GreaseSpot Cafe

Our Flounder in The Turd - Sewer Trout of all Ages

Bolshevik

Victor Paul Wierwille spent several decades vigorously and prayerfully searching out the truths of God’s Word. As part of his search he consulted and worked with many outstanding individuals in Christian studies for keys to power-filled, victorious living. Such men as Karl Barth, Joseph Bauer, Glenn Clark, Karl J. Ernst, Josiah Friedli, Louis C. Hessert, Elmer G. Homrighausen, E. Stanley Jones, George M. Lamsa, Richard and Reinhold Niebuhr, K. C. Pillai, Paul Tillich, Ernst Traeger, and many others were a part of Dr. Wierwille’s quest to find the truths of the Word of God.

Dr. Wierwille’s academic career included Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Theology degrees from Mission House (Lakeland) College and Seminary, and graduate studies at the University of Chicago and at Princeton Theological Seminary, where he earned the Master of Theology degree in Practical Theology. Later he completed his work for the Doctor of Theology degree at Pikes Peak Bible Seminary and Burton College in Manitou Springs, Colorado.

For over forty years, Dr. Wierwille devoted his major energies to intensive research and teaching of the accuracy of God’s Word. In 1953 he began teaching his Biblical research in classes on Power for Abundant Living. He was the founder and first president of The Way International, a nonsectarian, nondenominational Biblical research, teaching, and fellowship ministry. He held the presidency of The Way College of Emporia, and he was the founder and first president of several other centers of learning: The Way College of Biblical Research, Indiana Campus; Camp Gunnison; and LEAD Outdoor Academy International.

As Dr. Wierwille persevered in his research of the Bible, he continued to write more research works and to develop further classes in Biblical studies, including The University of Life outreach courses, an international Biblical studies correspondence school. As a dynamic lecturer, he traveled and taught worldwide, holding forth the greatness and the accuracy of God’s Word with great intensity until his death in May of 1985.

"He was the founder and first president of TWI" . . . "a non-something non-banana non-whatever something something ministry"

That is a loaded sentence.

"oh yeah while he was doing things he started this organization, not that we want to overemphasize him as the ministry is not an extension of him or anything but we just mentioning him in passing sort of . . . oh and by the way the ministry is defined by this sentence of preemptive words, words that have meanings, meanings that you shouldn't think too much about . . . we're for the The Word which is self-explanatory once you have the keys . . . and we have the keys"

Just now, chockfull said:

Wow I just noticed they removed JE Stiles who led VP into SIT and who he copied his book 70% of to produce Receiving the Holy Spirit Today from the list of those Christians he worked with.

Also removed the Canadian minister from whom the Adv class format was lifted.  The one who ordained VPW son Don.

• Like 1

They inflated the education credentials as always.  Pikes Peak Seminary and Burton College - LMFAO

Wikipedia states first sentence this is an unaccredited  correspondence school in Manitou Springs Colorado.

It is known by two names.  Why?  This is a physical home in that city - a residential home that took on boarders.  Two of these boarders had doctorate of Theology degrees, one named Burton.  They started a correspondence school.  The curriculum was mail in an essay every once in a while with your tuition and come travel to speak in person to graduate and get your degree.

No college campus.  No classes.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bolshevik said:

holding forth the greatness and the accuracy of God’s Word with great intensity until his death in May of 1985.

This is an example of their private interpretation. It's like unlocking a door without a key. If you don't know what to do with that key once you've got it, what use is it? I mean, c'mon people!! Death doesn't happen naturally or even by serpent seed. That just doesn't make any sense. And it's your job to MAKE it make sense, if you want to stand while walking. That's right. Death comes when you stop what? [BELIEVING!]  Death comes when you stop believing. That's riiight. And can you stop believing when you're holding forth with great intensity? [NO!] No you cannot. You can only stop believing when you get tired. The word tired here should be the word fatigue.

So an accurate translation, according to usage: "Holding forth until his fatigue in 1985."

Edited by Nathan_Jr
Mail order degrees
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

This is an example of their private interpretation. It's like unlocking a door without a key. If you don't know what to do with that key once you've got it, what use is it? I mean, c'mon people!! Death doesn't happen naturally or even by serpent seed. That just doesn't make any sense. And it's your job to MAKE it make sense, if you want to stand while walking. That's right. Death comes when you stop what? [BELIEVING!]  Death comes when you stop believing. That's riiight. And can you stop believing when you're holding forth with great intensity? [NO!] No you cannot. You can only stop believing when you get tired. The word tired here should be the word fatigue.

