GreaseSpot Cafe

The Nostalgia Thread

Sudo

Dang Kathy!!!

You've done GOOD!! You've picked out a TV theme that I KNOW I've heard but can't place exactly. That style sounds like mid 60's to me.. a little like The Lucy Show... or even the Don't Eat The Daisies that you posted. You do know what you have to do now don't you?? You have to post hints! This is fun!! And one that stumped Hiway29 no less!

As a follow up (sorry I've been absent) yes... it was Bing. The first tune that sounds so romantic to me (HERE!) and a follow up.. probably Bing's last performance with an unexpected partner. At least, no one would confuse him with Bob Hope. Wasway once told us he watched this live with his dad who passed away not long afterwards so its sure to be nostalgic for him. Click HERE!. Man, seems like another lifetime ago.

sudo

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:)

I'll have to listen to your links at home but.....

Yo-Yo Man would be a current clue for that old comedy television show pair of........

Sorry, all I have time for now but I hope that helps.

Oh yeah, I forgot.....rats......now I can't smack Rick.....hmmm, can I still smack SaintGeorge perhaps......okay I have to go now really I do...............

a-HA

It was my 'first thought' so I should have gone with it. The reason I didn'y was because Kathy said it was a popular show. It's true that the variety show was quite popular, but this theme came from an earlier sit-com that only lasted one season.

The Smothers Brothers !

This theme came from a 1963 or so sitcom that featured Tommy as an angel who is sent to 'help' his brother Dick. I liked it but was one of the few.

The Smothers brothers Comedy Hour theme was much different, and I suspect that Kathy was thinking of that show when she put the theme here.

I was thinking of the show where they bantered back and forth like Sudo's clue Keep in mind mother always loved you best so there!!!! Is this theme not that show?

It's been fun on this one, I rarely stump you folks.

The movie those two came from had an unusal composer of the first link. His name is Clint Eastwood.

Sudo,

What a treat! I've always loved their version but didn't own it. And having the intro like that is awesome! Thank you! You topped yourself on this one man.

No-the theme posted was NOT from the show where they bantered back and forth. It was from the sit-com that I described a couple of posts back. I'll concede being 'stumped', because I didn't go with my gut and guess it. It didn't occur to me that you were thinking of the much more popular variety show, which had a much different theme.

It did remind of that old sit com they did tho. Tommy as the 'bumbling' angel, who can only be seen by his brother Dick, playing it as straight as a straight man can.

Hello you early birds!!

We're having a wintry weather day.. mostly sleet. I love my digital camera. Even though it's relatively a cheapie I can still run take a pic and throw it up in a post or e-mail in minutes! Here's one from my front porch just a few minutes ago...

snowflake1.jpg

I've got to tell kathy that even though I'm sure Hiway29 is completely correct as usual (we're lucky to have someone like him here, doncha' think) I remember it like she does. But she remembers things that I don't.. like Rick's Saturday good morning song... never heard it. But Mr. Spaceman?? Hee-hee! I'd forgotten all about that one but yes... remember it I do. Don't know who did it though.. maybe a one-hit wonder??

I've been thinking about that original Meet The Beatles album and what a giddy time that was for America. We were ripe for the British Invasion. JFK had been assasinated just 3 months previously. We had already started our involvement in Vietnam and we were starting to hear the casualties. Yes, America was ready for some light diversion. Anyone here old enough... (and I don't THINK Rick quite makes it).... was surely in front of the TV at least one of the three times The Beatles appeared on Ed Sullivan. It was something!

So here's one of the songs they played that very first night. I have it in a good quality stereo MP3 file but as I was listening to it, it sounded different. Not like I remembered it. But after I converted it to a mono well THEN I heard what I remembered.. that's how it sounded on our record player! Here's a pic I found of about how our record player looked. It had a lid just like this one. I mean.. it looked a LOT like this one and of course.. had the one single (I'm guessing) 3" speaker.

Silvertone%20portable%20record%20player_

For that song that drove the girls wild.. Click HERE!

sudo

Sudo,

Yes indeedy! That song did drive me wild. :redface2:

And I don't want to talk about how much younger Rick is than me. :asdf:

It's lightly snowing here but I doubt it will continue much longer. :(

We had a record player that looked very much like that one. Sure wish I had one today.

On my link here is another of their songs that may help ya recognize them. HERE wav or HERE mp3

By the way are you all enjoying this beautiful weather like me. Right now, it's sunny and it feels like it's around 80. Went for a hike through a nature preserve and it was wonderful. I couldn't even count how many turtles I saw, but I did count five gators. (No, I wasn't were they could get to me.) It was so totally awesome.

Now somebody please explain to me why anyone would choose remain in such a place as Ohio on a day like this. :confused:

Who would smack Rick if I left Ohio. :unsure:

He could come down here too and we both could smack him! :biglaugh:

I'd love to stay and play but I'm trying to feel better actually. And it is bitter cold outside (moving into single digits now) that is for certain Moon Girl.

I know. :evilshades:

Edited by moony3424

Hiway was correct, of course. Though most people remember Diana Rigg as Emma Peel, she was preceded by Honor Blackman as Catherine Gale in early B&W episodes. Diana was replaced by Linda Thorson as Tara King (my personal favorite) in the last season of the original Avengers. Joanna Lumley played Purdey in "The New Avengers" for two seasons in the mid-70's. All opposite the unflappable Patrick MacNee as John Steed.

Honor Blackman was also, of course, wimp Galore in "Goldfinger." Diana Rigg was Tracy Di Vicenzo in "On Her Majesty's Secret Service." The latter film was the only to star George Lazenby as Bond, and the only time Bond actually married. (Of course, "Tracy" had to die.)

When "The Avengers" first aired in the States, I thought it was about the Marvel super-hero group. I was disappointed to find out otherwise, but I grew to enjoy the show immensely. The 1998 film was okay, but a bit of a disappointment.

George

• Sean Connery

• George Lazenby

• Roger Moore

• Timothy Dalton

• Pierce Brosnan

• Daniel Craig

(borrowed from wikipedia)

Which do y'all prefer as James Bond? Although I realize Daniel Craig is to be the new Bond. I'm partial to Sean Connery even though I enjoyed Roger Moore quite a bit also. The others just aren't memorable to me. Although I did see the one where the new bride was shot in the car on the hillside road and that was sad yet pretty much expected. James Bond can't be held down by a wife ya know. :unsure:

Diana Rigg and Patrick MacNee were an excellent team IMHO. Gosh, I loved The Avengers!