GreaseSpot Cafe

Associate Theology Degree?

skyrider

the "core curriculum" usually is worth four credits per class.

Calculus I, II, III, makes up about 12 credits.

then there is Linear Algebra, Differential equations.

These are generally worth six credits in community college, but in the four year university, end up being accepted as four credits.

MathAtheist.jpeg

SoCrates

interestingly Kansas State University/ Emporia Campus now owns College of Emporia. Associate degrees are offered by 2 year community colleges, not 4 year institutions.

Are you sure? I thought the place was turned into a strip mall, and something honoring teachers in what we used to call the "Campus Center."

read it on Wikipedia. Anderson Library is now historic site, chapel now is a independent non-denominational church, Campus Center is now Teachers Hall. not sure about rest. Wierwille should have built his own University campus at HQ, closed off Wierwille Road and made it a gated community. Of course, nearby New Knoxville, New Bremen, and Minster, and other neighbors would have a say so at County/counties board(s) of commissioners. :smilie_kool_aid:

Wierwille should have built his own University campus at HQ, closed off Wierwille Road and made it a gated community. Of course, nearby New Knoxville, New Bremen, and Minster, and other neighbors would have a say so at County/counties board(s) of commissioners.

Oh, yeah......wierwille wanted to close off Wierwille Road.

That's why he fumed over his neighbor, Schrelickie (sp), who refused a number of times to sell his property to wierwille. If I remember correctly, he blatantly vowed before wierwille that he'd NEVER sell his property to twi as long as he lived. And, as long as the neighbor lived there, closing off wierwille road was a dead issue.

With regards to whether wierwille should have built its own University campus at HQ....brings to mind lots of questions?

1) Why did twi have such a hodge-podge approach to its corps campuses?

2) Why Camp Gunnison? Nice piece of property, but did twi invest wisely here, really?

3) LEAD at Tinnie, NM.......all for the purpose of hitchhiking and climbing rocks?

4) Maybe the Rome City Campus was best-suited for classes and dorm facilities?

5) What if twi would have made this Indiana campus its College Division Theology Center?

And......what if twi had been a legitimate Theology Seminary rather than an indoctrination factory. Guess we wouldn't be having this discussion would we? :biglaugh:

quote: I have a major in math, /

So where do we go from here.

I have twenty years experience in electronics and electronic repair..

a *real* four year degree in *almost* computational mathematics, and beyond.

four semesters experience, teaching intermediate algebra. / the "core curriculum" usually is worth four credits per class.

Calculus I, II, III, makes up about 12 credits.

then there is Linear Algebra, Differential equations.

Aha! You ARE a math freak! No, I didn't say 'meth' freak. On post #412 of the 'Victoid's ministry' thread, Ham, you said stuff about prime numbers. On post #420, I responded with....

quote: quote:

then in mathematical terms.. if I survive past teen years, I must be doing pretty good..

OK, I think I follow you. 53 is the 17th prime, then 59, 61, and that means 67 would be the 20th...past teen years. Remember, 68 was VPs age at death. I've wondered about the significance of prime numbers off and on myself. One time I figured out every prime number from 0 to 1,000. I was expecting that after the number 100 that the number of prime numbers would drop off...that there would be less likelihood of numbers being only divisible by 1 and themselves...the higher the numbers got, but NO! There are 170 prime numbers between 0 and 1,000. There are 23 between 0 and 100, but 5 of those are in the first 10. After 10 all prime numbers must end in 1,3,7,or9.

As an asst mgr for a fast food chain in the 80s one of my duties was to take a huge sales reading and reconcile the numbers with sales projections for that date and day of the week. To do this I stuck the key in the manager register and hit 601 enter. Then for the next 5-10 minutes this huge tape of sales readings and statistics for the previous day would spit out of the register. Moot now that it's the digital age, but 601 happens to be a prime number. I wondered if that was why or part of why they chose that number. Who knows?

You didn't respond. I am curious if you ever watched that recent cop show called 'Numbers' and if so, what you thought of it.

You didn't respond. I am curious if you ever watched that recent cop show called 'Numbers' and if so, what you thought of it.

Numbers is a great show. FYI the math on there is reality based. I'm familiar with a company that employs about 20 PhD Mathmaticians, and they do consulting work for the TV show - basically helping to integrate real math into the story lines, and reviewing for accuracy.

