Sudo

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kathy,

Sounds like you're getting Mooney's coffee bug. Or maybe Ala's wake up music did it for you. IT made me think of a very old tune by Irving Berlin written in 1932 when things weren't so good in America. And I guess if we had someone old enough hanging 'round here it would qualify as nostalgia. As it is.. it makes me think of my favorite uncle who was 18 years old when this song came out. He died in a plane crash many years ago but he used to sing this song... knew all the words.

When things looked bleak during the depression.. this song was very comforting to folks. Because the theme was something that poor people... even people thrown out of work could usually do... have another cup of coffee... and another piece of pie. Click HERE!

sudo

Kathy,

Sounds like you're getting Mooney's coffee bug. Or maybe Ala's wake up music did it for you. IT made me think of a very old tune by Irving Berlin written in 1932 when things weren't so good in America. And I guess if we had someone old enough hanging 'round here it would qualify as nostalgia. As it is.. it makes me think of my favorite uncle who was 18 years old when this song came out. He died in a plane crash many years ago but he used to sing this song... knew all the words.

When things looked bleak during the depression.. this song was very comforting to folks. Because the theme was something that poor people... even people thrown out of work could usually do... have another cup of coffee... and another piece of pie. Click HERE

The beginning reminded me of a Maxwell House Coffee commercial that had some similar wording but I found something nostalgic about MH Coffee theme songs.

The second 45 this month is a great single-sided promo from Maxwell House Coffee entitled "The Sound of Ground," arranged and conducted by Wade Denning. If my memory serves me, this theme, which is an emulation of a coffee percolator, was used in Maxwell House commercials back in the 50s and 60s, which dates the record from that time.

"The Sound of Ground" starts with the eleven note theme played on tuned wood percussion, quickly supplemented by plucked bass, brass, xylophone and flitting flute. The impression quickly moves from the homey kitchen into jungle exotica like Les Baxter or Martin Denny might have done! Then, a drum roll and the record shifts into a jazzy band swing arrangement with piano and sax solos. Wild, man! The wood block led theme returns and the record fades out.

Sudo, I'm sorry but I don't share you love of big band. But I loved your sentiments of the cup of coffee and piece of pie and how well I recall that from my farming family of outer cities of Memphis. In fact one of my favorite places was a small dinner in the downtown square of one of those small cities near you where you could sit at the counter and see the world go by behind you by way of a huge mirror on the wall behind the counter. I thought I was so grown up sitting at the counter. Um, that wasn't really related was it? Oh well. :unsure:

Ala, it was a great song. I just got that Maxwell House thingee going right of the bat. :blink: :)

Mooney,

Yeah, that's it. Thanks for taking the time to find that pic. Yes I know that big band isn't everybody's cup 'a tea and I ALWAYS find that interesting as to what style of music people get into. I mean, I listen to some of this rap or hip-hop coming out of booming speakers in cars beside me in traffic and I can't understand how that is appealing to anybody. I remember hearing my parents and their generation lambasting the early Beatles. Not their later psychedelic stuff mind you but their early stuff... the music that I would think would be appealing to most everyone. Stuff from their first "Meet The Beatles" abum like "I Want To Hold Your Hand". How could anyone not like that music? But they did. Called it a flash in the pan.. wouldn't hold up. You know what I'm talking about.

Maybe you guys don't care for bigband music. I can understand that. But that first Beatles album?? For my favorite song on it... click HERE! I bought that album with my hard earned paper route money. Seems to me it was $4.50 for the stereo album. Do ya'll remember that you could buy those albums back then in stereo or mono? Is this nostalgic, guys??

sudo

Sudo

That brought tears to my eyes. This was the first album that I ever owned. My dad got it for me in 1965. I remember watching all the Ed Sullivan shows when the first came to the US. At the time I wondered if it was rock music in general that I loved or the Beatles in particular. I decided it was the Beatles. I later (and it disapeared years later) got a 45 rpm of their original single of "My Bonnie".

2x2meetthebeatlesLPa.jpg

Ala, I love that song but being honest I'd have to say Judy Garland IS that song for me. :)

And Joey's hard to put out of your heart and mind dear one. :(

Sudo, I do love those oldBeatles and was wondering if you and Rick had some Beatlemania thing going on in the back room because he's been playing and talking about that also. Was there an anniversary of something recently pertaining to them? Hubby's favorite (as he was just listening to me play your tune) said his favorite was Fool on the Hill. I don't think I have one. I've liked them, not liked them, and liked them again. :)

When I can figure out how to reduce pics I scan I'll show you my first 45. It's the only one I saved but it's precious to me.

