GreaseSpot Cafe

Hey we got a new bored member

OldSkool

"This month the Board of Directors of The Way International welcomed a new member: Dr. Angela Priester. Angela is a graduate of the Eighteenth Way Corps. She and her husband, Perry, coordinate a Branch and household fellowship in Jacksonville, Florida. Angela holds a PhD in clinical psychology and has a proven, successful record of moving God’s Word. Angela will bring many wonderful qualities to the household of The Way in her new responsibility. We are thankful for her heart to serve in this capacity."

A woman of color with a PhD in clinical psychology - - hooray !!!!!!  congrats Dr. Angela Priester !!!!!

1 hour ago, T-Bone said:

"This month the Board of Directors of The Way International welcomed a new member: Dr. Angela Priester. Angela is a graduate of the Eighteenth Way Corps. She and her husband, Perry, coordinate a Branch and household fellowship in Jacksonville, Florida. Angela holds a PhD in clinical psychology and has a proven, successful record of moving God’s Word. Angela will bring many wonderful qualities to the household of The Way in her new responsibility. We are thankful for her heart to serve in this capacity."

A woman of color with a PhD in clinical psychology - - hooray !!!!!!  congrats Dr. Angela Priester !!!!!

She used to run the advanced class department many moons ago. She was a really sweet person. Her husband worked in Safety, he was a good guy as well. I wish her all the best. I doubt it will work out for her but hey, who knows. 

2 hours ago, Bolshevik said:

No reference to what university or published works?

Indeed, one would expect such a declaration on an organization's website to include "Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology..." from xyz university and a citation of her published research.

44 minutes ago, Rocky said:

Indeed, one would expect such a declaration on an organization's website to include "Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology..." from xyz university and a citation of her published research.

Vaknin has a PhD in some physics fringe science distance learning school.  But he is associated with psychology.  He even seems to be cited in Psych Today.

4 hours ago, Bolshevik said:

Vaknin has a PhD in some physics fringe science distance learning school.  But he is associated with psychology.  He even seems to be cited in Psych Today.

It seems only because he has/had a keen sense of self-awareness... not for his academic pursuits.

[Narcissists] live in a fantasy land all their own in which they are the center of the universe, admired, feared, held in awe, and respected for their omnipotence and omniscience. . . . Narcissists are prone to magical thinking. They hold themselves immune to the consequences of their actions (or inaction) and, therefore, beyond punishment and the laws of Man. Narcissists are easily persuaded to assume unreasonable risks and expect miracles to happen. They often find themselves on the receiving end of investment scams, for instance. . . . The narcissist believes that he is destined to greatness—or at least the easy life. He wakes up every morning fully ready for a fortuitous stroke of luck. That explains the narcissist's reckless behaviors and his lazed lack of self-discipline. It also explains why he is so easily duped.

Given twi's track record of exploitation and self-interests above all else, there are several reasons why Angela (a woman of color) is being added to the board of directors.

1. Donna Martindale sees the need to protect her backside and adding Angela does that.  Placing another woman in the mix, Donna (and Rosalie) are strengthening their control in a board room of men.
  2. Angela will be pampered and given special perks to cement her loyalty to Donna.  This will give Donna the advantage of *more eyes on the ground* while Donna, Rosalie and Marcia get their "girl-time" shopping and dining out.
  3. If Donna takes too many liberties (travel perks), Vern, John and Bill might feel the need to oust Donna from her pedestal.  Angela will be "reporting back" to Donna constantly.  Count on it.
  4. Bonus:  Angela, a woman of color, is a powerful weapon against white male toxic masculinity in today's world.  This power move will solidify Donna's position for decades.....checkmate.  Heck, at this rate.....Angela might be twi's NEXT ceo?
  5. In amplifying her credentials (a PhD in clinical psychology)......twi has stated, again, that they are secular in nature.  Yeah, yeah....she moves God's Word, but she's got a PhD for God's sake!!
  6. All power resides on the women's side of the ledger.  Vern, John and Bill are simply placeholders......much like Ermal and Harry were.  Who ever remembers three significant things that Ermal ever said or did?

35 minutes ago, Watered Garden said:

I believe from the University of South Carolina but I'm not sure. Now you can all go back to tearing her down. She was wonderful when I knew her.

It's standard in TWI as far as I know.

"Look! This person has a degree . . . Isn't The Ministry Wonderful?  Aren't we all just thankful for The Word?"

To the next person they'll say "Going to school is not putting God First.  Shame Shame Shame."

Ambivalence, or whatever.

I remember Angela and Perry from a few years ago; good people. i also seem to recall Angela's PhD was related to child psychology. Anyway, i think to get anywhere in the field, a PhD is pretty much a necessity.  

