GreaseSpot Cafe

Twas the Night Before Christmas...

OldSkool

Twas the night before Christmas and all through the house, OldSkool decided to order "The Cult that Snapped."

....just devoured five chapters of the book that so many of you have recommended. Sure to start threads soon, or revive old ones. Peace!

I agree! I read it in the 90s when it first came out. My brother borrowed it & did not return it. I contacted Karl Kahler about obtaining the book and he said he didn't have any more but I was able to get it via email to download in PDF format. It is such a great book.

When I re-read it, I had forgotten a lot of it and it was like reading it for the first time.

Edited by outandabout

I still think that "The Subtle Abuse of Spiritual Power" is a scary book - like they had taken the lid of TWI and were analyzing the contents. But actually it never refers to TWI at all and refers only to spiritual abuse in other organizations. Regrettably we find ourselves in a rather large company of abusees.

Enjoy Kahler's book, OS.

When I re-read it, I had forgotten a lot of it and it was like reading it for the first time.

I devoured it in four days. I have the .pdf copy and sent it on to my wife. I am going to go back and reread it now.

Enjoy Kahler's book, OS.

Thanks!!

Thanks. I'm reading Losing The Way right now.

That was certainly an eye opener. Kahler interviewed a lot of key players from the very early days of TWI. His work will fill in a lot of missing history that the way would rather not tell us. It really blew my mind. It exposes VP at another level.

Edited by OldSkool

Losing the Way. Read in less than 24 hours. Wow. What an eye opener to so many things. Things about how I used to be. The numbness. Deciding not to feel. Trying to think the best about other believers when they acted like a$$Ï€oles. Making excuses for weird teachings (like the myth of the Holocaust.). The loneliness...

Wow. I need to process.

Wow.

So thankful for these people who write what's right. Also for Greasespot Cafe having an open place for people to write and read true experiences, true confessions. God is so kind to have these places in place. Thanks, again Pawtucket, Karl, Kristen Skedgell, Catcup, ExCathedra, and so many others: Many thanks for helping God save me.

Karl's book goes more into Wierwille's life and gives the real names of important players and not nom de plumes that Kristen's gives( Wierwille's wife and children, Martindale, Geer,etc.).

Karl's book goes more into Wierwille's life and gives the real names of important players and not nom de plumes that Kristen's gives( Wierwille's wife and children, Martindale, Geer,etc.).

He changes names of some folks, but not the names of those at the top, and those he interviewed - unless they specifically asked him.

And, ditto. He lays Wierwille bare on an unprecedented level, and based on interviews of those who were key players at the time of Wierwille's rise.

Kristen changes Dorothea's namne to Martha, and merges Geer and martindale as a composite character

Kristen changes Dorothea's namne to Martha, and merges Geer and martindale as a composite character

Certainly something I would never have done. I am all for allowing people who didn't know better their privacy, but major players who did know deserve to be outed. My 2 cents anyway.

Both books certainly give a more accurate behind-the-scenes look at TWI and the real story than Elena Whiteside's "The Way Living in Love". That book was more like the starry-eyed cult-think made-for-tv version of TWI with no look behind the scenes other than a conversation with Wierwille where he further embellished the snow story and the "revelation" confirming him as like the next apostle or something.

The Way Living in Love....what a joke....If you look for it in a bookstore, you'll find it in the Fairy Tale section

There is a thread here that examines the "book" in great detail...very revealing.

I've never read it and would like to find a cheap copy. The cheapest I can find ATM is around 30.00. Can you say ripoff?