GreaseSpot Cafe

Hey we got a new bored member

OldSkool

2 hours ago, OldSkool said:

I feel the same way. I will never go back to TWI for a multitude of reasons, but at the same time, there are a lot of good people trapped (by their own choosing) in that group and anything that makes life better for people is a welcome change.

Exactly, OldSkool !!!! …Sometimes the words get in the way of what I’m trying to say.    :biglaugh:

I too feel for the good people still involved with TWI…I always hope conditions improve for their situations. 

Makes me think of conversations my wife and I have had about different companies we had worked for – some of them were as treacherous as a snake pit. We're both retired now - but we still keep in touch with some former co-workers. We’re always curious about the latest drama and office politics. I know this is comparing apples to oranges – comparing a harmful and controlling cult to a secular job – but some manipulative and toxic environments bear similarities…when our friends are looking for someone to lend an ear, we don’t say “why don’t you just quit and find a better job” – cuz that would be the harda$$-dispassionate-way-corps-response. Most of the time they’re just wanting to vent and find solace in a sympathetic ear…you can also look at it from the perspective that’s all they know what to do for right now (whether it's that particular job   -  or   -   life in TWI)…of course, we also rejoice with them when they tell us about some a$$hole manager getting the boot or they talk about some new manager who is more competent and actually has some people skills. 

:offtopic:           Maybe a little off-topic here – but I read about Laura Prepon, actress known for “That 70s Show” and “Orange is the New Black” – in a few recent interviews, it came out she left Scientology about 5 years ago – I thought it was interesting how she explained her leaving the group – she credits motherhood for the change in her viewpoint:
“…However, it does seem like being a mother may have had something to do with her growth and saying her farewells to the church of Scientology. When she spoke of her family, which includes husband Ben Foster and a four-year-old daughter and sixteen-month-old son, she reflected on how much motherhood has changed her life and outlook. 

She said: “As a brand new mother, I was reflecting so much on my own upbringing and the way I was mothered. I was forced to look at a lot of things in my life that I wasn’t looking at before. If motherhood has taught me anything so far, it’s that something can work out for a period of time and then you move on and evolve from that”.

My point with this digression is  – that in the bigger picture of people involved in a harmful and controlling cult – not only can we (by we I mean those of us who have left and feel for those still in) be hopeful about any positive and constructive changes to the inner workings of a cult – but among other things we can be hopeful there is something indominable about the human mind – how it is resilient…capable of critical analysis…solving complex problems…and most of all, I believe the mind has an innate desire to be free and to thrive....also...realistically...and sad to say it’s possible some good folks get seduced to the dark side…and they don’t want out.

From a personal perspective, what I think it all comes down to is that when a cult member has grown tired of the cultic-entanglement – and they sense some synchronicity (like coming to Grease Spot and something hits them right between the eyes) …when the moon is in the 7th house and Jupiter aligns with Mars  :rolleyes:   …when for a brief moment they see past the smoke and mirrors…or maybe they have a profound life-changing experience (like Laura Prepon becoming a mother)…and presto change-o  they start thinking about an exit strategy. 

Edited by T-Bone
typos and formatting

1 hour ago, T-Bone said:

you can also look at it from the perspective that’s all they know what to do for right now (whether it's that particular job   -  or   -   life in TWI

This sure describes my former way corps self, and it really is a good description of a lot of folks still in TWI. Excellent post! My experience is that most people that hang onto to TWI are more willing to leave if something better were there - my summation of many voices I've heard expressing disdain for TWI's current and recent state of affairs. Of course there is so much better out there when the blinders are off. My purpose in posting here from the beginning has been to expose the top leadership and their really treacherous practices. As an organization TWI is rotten from the roots and that will never change. My prayer is that more people wake up and walk where the Lord leads them. 

2 hours ago, T-Bone said:

From a personal perspective, what I think it all comes down to is that when a cult member has grown tired of the cultic-entanglement – and they sense some synchronicity (like coming to Grease Spot and something hits them right between the eyes)

Humans are social animals. It's MUCH easier for people to leave if their friends are leaving too... and/or if they have alternative social support systems in place.

3 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

So, who are on the Board, currently?

George

Rev. Vern Edwards
Rev. Bill Greene
Dr. Angela Priester
Rev. John Rupp

https://www.theway.org/

It's way down at the bottom of the page. I agree with you GerogeStGeorge, I always thought very highly of both Angela and Perry. 

On 8/27/2021 at 8:07 AM, penworks said:

Lonnell was in the 2nd (Second) Corps with me. Facts matter.

Cheers!

Thanks penworks.  I thought Lonnell (or Brenda) were in the 5th corps, because my wife and I spent time with them.  As you know, my wife was 5th corps.  But  that relationship was strengthened by working on staff together..... not 5th corps related.  My mistake.  Thanks for the clarification.  

Both Lonnell and Brenda have been very successful post-twi.  Writing books.  Teachings.  Christian conferences and outings.  They have soared to great heights after leaving twi..... some 40 years ago.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Goeytex said:

"Biblical Research" needs clarification as to whether the reference is to research (investigating to seek new conclusions), or re-search (review VPW's works - because all the "work" is done).  

At least the pronouns are clarified.  

10 hours ago, Bolshevik said:

"Biblical Research" needs clarification as to whether the reference is to research (investigating to seek new conclusions), or re-search (review VPW's works - because all the "work" is done).  

At least the pronouns are clarified.  

Yeah, well her credentials are great up until they start the biblical research stuff.....but they did say that she has enjoyed biblical research for 40 years as opposed to serving on the board of a church that does biblical research...she very well may have done biblical research on her own for 40 years. That same 40 years likely coincides with the 40 or so odd years that the way international stopped doing biblical research...yada..yada.

Edited by OldSkool

• 2 weeks later...

Knew all of them back in the day.  Angela is balanced, intelligent, and nice.  Vern is nice.  But that didn’t stop him from mark and avoiding all the r and r group.  

Niceness doesn’t matter when they have sold their soul in service to a cult.  Anyone who crosses them will meet the same type of action.  Not because of lack of niceness.  But because they are misguided with respect to the household of God and their positions in the body of Christ.

Ask Vern about the new advanced class book called Just the Way it Was.  Or Angela.  Whitewashing away adultery and murder really.

Edited by chockfull
  • Upvote 1

On 9/26/2021 at 12:54 AM, chockfull said:

They were fake friends.  They are fake ministers.

Actually I knew them but they were never friends.  Even by way standards…

I will bet one thing though.  These new bored members are gonna “salt” themselves to their new positions of authority in the Way.  No doubts there.  It will become the defining thing of their lives.

Edited by chockfull

• 1 month later...