GreaseSpot Cafe

Twi's Adult Sandbox

skyrider

If there was ever a reason to regret "playing in twi's sandbox".....

.....THIS is it. 20 Reasons your 20s are so critical

Here are the first two reasons:

1. Much of your wage growth happens in the first few years of your career.

2. Many of your most significant life events will take place in your 20s.

Sure....this article is from a college-educated point of view, not from someone searching to get off drugs, or find spiritual meaning in life. I get that. And, for some, myself included.....the Lord has restored much of what *the locust had eaten*.....but it does make me wonder.

Note: Opportunity loss is loss, indeed.

3. You’re very likely to meet your future spouse or partner in your 20s.

4. Your 20s are when you learn to have healthy relationships.

5. It’s the time to plan for future children (if you want them).

6. Your 20-something brain is still developing.

7. Criticism hurts more, but it can help you develop good habits.

8. Your personality is still developing.

9. The 20s aren’t a time to just think about what you want to do, they’re the time to act on it.

10. It’s critical to maintain good mental health in your 20s.

11. It’s the time to get really good at what you do.

12. Learning is easier in your 20s than it will be in your 30s and beyond.

13. It’s the time to set the stage for good lifelong habits.

14. Your 20s are the ideal time to start saving for retirement.

15. There isn’t as much time as you think there is.

16. In your 20s, nearly every avenue is open, and you have nothing to lose.

17. You’ll build up networks personally and professionally.

18. You can redefine your family.

19. Financial decisions in your 20s will impact your finances for life.

20. Your 20s are when you learn to be an adult.

Is there any wonder why twi's "sandbox" has impacted so many detrimentally?

"Dr. Jay also states in her book that 80% of life’s most significant events take place by age 35."

Hmmmm......well, I suppose there is some truth to that, but 80% ?

Of course, one's involvement in twi wouldn't necessarily count the childhood years [unless you grew up in twi] .....but geez, all those formidable years after high school and/ in college and diving into cult classes? Oh, my. And then.....staying for 12 years? 24 years?

And.....the brain was STILL developing. :blink:/>

Edited by skyrider

Intellectual growth never stops. Might slow down a bit. Doesn't stop.

Those who are curious/interested can still be curious/interested no matter what their ages are.

Those who can't be bothered ... will lapse out no matter what their ages are.

There are plenty of new careers started by people in their 50s and 60s. One of my friends even did her degree in her 70s...she's 84 now and doesn't regret it at all. Even got herself a little business out of it.

I'd agree with you that the cost (which might not be recouped quickly) is a big deterrent from starting a new career/ new degree / putting it all on the line now. That extract makes it sound like life's nearly over... if you look hard enough, or maybe not even that hard at all, you'll find people who think life begins at 40, 50, 60, whenever you've got rid of the kids... Every day you can be open to new life experiences.

In short, article is rubbish.

Hmm. Try attempting grad school when you are in your fifties.. and maybe even a second graduate degree.. from experience: the younger crowd can't figure out why you are there.

I'm 64, working on a master's in theological studies, and I'm having a blast! I've got plenty of stories to tell the kids, including how I lost my navel in a freak sneezing accident, and they love it too!

Love,

Steve

I don't agree that the article is rubbish. It's discussing 80% of the population. We, who investigate other things, and start other businesses don't belong in that 80%. We can't apply that to those of us here. If we're around and taking a regular part in these discussions, we're not that 80%. Think about it and give yourself credit. We may have a dozen such individuals still growing and investigating in the later periods of their lives. Those who aren't using their brains much aren't thinking much about anything, least of all the remains of a crazy cult in Ohio!

Twinky just look at the average Joe's who sit on their cans and watch soccer and football each weekend. Steve is thriving on his Masters studies and Ham took on and passed through difficult math courses to get a degree in his 50's and I remember some of the things he shared with us as he did that. We are not wooses! Check your neighboars.....look at the average guy or gal in the supermarket and you';ll not find stellar brain power the way you find it here. We are a unique collection - - not you average guys.

I think we all are champions.

Is there any wonder why twi's "sandbox" has impacted so many detrimentally?