I wondered because I used to get increasingly annoyed when LCM would predictably use numbers in scripture to support his theories. It got to the point where you got the feeling that numbers in scripture was more proof of the rightly divided word than anything else. That got old fast. He did that a lot to give athletes of the spirit credibility.

So it seemed plausible that math based forensics could help solve some crimes, but perhaps not like it does on that show. Interesting.

I wondered because I used to get increasingly annoyed when LCM would predictably use numbers in scripture to support his theories.

Guess that ties to the supposition held by VPW that the word fir with mathematical precision?

That and he read Number in Scripture by Bullinger. :rolleyes:

Guess that ties to the supposition held by VPW that the word fir with mathematical precision?

That and he read Number in Scripture by Bullinger. :rolleyes:

IMO....wierwille only parroted the Bullinger work to give the impression that he (vpw) "worked the word from Genesis to Revelation." Sure, he read Bullinger's book and grafted some basic numbers into his pfal class.....but wierwille had bigger fish to fry.

Was wierwille trying to be a one-shop, one-stop bible study center? Of course......don't they all?

While twi gave little mention to Bullinger's How to Enjoy the Bible (i.e.-- twi might lose some following, some adulation).....the Numbers in Scripture work was superior to anything wierwille ever desired to "upgrade." :biglaugh:

E.W. Bullinger

Edited by skyrider

quote: Guess that ties to the supposition held by VPW that the word fit with mathematical precision?

I never read Bullinger's Numbers in scripture; I'm just familiar with 2 meaning either division or establishment, 4 meaning the world, 5 meaning grace, etc. That's like putting salt, pepper, hot sauce, or whatever on your food. Might make it taste better for you, but the food is what gives the nourishment, not the condiments...I HOPE!!!!

IMO math is the purest form of logic. If a=c and b=c, then a=b. In my 9th grade algebra class this was called the 'closure' property. If the bible really is God's word, then IMO it has to be logical. The trinity is not logical when compared with many scriptures. Neither is ADAN. That's what VP was setting us up for with that statement. That's not the same thing as numbers in scripture. Does Bullinger say anything about mathematical exactness and scientific precision in that book?

BTW Socrates, I can hear your footsteps already. I recall fairly recently you said (disputing) if apples equal fruit and oranges equal fruit, then apples equal oranges. Apples are A fruit, not ALL fruit, therefore apples don't EQUAL fruit, neither do oranges. In math, if 2+2=4 and 1+3=4, then 2+2=1+3. Vp said God breathed = moved by the holy ghost, which = revelation. Certainly open for debate, but not "glaring error".

BTW Socrates, I can hear your footsteps already. I recall fairly recently you said (disputing) if apples equal fruit and oranges equal fruit, then apples equal oranges. Apples are A fruit, not ALL fruit, therefore apples don't EQUAL fruit, neither do oranges. In math, if 2+2=4 and 1+3=4, then 2+2=1+3. Vp said God breathed = moved by the holy ghost, which = revelation. Certainly open for debate, but not "glaring error".

MathAtheist.jpeg

Good to see I'm keeping you on your toes. :) In that spirit:

First, Saint Vic contradicts himself. What happened to God has a purpose for everything he says, where he says it, and how he says it?

Remember, theif and malifactor? How about body, soul, spirit? Or how about thouroughly and throughly (I know, just trying to make a point). How about all those long passages according to context.

How many times were we told: soup is soup and apple butter is apple butter?

Then, suddenly, when it benefits his narrative, Saint Vic pulls a rabbit out of the hat and claims things equal to the same thing are equal to each other. In math, obviously, in language, not always so.

Did Saint Vic ever offer his premises supporting God breathed = moved by the holy ghost, which = revelation? I don't recall them. WQhat are his premises? Or is it like many things with him, we were to trust it was divine revelation?

Saint Vic's first rookie mistake was he was trying to apply mathematical logic to language (soup is soup, apple butter is apple butter, remember?). It doesn't work: Numbers and language are two seperate spheres of human consciousness. You can fudge with language, you can't fudge with numbers. Numbers are black and white, they're true or they're not. Language is just a tad trickier, there's a lot of greys.

That's why when you get to math and science you no longer use words, but equasions to communicate. Equasions are the specialized language of math and science.

That's also why there's a whole seperate branch of logic applied to language called Propositional calculus (definition)(definition, elements).

