Sudo

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sushi,

I think I know the show. The little boy had a common name but spelled it funny. And whatever happened to his momma? I don't think most mommas would let their sons speed around in high powered boats and heliocopters and such. Also, this was an example of that stilted animation in the 1960's that I hated. Even then, as a little kid, I could appreciate the difference.

sudo

The animation was indeed stilted, but the character and background designs by Alex Toth were superb.

I was never into the show, not caring for realistic adventure animation generally. Those in the animation industry tend to LOVE that show, for the design, and for the well written adventures. I understand what they mean, but it still doesn't hold my interest. I tend to prefer my cartoons in 6 minute doses anyway, or roughly the length of a Bugs Bunny or other theatrical short-back when they had tem that is.

See, cartoons come up and I'm already rambling.

i knew the cartoon...could picture it in my mind...but i couldn't come up with the name.

i used to watch it saturday mornings...but it came on more later in the morning... or even noon.

yes, it was definitely not your 'bugs bunny' type animation, but i thought it was very well done and it kept my attention

the character of Jonny (however it was spelt) reminded me of Tintin.

Would love to hear your take on Tintin Highway.

by the way, you're not rambling...cause you are informed. Rambling was LCM on a good day! The uninformed bafoon!

Y'all are good! JQCasta.jpg I watched it with my son sometimes.

Rick, thank you for playing my sister Josie's song.

SaintGeorge, yeah I just needed something light and I think everyone loved that show. :)

Ala, Your Bad Sneekers is a different version of the song than I have. What is it from please? And your second choice....premo!

I LOVE STEELY DAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(to hiwayman)

...by the way, you're not rambling...cause you are informed. Rambling was LCM on a good day! The uninformed bafoon!

I think he's more informed of worldly things these days ya know. :evilshades::wink2:

Edited by ChattyKathy

My take on Tin Tin? Maybe the greatest European comic strip ever.

The animated Tin Tin adventures were good, but something is lost in the translation. I didn't realize just how good Tin Tin really was until I read a compilation book.

I know Tin Tin has been animated a few times. The ones I remember were made back in the 60's, and I can't remember if they were made in Europe or not. I know there are more recent , (like within the last 20 years), but I haven't really seen them.

Rick;

You got yourself in a jam now not knowing or forgetting about Chat Kat's sister Josie :asdf::nono5:

Meanwhile back at the ranch. Moony and I still looking for our Fl.home.Thought we had one nailed down but after having inspection done it turned out to be a dud. :blink:

Edited by TED Ferrell

Ted,

So you guys are going to be living in sunny Florida, huh? You tired of the snow or something? Actually, I wish we had a little of the white stuff here like Cowgirl does. My kids are beginning to think we've been lying to them all this time about how we USED to get snow here in Memphis. Say.. how are you at cartoon themes? I have one that I knew Hiway29 would probably know but wasn't sure about anybody else..

OK, Hiway29... here's one you'll undoubtedly know right off... being in the bizness and all. But don't give it away!!!! One thing I am curious about is who does the voice of "Oh, joy!" in the clip? It sounds like Ed Wynn to me but its not.... Click HERE!

sudo

Hiway,

Interesting about Tin Tin. Growing up I attended french school and of course Tin Tin was one of the only french cartoons around.

I used to watch them once in awhile on Saturday morning and always loved it when I could. They were halarious.

Now, i'm very curious. What is it that made them in your opinion one of the greats. I'd love to know what it was that was so exceptional about this animation. I loved it as well...but didn't know why.

Sudo,

Couldn't open that link?

sudo-'oh joy'-is none other than good ol' Stan Freberg, who we talked about not long ago in here

a la- The context of my comments was that the Tin Tin comic strip was great-not the animation.

The animated cartoon version was good, but lmited , and as I said 'lost something' in the translation.

The Tin Tin strip was a thing of beauty-wodrful graphic artwork, imaginative ,interesting stories.

It's difficult to succesfully translate an artist's vision from paper to cartoon. The cartoon is good, but doesn't really capture the 'essence' of Tin Tin

This all sounds very pretentious about a dopey comic strip, doesn't it.

Sudo,

I didn't recognize it until the line "a Bob Clampett cartoon." It was a classic, of course. Humor that was completley lost on me back then (the No Bikini Atoll) gives me a chuckle today. As I recall, teh villain was named Dishonest John. The line "DJ, you dirty guy" got said a lot at my house, because my youngest brother was named DJ (Donald Joseph)!

George

Right now there are some chops coming off the grill.

