GreaseSpot Cafe

Trivia about Movies, TV, Music, or anything to do with anything.

9 hours ago, modcat5 said:

The man's NAME is a hint.

Millions of schoolkids recite his name [first and last, not middle] unwittingly at least once a year. They don't know they're doing this because they're actually doing something else. 

His first and last name....  Harrison Tyler.... what are they trying to do... not a children's song....

Ok, they say his name when they recite the list of US Presidential last names in order, with William Henry Harrison succeeded by "TIppercanoe" (John Tyler.) 

I remember when Clinton and Gore ran for President/VP, the Tonight Show invited on a man named Clinton Gore.  Normal guy, but suddenly people started posting his name on bumper stickers everywhere, by coincidence of a common name with the last names of the candidates.  I don't think that's the case here- there would be nothing noteworthy about it, just a historical footnote.

Is he the last surviving descendant of John Tyler, or something?   (Or something really weird, like the last descendant of both William Henry Harrison and John Tyler?  That WOULD be something.)

That's about as close as you're gonna get without getting the actual correct answer, so I'm giving it to you.

John Tyler was born during George Washington's presidency.

Harrison Tyler is John Tyler's grandson. No, not great great great grandson. Just grandson, as in, John Tyler, born in the late 1700s, was his Daddy's Daddy.

Both being able to pass on genes at that age while appealing to women who can still have a kid is probably more notable about passing on than being the last descendant of John Tyler (if he actually had been, of course, since that wasn't exactly the answer.) 

I need to think of something interesting, if possible.

Ok, for lack of anything funny, here's another one WordPup can answer, IIRC.

All of you have heard of the famous "Boston Tea Party."  Most people know a few details. I'm curious if you know all the main details (as I see them, at least.)  So, please answer all parts....

A) Where did it take place?  (More specific than "what city".)

B) How did the rebelling colonists dress for it?

C) What TWO commodities did it involve?

D) What did the colonists do with EACH commodity?

I'm guessing you can all answer A & B but probably not C &D IN FULL.

Then again, perhaps you will surprise me- it's happened before.

Considering the actual answers, that's pretty close.

They found tea and MOLASSES on board.

They dumped the tea, and they kept the molasses..... which was used to make rum!

There was a sequence of trade.  Kidnap Africans as slaves, dump them onto farms, grow molasses, bring the molasses to the 13 colonies, process it to rum, then ship the rum to the UK.   In this case, they kept the rum and drank it themselves (hardly the first time they'd drunk rum...)

George's turn.

57 minutes ago, WordWolf said:

There was a sequence of trade.  Kidnap Africans as slaves, dump them onto farms, grow molasses, bring the molasses to the 13 colonies, process it to rum, then ship the rum to the UK.   In this case, they kept the rum and drank it themselves (hardly the first time they'd drunk rum...)

Reminds me of the show-stopper "Molasses to Rum" in the musical "1776."  Edward Rutledge points out the hypocrisy of the northern states in railing against slavery when the North was using slaves as part of a trade cycle with the South and Europe.

New one shortly.

George