Sudo

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kathy,

Yes it was... Sleeping Beauty. Do you remember whether or not you ever saw it? That could be why it seemed so un-familiar. But wouldja like a bonus question?? Yes, you say?? OK.. since you insist. The main theme of Disney's Sleeping Beauty was taken from a famous classical composer's work. Click HERE! to listen to an excerpt from it. Name the composer OR name the famous opera it is taken from. The 2nd part ought not be too difficult. Hee-hee!

I should be ashamed of myself :( . But I'm not :P. Most folks here are not into classical. But I'll give you a hint. The composer is Russian. NOW it all ties together with my Russian tunes posts, huh?? But he doesn't sound Russian, you might say. And I'd have to say.. yep. I agree. Because I'm just an agreeable sort no doubt.

sudo-the agreeable

The composer wrote that while on a break from cracking nuts.

There were 2 times at the movies when I was genuinely frightened before I was 7 years old. Once was when the dude in Sleeping Beauty, cut through the thorns and faced the dragon. The other, (which REALLY flipped me out) was the death coach in 'Darby O'Gill and the Little People', a film that is still terrific.

Kathy,

Yes it was... Sleeping Beauty. Do you remember whether or not you ever saw it? That could be why it seemed so un-familiar. But wouldja like a bonus question?? Yes, you say?? OK.. since you insist. The main theme of Disney's Sleeping Beauty was taken from a famous classical composer's work. Click <a href=http://mail.bluzecentral.net/~sudo/abq.mp3><font color=red>HERE!</font></a> to listen to an excerpt from it. Name the composer <B>OR</B> name the famous opera it is taken from. The 2nd part ought not be too difficult. Hee-hee!

I should be ashamed of myself :( . But I'm not :P. Most folks here are not into classical. But I'll give you a hint. The composer is Russian. NOW it all ties together with my Russian tunes posts, huh?? But he doesn't <B><I>sound</I></B> Russian, you might say. And I'd have to say.. yep. I agree. Because I'm just an agreeable sort no doubt.

<center>sudo-the agreeable</center>

I suspect Moon Girl has it. :)

This is the movie you're talking about right?DS37.jpgIt looks familiar.

And I agree that you're an agreeable sort. B)

Gosh, I should have converted those links in your quote. :mellow:

"I've paid money to feel like what you just described. Had to come back again and add this: I'm talking to Ala right now on instant message. She's away for the moment, but she just said what do you mean you paid money to feel like.... ....shall I tell her..... "

Kathy... are we talking... MIND EXPANDING SUBSTANCES!! :o

No wonder I didn't catch on... I'm as pure as the driven snow... :rolleyes: (where's that halo smiley when you need one <_< )

Ok...got the Sleeping Beauty and Tchaikovsky too... live with one of those classical heads you know. It's gotta rub off a little after 22 yrs. :huh:

Hey I didn't get a chance to blither about my weekend... I as you might know, was in Montréal over the weekend to visit my daughter at university and attend a Wynton Marsalis concert. We had second row-centre seats.

To say the least ... it was freaken' unbelievable. I'm am not a trained musician who is able to appreciate all he did on stage with this incredible 5 piece band...but it was mind bogglin. :blink: :blink: :blink:

What musicianship, what finess, what ability, control, respect, and pure love of the music. It wasn't about him...that's what I loved... there was no ego involved...the music is why they are there... to give it it's due.

His drummer... oh my oh my oh my... his sax player, say no more, his bassist...well.. hubby was in tears, and the piano player... well... the nerdiest little guy, who looked maybe 24 years old... but his fingers.. his fingers could play those keys.

It was a honour and privilege to attend such an event.

After the concert, there was a line-up at the entrance of the green room. Wynton was not able to see people, because he had a group of students that he was meeting with afterwards. He is an educator of music #1 I believe. He wants to promote music, expose young people to it and broaden their perspectives. I felt I was musically enriched by this experience.

OK... in less than 2 weeks.. i'm off to Vancouver to see... Amos Lee... yes.. I the GRAND PRIZE WINNER!!! (insert smiley face with sticking out tongue...my post has come up with... get this... "You have posted a message with more emoticons that this board allows. Please reduce the number of emoticons you've added to the message" message. HAHAHAHA!!! so you have to just imagine the smiley face... since I can't add anymore!

