Sudo

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cowgirl and Chas,

That is truly a beautiful song and one of my favorite hymns. We never sang it in the Baptist church when I was growing up but its popular at my current Disciples Of Christ church. We have a pipe organ and choir that can really do it justice, too.

sudo

"TOTW,

Have I said hello to you in here yet?"

I think so, Kathy. I try to follow the rules of the road (thread). I have been enjoying all of the contributions tremendously: I just don't have the ability to contribute my own favorites yet, so I just stick my toe in now and then. Hope you don't mind. :unsure:

Sometimes I sound bosy about the rules around here. :redface:

But the real rule is that you relax and enjoy yourself. And that looks different for us all. I love having you here, and I know we've spoken but you forget sometimes where. I mean were we in the produce section or meat. :biglaugh:

Okay, back to the thread. I got distracted. What can I say. :unsure:

Cowgirl,

That is a beautiful tune with no words at all. And even if you didn't know what they were you'd know them by sound. It has a reverent feel. I enjoyed it very much.

Chas,

Very nice of you to supply the words. It's a nice option isn't it? Being able to hear and read at the same time even when you can hear the words. But then that may come from my generation. :biglaugh:

Good morning all!!

ChattyKathy, Sudo and Chas, I'm glad you really liked that piece of music !

It's raining here today, but a nice warm rain, the kind you want to go walking in and don't mind getting soaked to the skin. And that brings a song to my mind, another oldie but a huge hit !!

Yeah, I admit it, I am a hopeless romantic, oh well see if you can guess who sings it!!

Cowgirl

HERE

photo_10hole_rainbow.jpg

Cowgirl,

That is a lovely picture. Some of the most breathtaking scenes I've seen were when we were in Illinois after a storm and the skies were still dark blue and you'd come around a bend and right before you was a full, I mean you could see it touch the ground on both sides full, rainbow.

I like that song, although I hate to be so picky but I don't actually care for most of his songs. Perhaps y'all don't need to know that stuff anyway. :redface:

Moon Girl,

Your hubby's voice messages to me sound exhausted. You two have loads going on. Bless you all.

Because the last Clarabelle has passed on.

I have to say I never got into Howdy Doody. By the time I was aware, it had been demoted to once a week on Saturday morning, but I just never dug it. I was bored with the puppets and Clarabelle, and always felt like Buffalo Bob was talking down to me, as opposed to Sonny Fox and Sandy Becker on the local NYC station, who never talked down to kids.

Howdy Doody himself kind of creeped me out, as did Rootie Kazootie. I did like Pookie the lion on Soupy Sales.

That's a pretty cool graphic, Kathy.

Buffalo Bob and company lived in 'Doodyville', and I suspect that title card was a relic from the early 50's. Unless it's not.

There really wasn't much to remember from the Howdy Doody show. Howdy himself seemed to only appear to advertise Bosco or Twinkies.

Not a good show in my opinion. Slightly better than Bozo, but that's not saying much.

One thing the Howdy Doody show did give us was the term'peanut gallery', referring to the shock and awed children in the stands. My best friend back then somehow got to sit in the peanut gallery once, and couldn't stop crying, ending his show business career at 4.

Slightly better than Bozo, but that's not saying much.

Them's fightin' words, Hiway! Bozo ROCKED! (This of course was on WGN in Chicago, the REAL "Bozo's Circus." I understand that there were knockoffs around the country. Perhaps you had the misfortune to watch one of THEM.)

George

dsorgcast.jpg

Edited by GeorgeStGeorge

well, the NYC Bozo, never had that cast of interesting characters. Just a 'peanut gallery' and awful Bozo cartoons between the games.

Chicago had Larry Harmon-the one true Bozo.

By the way, I drew a Bozo comic book for a couple issues in the 80's, so I do have a certain affection for the big lug.

Hiwayman,

Its from Dec-Jan 1948-49. That's older than me, cool. :)

Some of those old blurry black and whites are my favorites though. I mean even African Queen was a hard watch at times but the actors and movie was so good it didn't hurt it. And mainly because the language back then was beautiful. IMHO

SaintGeorge,

I'm going to say it's Friday night and I earned it but it's Thursday. So I'm just going to say I don't remember much of that one either. :(

"Bozo's Circus" was a very popular kids' show in Chicago. In fact, the waiting list for kids to get on was 12 YEARS, at one time. Probably best to get tickets before you were engaged! Though Larry Harmon created the character of Bozo, it was Bob Bell who portrayed him for years. Add Ringmaster Ned (Locke), Oliver O. Oliver (Ray Rayner), Sandy the Clown (Don Sandburg), and Bob Trendler leading the Big Top Orchestra, and you have the recipe for entertainment. Sure, the set was cheesy -- Bozo's "Grand Prize Game" consisted of six buckets about a foot apart and a ping-pong ball, but every kid hoped the "magic fingers" (two arrows superimposed over the screen) would pick him to play.

