in math, minor in chemistry from this institution..

http://catalog.svsu.edu/preview_program.php?catoid=12&poid=1183&returnto=165

pretty impressive.. just some of the names of the class required, perhaps one cannot even define. at the moment, anyway..

notice there is no work "programme" to make the venture a "success". You know. "work will set you free.." or some such.

Unless one considers lab hours in Physics 211, 212, Organic Chem I and II.. for your chosen minor. Even if not, One is required to sucessfully participate in a class involving some kind of physical science, including some form of lab work..

then there are more than departmental requirements. There are university requirements. They want a graduate to be able to:

compose a major work, with proper documentation, and without plagiarism.

be able to read and intelligently comment on others written works..

have a knowledge of modern history. And be able to consider the REASON behind modern historical contexts..

i.e.. what or why, would China have some kind of *issue* with its early encounters with western civilization. That was the required I chose to take.

It had other labels, but that really basically was the *real* content of the course.

Then one has to show proficiency, reading, writing and understanding a foreign language.

Then there is at least one history class, where one has the rare priviledge of weighing their actions with global implications..

that's what a baccalaureate really entails.. unless it is earned from a degree mill..

Edited by Ham

so... what comprised the qualifications for the baccalaureate in *theology*?

I'm just trying to count marbles here. Ignore me, if I seem troublesome.. I really don't intend to be..

what do we have from da way.

figures of speech I.

Introduction to Hebrew

Introduction to Greek

Introduction to Aramaic

Church history(!)..

*practical* theology(?)

Psychology 101. (no, never in da way..)

competent(?) to counsel..

how to stand up in front of a group and make ridiculous claims..

what ever happened to basic english and history?

I'm still only counting about 29 credits here..

there are about 110 more..

well, at least towards a "baccalaureate".. or in HONEST terms, a Bachellor's degree..

maybe beauty is in the eye of the beholder..

what is it, exactly, that you "completed"?

No. I won't say it is "useless".

I successfully "completed" a few electronics courses in the late seventies through Heath Educational Systems.

close to 40 credits. No, they are not "accredited".

not by state university standards..

I still include their reference on my resume..

Yeah, I can still program a 6800 processor to spit out square roots in binary..

It's something like a command in machine language that says "arimethic shift right" and you look at what comes out of the other end..

there was a catalog for da way once..

maybe somebody could post it..

you know, the curriculum, the classes, the requirements..

what is interesting here.

here is the curriculum for "applied mathematics".

http://catalog.svsu.edu/preview_program.php?catoid=12&poid=1088&returnto=165

if I went back and took Math 211, I would have a double major. Mathematics, and Applied mathematics..

I held out for the 400 level statistics course though, but the seldom offer it..

If one were to count "PFAL, foundational, intermedaiate, and advanced" as core classes. That sill only adds about 12 credits..

If one were to count "PFAL, foundational, intermedaiate, and advanced" as core classes. That sill only adds about 12 credits..

12 credits of pure bull sh **t...12 credits of brainwashing and mind control...12 credits of "give me your money and do what I say"...12 credits of in your face religious diatribe...12 credits of "you just wasted 12 credits"...

I got an Associate of Applied Science many moons ago. Then, I worked on a second one until, with only about 3 hours to go, personal circumstances forced me to abandon that effort. Though I've never had any delusions about he value of a "lowly" Associate Degree, I'm much prouder of the effort it took to attain that one than anything I ever accomplished in The Way..... with the possible exception of being able to make my own mayonnaise.

Edited by waysider

what do we have from da way.

<snip>

I'm still only counting about 29 credits here..

Don't forget....

Light Through an Eastern Window -- Orientalisms

Hunter's Safety Course -- Shooting Range (2 shotgun/ 10 .22 rifle)

Jet-Style Packing

Christian Ediquette

Pulling Weeds 101

The class, grasshopper, the class has it all:

Believing = recieving, psychology

Recieve, Retain, Release, philosophy

Battle of the Senses, physiology

Four Crucified, Math

Giving = Recieving, advanced math

Love is Giving, advanced physiology

Giver and the Gift, English

All that and mangled Greek to boot...

Oh, wait, you mean in the real world. Uh, well, uh...

Carry on.

SoCrates

Edited by So_crates

Ham..I think it is only 120 credits for a BA or BS although I think it may have been enough b.s. for everyone. It would take 20 courses at 3 credits each for a two year degree...and I don't think you can do an Independent Study toward an Associates Degree. The teacher, instructors, or profs would have to be trained and certified.....and possibly know a bit about what they were teaching wouldn't they?

