GreaseSpot Cafe

Financial Ignorance

OldSkool

I have found out something interesting about myself and I wonder the correlation the the way international. I was in my very early twenties when I got involved with TWI. The no debt policy came along right after I got involved. Accordingly, I never made any significant financial moves. Never bought a new car, had a mortgage, any credit card debt, no investments, etc.

I can say that after four years away from TWI, I have made just about every dumb financial move I could make. I attribute most of these mistakes, while pushing 40, simple inexperience. I also attribute them a by-product of TWI's financial prohibition, if you will. I don't blame them, my moves are mine to live with.

And to keep balanced. I have made some good moves as well, and in the long run the dumb ones will pale in comparison to the experience gained.

Anyone else dealt with this?

I'm sure TWI would be blessed to return all of your abundant sharing money if you would ask them. They would likely thank you for the opportunity to give. It is, after all, more blessed to give than to receive.

/sarcasm off /

• Upvote 1

Anyone else dealt with this?

Well, I think the buying a home one is the biggest one I see TWI induced trauma over.

You think about it - most people will do that when they get their career or trade started in their 20's, or when they get married and settle down. So as you are kind of getting at, the experience from that time to now puts people behind when they leave TWI.

Buying a home is hard enough. There are so many variables. Place, cost, location, age, etc. And with the economy recently, people have bought homes and then found the value 50% underwater after only a few years in areas. And many of those things are impossible to foresee.

Add onto that people having fear from years of teaching how having a mortgage is wrong, evil, opens your life up to the adversary, etc. and you have a person that should be going into a financial transaction with a sound logical mindset now approaching it with more of a superstitious mindset waiting for the other shoe to drop. All that spells problem.

I think the more people react extremely and just reject 100% of TWI's teachings, the easier it will be for them to make sound logical decisions. Of course none of us are there, but at least that attitude will help root out all the BS implanted in our brains over years.

• Upvote 1

I'm right there with you, OS. Still haven't bought a home. By the time we got out completely the recession was starting. Maybe in the next five years if my business keeps heading in the right direction.

I'm right there with you, OS. Still haven't bought a home.

Owning a home is extremely over rated, unless you are willing to plant deep roots and stay the duration - IMO. I own two at present, one a foreclosure I got on the cheap (pics on my FB page are of that house) and the other mortgaged relatively cheap, but a decent place that should appreciate with the right amount of sweat equity. Personally, I wish I owned neither. There is freedom in renting that should be enjoyed until you know where you really want to be for the next 20 years or so. Then the benefits of ownership (that significantly outweigh renting) can be fully enjoyed. TWI is full of it when they speak against having a mortgage. My mortgage is roughly 1/3 of going rents in my neighborhood.

Circumstances in my life, as you well know, were such that dictated I stay in Ohio. Now that those circumstance have changed, and I have freedom apart from TWI's yoke, I am not sure how much longer I want to be in Ohio. Thus my dilemma. So now what do I do. Hire a property management company and be an out of state landlord? Sell both properties? Stay put? mmmm....ya. There is time to figure it out though.

My mortgage is paid off, so, technically, I'm not in debt for my house. Still, I have to put money aside every month for property taxes and insurance, not to mention upkeep and improvements. So, simply owning a house does not mean you are debt free. In fact, at this stage of my life, I might be better off selling my house, investing some of the proceeds and using the rest to pay rent to someone else who will take care of the usual headaches that come with ownership.

My mortgage is paid off, so, technically, I'm not in debt for my house. Still, I have to put money aside every month for property taxes and insurance, not to mention upkeep and improvements. So, simply owning a house does not mean you are debt free. In fact, at this stage of my life, I might be better off selling my house, investing some of the proceeds and using the rest to pay rent to someone else who will take care of the usual headaches that come with ownership.

Bingo! I have a mortgage on one and the other is free and clear, so to speak. For both homes I would be willing to pay rent and not deal with upkeep, taxes, insurance, etc. My wife feels differently, but she isn't the one who has to deal with issues.

My mortgage is roughly 1/3 of going rents in my neighborhood.

The deeper we get into the "recovery" economy with a lot of bankrupcies, the more this is going to be the case in many places.

This is a classic example of TWI's financial ignorance. They keep their people paying high rents, with leases with options to move every August so they can shuffle people around and control them better. Next, they are giving 15% of their net income away on top of this. And their time is consumed with endless meaningless meetings and the planning for them.

The middle class is always in danger in America, but in TWI there really is no middle class. Not if they are complying with all the controlling rules.

Not if they are complying with all the controlling rules.

Yep, their rules will keep a person poor. But hey, you can always qualify for Medicaid.

Edited by OldSkool

ha.. not in this state. you can be even unemployed.. for a long long time..

unless you are a staffer at less than minimum wage, and have dependent children. Then the government seems to be a *tad* less stingy.

I wonder where they find their "abundant" and "prevailing" lifestyle in Michigan..

In a lot of "other" words.. if one is aged, unemployed and injured.. the state is not too interested in helping the said individual.

No, that was not me..

interesting.. the hospital "gives up".. i.e. knows the person can never pay..

but the doc who does the work.. no. The fees are on the books.. in the unlikely event the person will ever gain employment..

it's just what I personally observe..

then if the person gets employed..

garnishment of wages.. surely follows.

Interesting, no?

I mean..

aren't things kinda *sick*..

when doctors depend on their salary or payment being guarantee by debt collectors..

I mean.. they can generally be relied upon for about a 17 percent return..

outsourced, of course.

The deeper we get into the "recovery" economy with a lot of bankrupcies, the more this is going to be the case in many places.

This is a classic example of TWI's financial ignorance. They keep their people paying high rents, with leases with options to move every August so they can shuffle people around and control them better. Next, they are giving 15% of their net income away on top of this. And their time is consumed with endless meaningless meetings and the planning for them.

The middle class is always in danger in America, but in TWI there really is no middle class. Not if they are complying with all the controlling rules.

As the local, state, and federal bureaucracies grow.....more and more money, and wealth distribution, is needed

to support government salaries, benefits and programs for the people. The middle class is squeezed to comply

with all the taxes and controlling mechanisms in these "hidden" behemoths.

Same with twi bureaucracy. Ever notice how all the "topdogs" were jumping onto twi's payroll? Why was wierwille's

system uploaded to "climb the corporate ladder" so as NOT to be shuffled around every other year? Where staffers were

NOT subjected to go witnessing or run classes? Where they did NOT give 15% of their income?

"....in TWI there really is no middle class." Twi has no "middle" ANYTHING. <_<

"....in TWI there really is no middle class." Twi has no "middle" ANYTHING. <_<

Ohh..... I don't know about that.

RosyLie has been known to be Dictatorially crass.

And she has been known to be Genteelly crass

On rare occasions as she has transmogrified from the one to the other, she has had a moment of middle crass.

:rolleyes:

• 5 years later...