So an accurate translation, according to usage: "Holding forth until his fatigue in 1985."

So I just googled "holding forth" . . . cause questioning

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/hold-forth

hold forth  phrasal verb with hold verb          US      /hoʊld/ UK    /həʊld/  held | heldusually disapproving

to talk about a particular subject for a long time, often in a way that other people find boring:

She held forth all afternoon about/on government incompetence.

There it is, fatigue is caused by holding forth things.  To stop believing is to stop holding.  Remember Moses?  Others had to hold his forearms with four arms to part the Red Sea.  Otherwise he'd fatigue, quit believing, or the waters would come forth.  It's The Word folks.
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

Holding forth is the how (H-O-W) to teach. Teaching is rubbing in by repetition, and you rub in by holding forth.

It all fits like a hand in a glove embroidered with credentials.
. . 

Wax On, Wax Off - TV Tropes

It is a spiritual competition.

3 minutes ago, Nathan_Jr said:

It is an ATHLETIC spiritual competition.

Indeed we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but doesn't putting on whole armor increase the likelihood of fatigue?  I guess if we're just going to Stand there, like Moses.  Boring. 

50 minutes ago, Bolshevik said:

Wax On, Wax Off - TV Tropes

It is a spiritual competition.

Do NOT  ...I repeat do NOT make mention of the Karate Kid !!!!!  They must have played that movie every other weekend at Rome City...I'm sick of that $hit I tellz ya!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chockfull said:

Wow I just noticed they removed JE Stiles who led VP into SIT and who he copied his book 70% of to produce Receiving the Holy Spirit Today from the list of those Christians he worked with.

Yeah – interesting they removed his name…that reminds me of something else. I’ve shared this on Grease Spot many times before when I got into checking on some of wierwille’s credentials – during the aftermath of Passing of the Patriarch I was driven by a bad feeling I was getting from all the bull$hit flying around   … In early June of 1987, I contacted The Moody Correspondence School Department of the Moody Bible Institute and spoke with Vivian Ruby in the Registrar’s Office. I was stunned to find out they had no record of wierwille completing a course with them. I couldn’t believe it. I didn’t want to believe it. I had to have something more tangible than a woman’s voice over the phone telling me that in effect wierwille lied about something in his education. I asked her to mail me that information in a letter with Moody Correspondence School’s official letterhead.  You can see her letter   here 

Too bad I wasn’t more of an investigative reporter back then  cuz there’s something else I never looked into – partly because I didn’t know how to go about doing it and partly cuz I got kinda  sidetracked on another project of studying up on systematic theology and hermeneutics so I could be better equipped to reevaluate wierwille’s body of work…anyway in the authorized book on TWI, titled   The Way: Living in Love      (by Elena S. Whiteside, co 1972, American Christian Press, Library of Congress Catalog Card Number 72-89132),   on page 175, Whiteside quoted wierwille as he talked about his studies and influences:

I don’t remember much of the past. I’ll have to renew my mind. Oh yes, did I tell you I taught at Gordon Divinity School? Homiletics was my specialty – that’s preaching. I took everything I could take at the Moody Bible Institute too, through their correspondence courses.

And in the years that followed, there were many men I learned from: Glenn Clark, Karl Barth from Switzerland, E. Stanley Jones, Paul Tillich, Starr Daily, Rufus Mosley, Dr. John Gaynor Banks, and there were many, many others. I tried to get all I could from anybody.