My wife was raised in a rather strict protestant religion. Her parents had a plan for her whole life, which included not moving out of the house until she got married. She had other ideas. Moved out at 18, left the religion 6 months later, got into twi 1 year later, left out of her mother's will. Her older brother never got married and never moved out of the house, other than a brief military stint, and has been living in a half way house since his mother's death in 2000. Her younger sister did not leave the house until marriage. They are nice people; we stay in touch with them. So, what does this have to do with twi's "sandbox"?

College education, just like "Jesus", has a PLAN for YOUR LIFE!!! To many people, getting a college education is this 'holy grail', without which, life has no meaning, home has no harmony, and there's no way to separate truth from error. Sound familiar? Not everybody lives in that vacuum. Might be an esthetically pleasing vacuum, but IMO there are just as many 'locusts' there.

Those 20 things are from the pov of someone who has drunk THAT particular koolaid. Let's look at a few of them.

1) Much of your wage growth happens in the first few years of your career. - Before twi the most I made was 6K. I didn't make 10K plus until age 32.

2) Many of your most significant life events will take place in your 20s. - Got married in my 30s, kids after that. Define "significant life event".

3) You’re very likely to meet your future spouse or partner in your 20s. - See #2.

13) It’s the time to set the stage for good lifelong habits. - I think that studying the word, praying, witnessing, fellowshipping with likeminded believers, and ABSing are good lifelong habits!

15) There isn’t as much time as you think there is. - In twi we had word over the world and the urgency of the times. Whatever and wherever a college educated life leads you produces the same urgency.

20) Your 20s are when you learn to be an adult. - Agreed. I learned more about being an adult in twi than anywhere else. Well, other that being raised by my mom. But even parents can only do so much. Eventually you have to take the baton from them and run on your own. Twi was the best thing that ever happened to me. I had to take the baton from it and run my own course, but for its time, twi was my most "significant life event". No regrets.

"College education, just like "Jesus", has a PLAN for YOUR LIFE!!! To many people, getting a college education is this 'holy grail', without which, life has no meaning, home has no harmony, and there's no way to separate truth from error. Sound familiar? Not everybody lives in that vacuum. Might be an esthetically pleasing vacuum, but IMO there are just as many 'locusts' there."

College is, indeed, where many learn skills that will benefit them in their chosen vocation. If one stops at that, though, one will ultimately experience disappointment because many of the skills being learned today will be obsolete in the near future. That is why it's important to understand that college is a time and place where one learns the skills that are necessary for an ongoing learning experience. In essence, college is where you "learn how to learn". Everyone is different, of course, but, for most, that lesson is better learned at an early age rather than a later age. Too often, for whatever reason, people reject the concept of "learning to learn" and plod ahead with whatever feels comfortable. They continue to play in the sandbox, completely ignoring the sliding board and swing set and depriving themselves of heightened experiences. It's their choice.

Edited by waysider

Depends on priorities.

If learning is a goal in itself, one will ENJOY learning all their life.

If learning is a means to survive, one will make time to learn most or all of their life.

If learning was just a means to get the degree to secure a career,

then that's as far as the learning will go.

Depends on priorities.

If learning is a goal in itself, one will ENJOY learning all their life.

If learning is a means to survive, one will make time to learn most or all of their life.

If learning was just a means to get the degree to secure a career,

then that's as far as the learning will go.

A lifetime of learning is what I had in mind.

"That’s no reason to stress if you’re feeling a bit off track, but here we highlight some of the reasons why you shouldn’t just drift through your 20s aimlessly; they’re actually a pretty critical part of who you are and who you’ll become."

As I noted, this article is, indeed, PROMOTING their product from statistical averages......sociological, scientific, economic, and psychological studies. Is college for everyone? Nope. The article was not written to contest that. Are there exceptions to the rule? Sure. Many could point to Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, entrepreneurs, start-ups, drop-outs, inventors, computer geeks, shark tank-types, those in their 60s, etc. etc.

That's NOT the point of the article [read the bold-face quote above].

Doesn't every facet of life.....business, college, church or movement.....set forth the BENEFITS of their product? You know, like twi's green card. Well, in this article.....these are the 20 benefits that a **college-educated** life will enhance one's living. And, really.....why wait? why drift and wait till you're 35-something? The sooner you get this education......the more likely one's life's trajectory is exponentially enhanced.

