GreaseSpot Cafe

Bill Cosby and VP

Clou

Everything I've been reading about Bill Cosby and his womanizing really reminds me of VP. Wasn't the dr accused of drugging and molesting young women? And it seems like it was around the same time-- 1970's? I'm surprised no one else has brought this up.

Everything I've been reading about Bill Cosby and his womanizing really reminds me of VP. Wasn't the dr accused of drugging and molesting young women? And it seems like it was around the same time-- 1970's? I'm surprised no one else has brought this up.

The parallels are remarkably similar, although, Cosby's doctorate is real (University of Massachusetts Amherst).. VP's was of the degree mill variety.... You did know VP wasn't really a "DR.", didn't you?

LOL yes, I knew he was not a real dr. It's strange that both of these men were able to convince thousands of people that they were a father figure and then use their power to take advantage of young women. AND they got away with it for so long. So many people refuse to believe it. I was so shocked to learn the truth about both of them. I was a Way kid who grew up watching Cosby-- nothing will surprise me after this...

LOL yes, I knew he was not a real dr. It's strange that both of these men were able to convince thousands of people that they were a father figure and then use their power to take advantage of young women. AND they got away with it for so long. So many people refuse to believe it. I was so shocked to learn the truth about both of them. I was a Way kid who grew up watching Cosby-- nothing will surprise me after this...

I assure you, other former wayfers have been thinking about this parallel between the two of them even though none has yet posted to gsc about it.

Intriguing. My thought is that there should be some legit academic studies done from a social science angle on the phenomenon, especially if there hasn't been any done yet.

• 4 weeks later...

The women's stories have remarkable consistency to them. Against Cosby. And like the women's stories against VPW.

Unlike VPW, Cosby is still alive and can answer the allegations in an appropriate place. Trial by media is not that place.

Like VPW and later MoGs, Cosby has engaged expensive lawyers to threaten and continue to bully the women.

Cosby's women need a Waydale! Any volunteers?

I assure you, other former wayfers have been thinking about this parallel between the two of them even though none has yet posted to gsc about it.

Intriguing. My thought is that there should be some legit academic studies done from a social science angle on the phenomenon, especially if there hasn't been any done yet.

How about "Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."? I don't know if a study supported this but it's been an acute observation. Kind of sobering when you think about it. I would like to think that if I had a lot of power over people, their careers, etc. that I would be kind and fair and supportive. But history is full of people that once they get the power they use it for selfish gain. What makes me think I would be any different? Then again, someone who's honest caring and supportive of others doesn't make good news copy. Maybe we just never hear about them.

Or, possibly, to defend him against false accusations. Even if some of the allegations are true, it doesn't mean they all are. As you point out, it's for the courts to decide.

George

Too many, too similar, with little to gain but some personal closure. The courts are notorious for deciding in favor of the perpetrator.

How about "Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."? I don't know if a study supported this but it's been an acute observation. Kind of sobering when you think about it. I would like to think that if I had a lot of power over people, their careers, etc. that I would be kind and fair and supportive. But history is full of people that once they get the power they use it for selfish gain. What makes me think I would be any different? Then again, someone who's honest caring and supportive of others doesn't make good news copy. Maybe we just never hear about them.

There's no doubt power/authority over others is a hallmark. How that power is a function of self and group dynamics is something that can be studied and insights developed.

I don't think corruption is guaranteed after power. Look at Bill Gates and Warren Buffet.

They've given away ENORMOUS piles of money after acquiring enormous piles of money.

By Lord Acton's thinking (the guy who made the comment about power corrupting),

they should have been GUARANTEED to be greedy and grasping.

I do think that power/OPPORTUNITY will AMPLIFY WHAT'S THERE. A generous person will

remain generous, a trustworthy one will remain trustworthy. Those who don't commit

crimes primarily because they'd get caught, however, would probably become criminals,

and the greedy will remain greedy.

• Upvote 1

I don't think corruption is guaranteed after power. Look at Bill Gates and Warren Buffet.

They've given away ENORMOUS piles of money after acquiring enormous piles of money.

I do think that power/OPPORTUNITY will AMPLIFY WHAT'S THERE. A generous person will

remain generous, a trustworthy one will remain trustworthy. Those who don't commit

crimes primarily because they'd get caught, however, would probably become criminals,

Yes, strength of character is important. And is not a function of one's personal relationship with Jesus (or the bible).

Yes, strength of character is important. And is not a function of one's personal relationship with Jesus (or the bible).

Not that anyone said it did.

Strength of character is dependent upon what that character was based on.

It's integrity with a moral dimension- and whether that actually means

anything depends on how integrated one's morality was until that point,

and how solid it was until that point. A system that's integrated and

weak can be discarded in its entirety when sufficient excuse is offered-

a large enough bribe, for example- and a system that's not integrated

isn't consistent enough to provide guidance about what to do or what to

not do-so there's nothing to base decisions on but a whim, and nothing

to prevent a demagogue or advertiser to get one to buy into whatever

they were selling just because it's cleverly phrased or repeated enough.

Basing one's character on the Bible, or on one's relationship with Jesus,

is one option (two options), and both can be used for comprehensive,

integral, consistent systems. That can't necessarily be said for

everything, and constructing a personal system from the ground up is

certainly a lot more work than a lot of people are willing to do.

So, they don't have a coherent code of conduct, and will go along with

the crowd easily enough. That's good news to the advertisers and the

demagogues of all stripes- they need cattle to direct and exploit.

You're right. I suppose there are no hard and fast rules.