For somebody who insisted on being called Doctoryou do know he wasn't a doctor don't you? Here's one of many thing that prove it, it is a glaring error. But then when did Saint Vic ever let glaring errors get in the way of his narrative?

Check PLAF sometime, its riddled with glaring errors and contradictions for the sake of narrative.

However, who knows? Saint Vic may have fell down a rabbithole...

SoCrates

Edited by So_crates

I think VPs logic is fine.

No surprise here. I could have typed about anything and you would have disagreed.

Polarity Response is a behavior unfamiliar in name but not in most everyone’s experience. Whatever the issue or opinion, the polarity responder takes the opposite view. Disagreement is automatic. This can include and goes past the devil’s advocate role some people take on in groups. Most polarity responders seem unaware of their behavior and its impact on others. (source)

As a matter of fact, I expect you to disagree with this post.

SoCrates

Edited by So_crates

quote:

Polarity Response is a behavior unfamiliar in name but not in most everyone’s experience. Whatever the issue or opinion, the polarity responder takes the opposite view. Disagreement is automatic.

Sounds like you're accusing me of what you yourself do. So much for you keeping me on my toes.

Accusing me of automatic disagreement is like the democrats accusing anyone who disagrees with Obama of being racist. Doesn't work there and won't work here.

Edited by johniam

quote:

Accusing me of automatic disagreement is like the democrats accusing anyone who disagrees with Obama of being racist. Doesn't work there and won't work here.

John, I'm not sure if you realize it or not, but, it's "black or white", "all or nothing" statements like this that prompt defensive responses from other posters. Regardless of your political leanings or mine, not ALL democrats accuse ANYONE (read:EVERYONE) who disagrees with Obama of being a racist. Aside from the fact that your analogy is a strawman meant to draw attention away from the other poster's position, it's not even a valid position in and of itself. It's not valid because it assumes the "absolute".

Edited by waysider

an A.Th. is for 2 yr. institution and is not recognized by anyone seriously. You need at least a bachelor's degree and preferably Masters of Divinity or Theology to be hired as a pastor/priest and often a TH.D earned or offered by a legitamate, recognized university/seminary or D.Div. as honorary. You need at least 2 years of Koine Greek, at least 1 semester of Hebrew/Aramaic, 1 semester of World Religions, 1 semester of Philosophy, 1 year of Church History,1 semester of Ethics, 1 semester of Pastoral Counseling, 1 semester of Psycholgy. 1 year internship being mentored by a well seasoned member of the clergy. Depending on the denomination, interview with Bishop(Synod/Diocese)or President of state district, and being assigned by the Bishop/District Supertendent upon graduation and ordination. WCE and WCRC never were recognized by any accrediting firm.

So, are you saying that da way's associate in thelogy, is basically useless?

:biglaugh:

Well, that is the whole point I think here..

outside of a few offshoots, it really isn't worth the paper it is printed on. Except for evidence that one was "there"..

the sad thing is that some of you worked harder for that little piece of paper, far more than da victoid worked for his "doctorate"..

a degree mill worked for him, I guess that will suffice for you..

an A.Th. is for 2 yr. institution and is not recognized by anyone seriously. You need at least a bachelor's degree and preferably Masters of Divinity or Theology to be hired as a pastor/priest and often a TH.D earned or offered by a legitamate, recognized university/seminary or D.Div. as honorary. You need at least 2 years of Koine Greek, at least 1 semester of Hebrew/Aramaic, 1 semester of World Religions, 1 semester of Philosophy, 1 year of Church History,1 semester of Ethics, 1 semester of Pastoral Counseling, 1 semester of Psycholgy. 1 year internship being mentored by a well seasoned member of the clergy. Depending on the denomination, interview with Bishop(Synod/Diocese)or President of state district, and being assigned by the Bishop/District Supertendent upon graduation and ordination. WCE and WCRC never were recognized by any accrediting firm.

forgot to mention 1 semster of Old Testament History, 1 semester of New Testament History, 1 semester study on denominations, semster on Religion in America, Liturgy, Hymnody, Chanting(if Catholic, Orthodox, Lutheran, Episcopalian/Anglican). Yes, TWI's Assoc. TH. is worthless.

Edited by Thomas Loy Bumgarner

Yes, TWI's Assoc. TH. is worthless.

I wouldn't say its worthless. You could probably use the back of the sheepskin for a scratchpad. Or maybe use the whole sheepskin to line the bottom of a birdcage.

SoCrates

Edited by So_crates