I do remember a Lonnel Johnson from years ago, a pharmacist, if i remember correctly, as well as an author.  thats my $0.02.

• Upvote 1

Well, if we’re going to make conjectures about board of directors newcomer Angela, I would speculate on the character references given by OldSkool and Watered Garden, that she will bring some good on a personal level to others…when I was in, it was the genuinely good and kind folks who crossed my path that made life in TWI tolerable…and yet I know it’s a bittersweet thought that TWI exploits people like that…I venture to say if TWI was filled with only harmful and controlling people it would be a veritable hell on earth with no chance for escape…I mean…who would want to? what person in their rotten heart would pass up oodles of opportunities to screw over others? :evildenk:   …and besides that if TWI was all leeches it wouldn’t fare too well…parasites depend on its host for survival…imagine if TWI issued name tags with your designation under your name – either “parasite” or “host”. 

3 hours ago, Peruser said:

I remember Angela and Perry from a few years ago; good people. i also seem to recall Angela's PhD was related to child psychology. Anyway, i think to get anywhere in the field, a PhD is pretty much a necessity.  

I do remember a Lonnel Johnson from years ago, a pharmacist, if i remember correctly, as well as an author.  thats my $0.02.

Yes, Lonnel was a very well educated person. He probably could have helped mitigate some of the cult tendencies if he had been allowed to. And thanks for correcting my spelling of his first name.

1 hour ago, Bolshevik said:

I think the word being alluded to is codependency

Being alluded to by whom? (Sorry, I took a news writing course in the early aughts and the instructor detested the use of passive voice. He made an impression on me)

23 hours ago, skyrider said:
  1. Donna Martindale sees the need to protect her backside and adding Angela does that.  Placing another woman in the mix, Donna (and Rosalie) are strengthening their control in a board room of men.

I was told recently by someone in the know that Vern, Bill, and John all got together and voted Rosalie off the board. When Rosalie added Vern to the board, and I guess he was CEO or president or whatever they call it now, he addressed the staff without getting her permission and this appearantly did not go well as it appears the Vern has a backbone, unlike Rupp or DeLisle who were Rosalies placeholders for years. So Vern got John and Bill on his side and they ousted her. I don't know any more than that, and I also do not know if she is retired or if Donna is still cabinet. I do know that without Rosalie as head honcho that Donna likely is highly diminished. It makes me wonder if Donna is still part of director meetings - you know they meet a lot. Anywho, that's all I know. 

4 hours ago, skyrider said:

Yes......Lonnell Johnson, 5th corps, ordained clergy.

He exited twi in late 70s, early 80s.......and got his PhD.  Smart.  Successful.  Strong Christian.

Lonnell was in the 2nd (Second) Corps with me. Facts matter.

Cheers!

• Upvote 1

I’m hopeful about the changes to the inner-workings of TWI…I wonder what it will  look like 10 or 20 years down the road – provided it would last that long, of course…

…is it possible for  a cult to transition into something less harmful and controlling        ?     (pardon my shameless plug of another thread…oh how subliminal of me :rolleyes:     )…I’m not rooting for TWI or endorsing the organization in any way – just saying I can’t help but feel hopeful anytime I hear of what seems like positive changes and that just might eventually gum up the works.

Imagine some techno-thriller fantasy about a monstrous piece of machinery especially designed to irritate and frustrate others…saboteurs that were assumed to be maintenance personnel are afoot periodically pouring just a tablespoon of sand directly into the carburetor of the engine of this machine…sand in the machinery of strife …now the system designed to irritate and frustrate others gets a taste of its own medicine…The sand particles will grind between the pistons and cylinder walls, degrading them…eventually the seals are compromised…combustion efficiency goes way down…performance gets worse and worse…smoke pouring out the tailpipe…sluggish acceleration…the engine guzzling more and more oil… …voila !  You’ve got a veritable WOW-mobile on your hands !!!!...eventually the WOW-mobile goes kaput…a lot of folks leave the field and go back to normal lives…a few diehards get the WOW-mobile towed to Big Daddy Vic’s Shady Chop Shop and turn it into a Klunker-offshoot…end of story…or is it?

Edited by T-Bone
Typos
  • Upvote 1

On 8/27/2021 at 1:19 PM, T-Bone said:

– just saying I can’t help but feel hopeful anytime I hear of what seems like positive changes and that just might eventually gum up the works.

I feel the same way. I will never go back to TWI for a multitude of reasons, but at the same time, there are a lot of good people trapped (by their own choosing) in that group and anything that makes life better for people is a welcome change.