I taped a 50-year retrospective of WGN back in 2001 (fortunately, my cable company carried WGN then). It was fascinating to see how Bell, Rayner, Frazier Thomas, and famed sportscaster Jack Brickhouse did everything on that network from the morning farm report to kids' shows to the evening news.

Hiway -- did you ever watch "Garfield Goose"?

George

George, the Bozo Circus you saw was miles beyond the NYC version. I 'd be curious to see one of those if they've been preserved.

I didn't know that Larry Harmon didn't play the clown in Chicago-now I'm wondering where he DID-or if he did in the beginning, then 'climbed the ladder', overseeing the Bozo franchise from his executive suite.

Harmon also 'created' cartoon versions of Laurel and Hardy, that became the standard in comic book form, and a series of cartoons about as bad as the Bozo cartoons. They had little in common with Laurel and Hardy, save a decent caricature.

When I was drawing the Bozo comic book in the 80's, I also got the opportunity to write and draw a couple of issues of a L&H comic book, as the company I worked for had a licensing deal with Larry harmon for both properties. Being a huge Laurel and hardy fan, I relished the opportunity to write the comic with as many legitimate L&H bits as I could. I found it difficult to translate Stan to a comic book, but the Oliver Hardy character was perfect, as he had such broad mannerisms as the tie twiddle, looks into the 'camera', and others.I was also able to 'sneak in' cameos by Jim Finlayson, Mae Busch, and the 'Our Gang' kids.

I never saw Garfield Goose. Am I right that it was a Chicago show with puppets? Perhaps the closest NYC show to it would have been Sandy Becker. The demise of local stations, with local programming has been a huge loss to television. Most every major city had their own kid shows ( with varying degrees of success), and I'm sure Garfield Goose was an institution to Chicagoans.

Garfield Goose was indeed a puppet show. Garfield Goose was the self-proclaimed "King of the United States," assisted by the live actor Frazier Thomas as his "Prime Minister." Other puppet characters included Romberg Rabbit, the court magician, and Beauregard Burnside III, a bloodhound chief of security. (BB III was always nodding off, but was wakened by FT shouting in his ear, "Hamburgers, hot dogs, spaghetti and meatballs!") There were other, minor characters, as well.

The show came on in the late afternoon (around 5 PM, I think), so I could see it every day. "Bozo's Circus" was on at noon, so I only saw it during school vacations.

In the WGN retrospective, it was stated that whenever anyone visited the station and looked through the memorabilia, he would always "have to see" the old GG sock puppet.

The GG show also showed several cartoons, including the all-time stinker "Clutch Cargo."

Here's a link with a bit more info: Garfield Goose

This picture shows, L to R, Garfield, Romberg, and Frazier:

gargoose2.jpg

George

Bozo must not have been as big a deal around HERE as it was in Chicago or New York. But yeah.. I remember Bozo cartoons. Do you guys know what has red hair and lives in a test tube??? Bozo the Clone. Ka-ching bam! But seriously folks...

I've been watching a few movies on TCM dealing with Hollywood and race. I've mentioned and posted Birth Of A Nation and yesterday watched Intruder in The Dust. It was filmed in Oxford Mississippi (can I get a Rebel yell here??) back in 1949 and it was so interesting to see the Oxford square (remember I'm down there quite a lot now with my daughter being an Ole Miss student) then compared to now. The movie wasn't a big hit but it was big news to THIS area that a major motion picture was being made in the area.

But after the movie, TCM played one of their "one reel wonders"... a 1933 short that featured a future star. I loaded it to the hard drive, clipped it... edited it.. and got it down to 16 megs but that is STLL too large for you guys to watch without it bogging down on first click . So click HERE! and restart it after a bit to let it run through. It's only a minute and a half long. You can RIGHT click on it, too, and save it. Does anyone know who the future star is??

sudo