BTW, I've been instructed and have proper settings for that program you two use that use to make me run and hide, I'll start doing wav versus mp3's now.

Moon Girl, What was your pic of?

Good Morning young lady! Thanks for the pic again. And I think I know why the interest in the Beatles perhaps: 2/9/1964 - The Beatles made the first of three record-breaking appearances on "The Ed Sullivan Show." 73 million people watched the show. It was their American TV debut.

This one had a wife/mother who dared to be somewhat unconventional at the time. HERE

I never understood what eating flowers had to do with the tv series.

I recently saw the movie that came before it (though it was originally a book , I think), and was surprised at how good it was.

"Meet the Beatles' was my first record also. I wore that sucker out. I also continued to love the Beatles right up to the end and beyond.There is a remarkable book out called 'The Beatles" by Bob Spitz, that is the most detailed, honest biography of them I've ever read. It's over 800 pages, and is as in depth a book as you're going to find. It especially focuses on the years before 'Beatlemania'. They don't even get to the Ed Sullivan show before page 500 ! Among other things, I came away understanding Pete Best, Stu Sutcliffe, Brian Epstein and Yoko (ugh) Ono.

Kathy,

Hiway29 is right.. that TV show didn't have much to do with flowers, eh? In a way it had a Green Acres kind of theme.. New Yorkers plunged into backyard America. So does anyone remember what they paid for their Meet The Beatles album? Does anyone still HAVE that album still? I bet it would be worth some money.

Oh and Mooney.. I have My Bonnie at home I'm pretty sure. Would you like to hear it? And one more question.. Kathy, did you really like that TV series? I didn't watch it that much and seems to me it wasn't on that long. Most TV series that were made to follow up a popular movie don't do that well but there are notable exceptions. Anyone remember M.A.S.H.?

sudo (what? That was a movie first? :biglaugh: )

I'll save you the trouble Sudo. MY BONNIE

I don't think this was ever released in the US. At the beginning he mentions that it made number 5 on the German Hit Parade and goes on to say it didn't do too well "here". I think "here" meant Great Britain.

By the way, it's credited as "Tony Sheridan and the Beatles". After the Quarrymen days, but not quite THE BEATLES yet.

Now, this is all from memory, and I may be totally wrong.

Rick

Edited by Bluzeman

Lots of info about Tony Sheridan and the Beatles HERE.

Not long after, Tony graduated to the Top Ten Club, when he met the Beatles and other British bands who were by then playing in Germany. It was during this period that Sheridan took a young George Harrison under his wing and helped him better master the guitar. George was very eager to learn, and by the time of the Beatles' second trip to Hamburg (in April of '61), the Beatles and Tony Sheridan had become accustomed to playing together.

By that time, too, Polydor Records was seeking to offer Tony his first recording contract. Since Tony often played with the Beatles, they were familiar with the songs he might record. Some accounts have Bert Kaempfert himself hearing the Beatles at the Top Ten Club and personally signing the group, behind Tony Sheridan.

The accounts relating exactly what was recorded and when are a little musty with age. Gottfridsson has the first session for Polydor taking place on June 22-23. As Joe Brennan's Variation's Guide indicates, the session's recording engineer has said that the record was mixed live from twin track to stereo. Some people claim that the slow English intro was recorded by Tony and the Beatles but that the German intro was done months later, when the Beatles were absent. Since the German version of the single (and picture sleeve) appears to have been released slightly earlier, if this is the case, then the German intro must have been recorded in June (with or without the Beatles). One account has the recordings being made on the stage of a local school!

As to what was recorded, it is known for certain that "My Bonnie (Lies Over the Ocean)," "The Saints (When the Saints Go Marching In)," "Why," "Cry For a Shadow," "Ain't She Sweet," "Take Out Some Insurance On Me Baby," and "Nobody's Child" were recorded at that (first) session. The eighth song released from the Beatles' tenure with Tony Sheridan, "Sweet Georgia Brown," which exists in two versions, appears to have been recorded on a four-track machine, although there may be another explanation. According to Gottfridsson, the Beatles were scheduled to record with Tony in Hamburg in February of 1962, but with them absent, Tony recorded two songs with Bert Kaempfert's orchestra. The Beatles had already been paid for the session, and so, they would record with Tony later. Early articles exist mentioning a recording session on May 24, 1962. Tony's earlier version of "Sweet Georgia Brown" appears to have been unsuitable. It, along with a Beatles-backed "Swanee River" were recorded on that day in May. Whether the Beatles version is the one on the MGM album (the only extant version) is not known. Polydor's records indicate that there are no unreleased Beatles-backed tunes extant.