Thanks Kathy. Like I really needed to hear that now. I brought home leftovers from work for dinner, as our weather has really been something today. :cryhug_1_: We had 15 inches of rain today (the wetest day in history since 1890) and I thought that I would have to spend the night at work, since not many were able to make it in. In fact, the national guard was called in (in one of the neighborhoods that we were house hunting last weekend) to help evacuate people through 4 feet of water.

Hey, you know, those chops sound good. I could use some "comfort food."

Rick;

You got yourself in a jam now not knowing or forgetting about Chat Kat's sister Josie :asdf::nono5:

Meanwhile back at the ranch. Moony and I still looking for our Fl.home.Thought we had one nailed down but after having inspection done it turned out to be a dud. :blink:

It'll be there, although the one you had sounded wonderful. Close to all the right places. You'll find better!

And the poor guy (Rick that is) having to put up with the likes of me. How well you know. :wink2:

(still catching up y'all)

Sudo, not knowing your link but going off of hiwayman's clue of Stan Freberg could this exchange have anything to do with that link?

Junyer Bear: Waaah! Now I've got no place to sleep, in which to sleep, in which to sleep!

Pa Bear: Well, can't you see it's half past November?

Thanks Kathy. Like I really needed to hear that now. I brought home leftovers from work for dinner, as our weather has really been something today. :cryhug_1_: We had 15 inches of rain today (the wetest day in history since 1890) and I thought that I would have to spend the night at work, since not many were able to make it in. In fact, the national guard was called in (in one of the neighborhoods that we were house hunting last weekend) to help evacuate people through 4 feet of water.

Hey, you know, those chops sound good. I could use some "comfort food."

Moon Girl, I do hope your weather has improved. We have rain now and snow is moving in (or so the weather men of this cul-de-sac say). The sun is trying to show its face now. I'd rather have snow than rain any day. :)

The chops were yummy!

here's the answer without clues Kathy

the show was originally called 'Rocky and His Friends', with a really neat opening song and animation.

The first year consisted of a Rocky and Bullwinkle adventure, Peabody and Sherman, Fractured Fairy Tales, and 'interstitials' such as Bullwinkle's Corner, and 'Mr Know it All'.In the first year, there was even a live action Bullwinkle puppet who would introduce the cartoons! Over the next couple of seasons, cartoons like Dudley Do Right, and Aesop's Fable would take the place of Peabody, and Fairy Tales.

The show moved to NBC and was retitled "the Bullwinkle Show', tossing poor Rocky out of the title of his own show. The opening animation axed the cool theme song and just had Bullwinkle high kick dancing under stage lights. The theme you played was the Bullwinkle theme.

Otherwise the show was essentially the same, mixing in new cartoons with repeats from the previous years.

That was a fine Stan Freberg guess by the way, but the clip in question was from Beany and Cecil, as has already been pointed out. Stan was the voice of Dishonest John.

Kathy,

It just moved from network to another.. click HERE! To tell you the truth.. I didn't really appreciate it as a kid. I watched it but thought it was a little strange. But in about 1985 a local UHF channel here in Memphis started showing the re-runs in the late afternoon. They followed the Andy Griffith Show which I watched religiously so one day.. since I was in front of the boob tube anyways.. I caught Rocky & Bullwinkle. I probably hadn't seen an episode since I was a child and was shocked at how GOOD it was! All the cold war satire that had been going over my head!

I was hooked and watched every episode the station had... and I'm pretty sure they didn't have them all.. because they started repeating episodes before having showed them all. Hiway29 and I were talking about stilted animation but this was a cartoon where the stilted animation actually made it BETTER, IMO!! If folks want realism, they can watch Disney but Fearless Leader is much more effective when caricatured. Just my opinion again. Can you guys tell I love that show? It hasn't shown on Memphis TV for years now :( .

sudo

Hiwayman,

Very cool stuff, thanks! I'd not remembered and must not have watched it enough to know that it was the same pretty much. I do remember him dancing with top hat on perhaps in the opening. :unsure:

Some of those older cartoons though that had the 'in and out' soundtracks and 'jumpy visuals' were for me the better ones. Or maybe it was just my age and what I saw that made me favor them. I think we talked about this before here but my mind is unable to locate that folder right now. :blink:

Sudo,

I agree, as a young person I couldn't understand the satire. But then I didn't grasp the full understanding of Snoopy and the Red Baron either so it's cool when you see something again and view it from a different perspective. That is one of life's interesting things IMHO. :)

It's just flat out ugly! Snow to come in maybe and then it will get pretty.