How could this article be considered rubbish?

And notice, at present......no one has posted on this thread to give us *the perspective of this article, being college-educated in their 20s.* What happens then? If someone exemplified this path [from the article] and went on to get their masters or doctorate.....and retired quite wealthy.......shouldn't he/she be commended? And, say....this same person was actively involved in parenting, church, community, board member on projects.....their education, skills, status, wealth could open doors for others who need opportunity. I could cite examples of my own siblings in this category....maybe, you could too.

But on the other hand, in such achievement.......will some show contempt for say, a retired businessman who followed this model, in their spiritual choices and not following Jesus? Is that a contempt from twi-days? Really? One can't do BOTH.....be college-educated AND be a Christian? Who planted this contempt for higher education [starting in our 20s]? I am not one of those. Both of our children's births were dynamically impacted by Christian doctors who intricately made professional decisions that impacted our lives.

Sure, I applaud those who have gone on to get their degrees later in life......but it remains, apparent to me, that this article has many sound points. Does that threaten who I am or the choices I made? Not at all. Most likely, those who DID as this article recommends did not get entangled in twi and thus HAVE LITTLE REASON to frequent this GS website.

Edited by skyrider

The article lists 20 REASONS why your 20s are so important.

Hence....more than just an economic, college-educated perspective.

3. You’re very likely to meet your future spouse or partner in your 20s.

4. Your 20s are when you learn to have healthy relationships.

5. It’s the time to plan for future children (if you want them).

6. Your 20-something brain is still developing.

7. Criticism hurts more, but it can help you develop good habits.

8. Your personality is still developing. [in your 20s]

9. The 20s aren’t a time to just think about what you want to do, they’re the time to act on it.

10. It’s critical to maintain good mental health in your 20s.

11. It’s the time [in your 20s]to get really good at what you do.

12. Learning is easier in your 20s than it will be in your 30s and beyond.

13. It’s the time [in your 20s] to set the stage for good lifelong habits.

14. Your 20s are the ideal time to start saving for retirement.

15. There isn’t as much time as you think there is.

16. In your 20s, nearly every avenue is open, and you have nothing to lose.

17. You’ll build up networks personally and professionally. [in your 20s]

18. You can redefine your family. [in your 20s]

19. Financial decisions in your 20s will impact your finances for life.

20. Your 20s are when you learn to be an adult.

OR.....get involved in a deceptive cult and flitter away a decade or two. :evildenk:

i can't be bothered to look too much back. i have enough going on that takes my time and makes me sad

i'm 58

steve, what about your naval and sneezing? are you serious? your real belly button?

anyway, i'm sure younger people should play or not play in the sandbox

love,e

I have always had a weak abdomen. The fascia which hold the muscle fibers bundled together have always been genetically weak. When I was in my late 20s I developed a ventral hernia just above my navel. When I was on the WOW field in 1982, it strangulated, and a doc stitched it up. It sprang out again in the late '80s. I think it was from the high impact of running in the Corps. Another doc repaired it again, and this time he put a small patch of plastic mesh in, just above my navel. In the 2000s, it sprung out again, this time from the spasms of coughing and sneezing. This time, the second doc's son repaired the hernia by putting in a sheet of plastic mesh across my whole abdomen. I have abs of plastic! He had to take out a lot of skin that was too stretched to ever draw back up tight again, the part that had the first patch in it, so he took out my navel too. I asked him if I could keep it in a jar of formaldehyde to show my seventh grade students, but he wouldn't let me have it, and there wasn't anything I could do because I was unconscious at the time.

I asked the doc if I could honestly say that I lost my navel in a freak sneezing accident, because it had spring out from sneezing spasms, and he felt so guilty that I couldn't keep my navel, he told me I could say that!

Love,

Steve

What's this about your navel, Steve? Are you planning to change your name to Adam? Did Adam have a navel? ... And other deep questions of that type...

Plastic abs, I like that, I could do with some plastic to hold my flab in. Not that there's much, but things are going south a little bit.