Now it really gets muddy. John Lennon told Hunter Davies (The Beatles biography) that the Beatles without Tony Sheridan recorded not merely "Ain't She Sweet" and the instrumental but three other songs as well, none of which were liked by the Deutsche Grammophon people. Tony Sheridan remembered "Rock and Roll Music," "Kansas City," and "Some Other Guy" as the unreleased tracks, the former of which John Lennon sang. Tony later recalled (1994) that along with "Sweet Georgia Brown," the April '62 session included "Skinny Minny" and "Swanee River." Both of those songs were released by Tony without the Beatles backing, as was another version of "Sweet Georgia Brown," and none of the mysterious unreleased Sheridan/Beatles tracks has ever been released, unless "Swanee River" (from May '62) is the version that is currently extant. Gottfridsson states his opinion that plans for the Beatles to record without Sheridan were scrapped since Brian Epstein had plans to audition the group for EMI.

Tony Sheridan was billed as the leader of the group because it would be Tony who stayed on to record albums for Polydor if the first single sold. "My Bonnie"/"The Saints" (Polydor NH 24-673) was billed as by "Tony Sheridan and the Beat Brothers." As Tony recalls it, Beat Brothers was used instead of Beatles because "Beatles" sounded a lot like the German slang word for penis, which was "peedles." (Remember John saying "Beatle peedles" on a Christmas record?) There were two versions of that first single, one (called the "rock" version) had the intro in German and the other (the "twist" version) had the slow intro in English. These were distinguished from one another both on the label and on the picture sleeve. The "twist" version of the song sold better, and very soon, "My Bonnie" found itself in the German Top Twenty, finally selling up to 180,000 copies in Germany. The single was held back until October, 1961 ("Rock"), and mid-January, 1962 ("Twist").

There is a WHOLE lot more there, but you can click the link for the rest.

Rick

"My Bonnie"/"The Saints"

That's the one that I had. :CUSSING: my parents for cleaning out my things. I also had a TV Guide collection (that was also gotten rid of) that included Nov 1963 edition that was dedicated to the assasination of President Kennedy.

Edited by moony3424

Hiwayman and Sudo, yes it's Please Don't Eat The Daisies that ran from 65-67. I can't recall too much but I remember the mother wasn't a June Cleaver. I may have enjoyed it for that reason I think.

Sudo, I loved Mash the movie and the television series both. I'll opt reruns of that over most anything else, well not West Wing, which I haven't watched once this new season.

Ala, you mean we're suppose to hang up if we have to go to the bathroom and we're talking to someone. :redface2:

Rick, have you gotten this Beatles thing out of your system yet? :wink2: And hubby said to tell you he'd never heard that version of My Bonnie before and thanks.

Moon Girl, that sucks! My grandmother (Father's side) gave away my bride doll, along with her wardrobe that my mother had made for her. It had been put in her attic with some other items of my families when we were moving from one house to another. She told my mother she didn't realize it was mine. She was evil! :evildenk:

Okay, back to Beatles stuff......

The mother in 'Daisies' was Pat Crowley, a talented comedic actress from several 50's films. She was really the only reason to watch the show, as the husband and kids were as dull a bunch as I can recall.

Doris Day played the role in the movie version, with David Niven , I think, and it's one of her better roles, in my opinion. The film is more sophisticated than the usual 50's fare, and holds up even today.

I love MASH the film and much of the tv series. It did 'jump the shark' when BJ grew a moustache, Charles replaced the insane Frank Burns, and Radar left. The last few years of the show were pretty weak, for the most part. Sometimes it's better to quit while you're ahead.

Hiwayman, I agree the mother Pat Crowley was the reason I think I watched it. She was quirky and not like a typical mom.

I agree on Mash getting weak toward the last years. But I enjoyed each new character as they came in. I just learned from Rick perhaps why Frank had left the show, I didn't realize he was sick and died. And Radar was just the best. Also the only actor to go from the movie to the series I think. Hmmm, am I correct on that, I'm not sure now.

Please Don't Eat The Daisies was based on an autobiography by the same name. If I remember right the name referred to an incident when they moved to a new house from an apartment and one of the kids started eating the daisies in the garden. (Then again, I may be remebering part of Erma Bombeck, who I was also reading around that same era.)

You have my admiration. Life is full enough without going to school on top of it. I hope you planned in some rest time with the kids while they're there. And I bet your honey wishes he were there to be a part of your weekend. How wonderful for you both when he comes to join you.

I'm so mentally tired I can't even think of simple words to say so I'm going to take a nice long hot bath and celebrate that I have the weekend before me.