For theology....I am not sure...but, aren't there are certain doctrines which must be taught before a program can be accredited? Isn't that what Atlanta Bible College ran into? A problem about the trinity? Maybe not.

Many undergraduate degrees require two years of a second language...I don't think the Greek would count. :) I took 5 years of French. What a waste. I should have taken Spanish and then used it.

Oh, and then they would have to have a certain number of electives, at least 6 math credits, 3 100 level history credits, 9 100/200 level English credits.....a couple science courses.....and at least two labs....to make up the 120 for the BA and 60 for the Associates. Am I remembering this right? The first two years one usually doesn't even declare a major do they?

Edited by geisha779

I took a half a year of Spanish at this university.

If decided to be a Chemist, it would have ended up being two semesters of German..

well, I am a chemist. Kind of..

So where do we go from here.

I have twenty years experience in electronics and electronic repair..

a *real* four year degree in *almost* computational mathematics, and beyond.

four semesters experience, teaching intermediate algebra. God have mercy on my first set of students..

well, on me too..

and at the end of the semester, I will be approximately 5 credits away from a Masters degree in math..

I hope the students in my first horrid offering of Math 105 are likewise 5 credits away from some kind of degree..

In all fairness. I should have done this about forty years ago..

..I think it is only 120 credits for a BA or BS although I think it may have been enough b.s. for everyone. It would take 20 courses at 3 credits each for a two year degree...

But, it should be noted those are "semester" hours. A "quarter" hour is the equivalent of about .67 semester hours. Thus, it would take about 180 hours to earn the BS or BA under the quarter system. Likewise, it would take about 90 quarter hours to earn an Associate under the quarter system

I'm just saying you have to use a "common denominator" when making these comparisons.

Edited by waysider

So to learn to teach. Gawd almighty..

I have at least one dear friend I've met here..

this was his first year teaching with a graduate assistantship.. he's probably about 25 years old..

I say something like.. it really isn't ethical larning how to teach in these conditions.. and my friend agrees..

no, you don't technically damage the students. You don't teach anything that is technically *wrong*.. but no, otherwise, the first time around, you are just plain awful..

It brings me back to the one character who went through this and got a doctorate. He came to Saginaw Valley..

the *message* was something like.. "thank God for beer.."

ah yes. The students agree here..

St. Patricks day. I saw about 150 students, dressed in various shades of green.. heading to the..

Wayside Bar and Grill..

some were some of mine..

where do we go from here..

But, it should be noted those are "semester" hours. A "quarter" hour is the equivalent of about .67 semester hours. Thus, it would take about 180 hours to earn the BS or BA under the quarter system. Likewise, it would tale about 90 quarter hours to earn an Associate under the quarter system

I'm just saying you have to use a "common denominator" when making these comparisons.

I just counted credits. ..... and the quarter system sounds like math to me. Counting my credits was enough of a challenge. :)

what was worst the first semester.. hmm.

I'm really glad I can record this SOMEWHERE..

thank you Paw, and various moderators..

what was the absolute worst. Here it is..

I am over fifty years old. I'm in a graduate program. With a graduate assistantship, to teach intermediate algebra.

I'm over fifty years old..

and these students expect to find somebody of my age to have about twenty years of education, tenurship..

no. I was, at fifty some years old, very closely aligned to the cluelessness as the twenty something graduate assistants..

well.. this time around I more closely fit the mold..

the "core curriculum" usually is worth four credits per class.

Calculus I, II, III, makes up about 12 credits.

then there is Linear Algebra, Differential equations.

These are generally worth six credits in community college, but in the four year university, end up being accepted as four credits.

in way terms, pfal I II and III are worth about 12 credits.

If it makes any difference to anybody here.

I studied and mastered Calculus I, II and almost all of III on my own.

before I set my fanny down in any class..

I don't know how much good it really did me ..

I found Calculus I, II, III an easy 'A'..

but outside of my comfort zone, it was not always so much fun..

My dear, dear friend here..

she described the Wayside Central..

as.. a..

Meat market.

I'm sorry that I am so damned clueless. I thought it was just a place that a bunch of damned green colored students were going to, to get drunk out of their minds on St. Patricks day..

she looks at me.

No you friggin idjit. It's a place they are trying to find a pice of.. azz.

God bless you, friend..