A few times since I left TWI I thought about checking out his claim of teaching homiletics at Gordon Divinity School…But over the years I forgot about that itty bitty detail…but after your post mentioning the JE Stiles omission – I thought about it again…seems kinda fishy that he would mention it to Whiteside but it’s not mentioned on TWI’s website about the founder . I looked this up Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary

…. if I was bragging about my credentials and accomplishments, I would definitely list teaching at Gordon Divinity Schoolif it were true of course!  It’s ranked 23rd see here >  30 Best Theological Seminaries in the United States

Just read the first paragraph on Wikipedia – note if you read the article there was a merger or two – so you’ll see it listed with a combo name:
Gordon–Conwell Theological Seminary (GCTS) is an evangelical seminary with its main campus in Hamilton, Massachusetts, and three other campuses in Boston, Massachusetts; Charlotte, North Carolina; and Jacksonville, Florida. According to the Association of Theological Schools, Gordon-Conwell ranks as one of the largest evangelical seminaries in North America in terms of total number of full-time students enrolled.”   Wikipedia - Gordon Conwell Theological Seminary     If you scroll down and look at notable faculty and alumni - I recognize a few names from commentaries, theological studies and Lexicons I've read.

Just seems kinda odd that   TEACHING    at Gordon Divinity School is not mentioned in his list of accomplishments.

What’s up with that?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Edited by T-Bone
Former Editor of a Great Metropolitan Gossip Column
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T-Bone said:

I don’t remember much of the past. I’ll have to renew my mind.

I remember the earlier post on Moody. Thank you, T-Bone, for all you've done here over the years.

The claim to not remember the past is a hedge used to mitigate potential exposures in the future. Almost every "sermon" or "teaching" from vic contains one or more of these hedges. They are subtle. One doesn't need to manufacture this cunning feature of deception, but one needs to pay attention and be vigilant. His con game runs so deep, it's pathological. The word salad is so fluffy and distracting, it leaves one's head spinning - this is by design.

I thought renewing of the mind was about toeing the line, conforming to Way think, filling the mind with the program. Would he use believing faith or would he operate the manifestation of believing to renew his mind for improved memory?

Edited by Nathan_Jr
Belief has no place where Truth is concerned
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, T-Bone said:

did I tell you I taught at Gordon Divinity School? Homiletics was my specialty – that’s preaching

Gordon–Conwell Theological Seminary (GCTS) is an evangelical seminary...

Are they the "same" institution? Or a copycat with a similar name?  Like his claim to have studied at Princeton / Princeton Theological College but it wasn't it was somewhere of a similar name (if indeed he studied there at all!).  :evilshades: 

I don't care to remember the details.  I don't care about VPW or his phony credentials or his organisation at all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Twinky said:

Are they the "same" institution? Or a copycat with a similar name?  Like his claim to have studied at Princeton / Princeton Theological College but it wasn't it was somewhere of a similar name (if indeed he studied there at all!).  :evilshades: 

I don't care to remember the details.  I don't care about VPW or his phony credentials or his organisation at all.

Click on the Wikipedia link in my post - it’s the same institution - it merged with another - hence the hyphenated name

But interesting you should ask that. I wonder if wierwille mentioning the Moody correspondence school and a seminary that went thru a name change as a ploy to make it a little more difficult to verify his claims. Like claiming you worked for some place that went out of business or the place burned down.

Edited by T-Bone
Former editor in chief to the Daily Planet

All of these were correspondence schools.  This needs explaining in the day of the virtual classroom.  

Correspondence schools have written essays and papers as the primary artifact of education written on topics by the student and graded by the staff.

So Monday morning Dr A would go to mailbox, get the typewritten essay probably mostly put together by Rhoda, and make a few red pen comments, write a hand written one page eval and mail it back to Wierwille with comments.

Rinse and repeat for a year or so, then mail out diplomas.

All of these were correspondence schools.  This needs explaining in the day of the virtual classroom.  

Correspondence schools have written essays and papers as the primary artifact of education written on topics by the student and graded by the staff.

So Monday morning Dr A would go to mailbox, get the typewritten essay probably mostly put together by Rhoda, and make a few red pen comments, write a hand written one page eval and mail it back to Wierwille with comments.

One of the main thing to note here is the lack of real formal education in Theology, or a seminary with real oversight of peoples lives, or anything with any accountability.  I think Wierwille was mostly allergic to accountability.

14 minutes ago, chockfull said:

One of the main thing to note here is the lack of real formal education in Theology, or a seminary with real oversight of peoples lives, or anything with any accountability.  I think Wierwille was mostly allergic to accountability.

There's still, IMO, a difference in quality of education between face-to-face and online, today.  

But it is speculated? Rhoda (wierwille?) did the work for VPW?  Not only did he go to low quality, questionably accredited, shadowy schools but he copied off the other kids? . . . Cheating is a habit started early . . .