Now, since finding out that I had won this trip and I have researched this little lad. His album was produced by Norah Jones' bass player... Norah Jones, her guitarist and her bass player all play with Amos on his album... No wonder I was telling everyone he was a male version of a Norah Jones.. duh... :huh:

Sudo,

Keep up the guessing game.. I'm getting the hang of it (I think)... if only I could figure out how to post links and pics like everyone else around here... OH MY :o That would probably NOT be a good thing... I'd never leave this place... it would be one music madness marathon for me.

OK... I'll leave you guys and gals with one little trivia question:

Who is Norah Jones' and her Handsome Bands' all time favourite band? :P

Edited by A la prochaine

This is fun..

Classical music.. and great Disney movies from back when Disney did only 'G' rated family films. Yep.. the classical composer was Piotr Tchaikovsky. A truely great musical talent. He could produce ethereal, magical music like the Nutcracker or stirring military magesty like the 1812 Overture. The Sleeping Beauty is haunting and will stay with me till the end of my days, I'm sure.

It just so happens I had another tune on my hard drive that I think you guys might like. Just click HERE! If you don't know it right off, let me say I understand.. this very famous actor never sang in any other of his many movies that I know of. And no one would label him a great singer in THIS movie.

sudo

P.S. Ala.. it's not tough at all to post stuff. Just ask Kathy. Up until a few months ago she posted only pics. Now she knows how to download tunes, upload them to a server and then link to them. She just doesn't DO it that often <_ .... :d>

This is fun..

Classical music.. and great Disney movies from back when Disney did only 'G' rated family films. Yep.. the classical composer was Piotr Tchaikovsky. A truely great musical talent. He could produce ethereal, magical music like the Nutcracker or stirring military magesty like the 1812 Overture. The Sleeping Beauty is haunting and will stay with me till the end of my days, I'm sure.

I'll have to wait until I get home from work to listen Sudo.

When talking about classical music & Disney, don't forget Peter and the Wolf!! Now, that's a classic! B)

Hiway29,

Thanks for not giving it away but then.. I think you figured I posted this one for you, huh? Too bad you're way over there on the West coast because we would have a lot to talk about at next year's weenie roast. Looks like it's going to be in Kentucky again next year.

Ala.. this is from another Disney film made in the 50's. But it isn't a very well known movie so it's quite likely no one other than Hiway29 knows it. So here to help is a pic of the two stars taken "backstage". You probably won't recognize the "pretty Irish girl". You can't see her red hair in the B&W photo and she died quite unexpectedly at age 38 in 1972 from ischemic heart disease following a heart attack. So her name isn't well known.

galpic.jpg

sudo

P.S Mooney... you've seen the Disney version of Peter and the Wolf?? I never have but understand it is really good.

That's Janet Munro, who was also in Swiss Family Robinson among others.

I've never thought of the film in question as being that unknown but maybe it is. If you've never seen it, it's one heck of a good movie to rent.

One of these years I gotta make it to a weenie roast!!

Hey,

OH MY ... that's who was singing? OH MY OH MY....I detected an accent (didn't know it was scottish...thought it was irish...and thought the singer was just putting it on).

Gee.... That's what Andy was talking about..when he mentioned a movie that was only mentioned a couple days ago... he was talking about Search For Red October.

Hey...Sudo...perhaps we could have a 'Nostalgia' weenie roast some year... all 6 of us (hee hee) get together and play 'name that tune' around the campfire...whadda' think? And Sudo can entertain us with his incredible table top dancing routines he's so famous for.

OK.. unless I google those two names... I still haven't a clue what movie this was.

I think it was before my time... I'm sooooooooo much younger than you guys you know ; )

Hey,

Hey...Sudo...perhaps we could have a 'Nostalgia' weenie roast some year... all 6 of us (hee hee) get together and play 'name that tune' around the campfire...whadda' think? And Sudo can entertain us with his incredible table top dancing routines he's so famous for.

Sounds like fun. Are spouses (and spouses to be B)) invited too?

Moony,

A Nostalgia get-together-weenie-roast for spouses, too?? Sounds like that would work to me. Of course, we would have to ask Ala.. she's the one putting it on. I sure hope she has room at her house for all of us. Now *I* don't mind sleeping on the couch but Carol likes a fluffy bed with her comforter. And I do have to admit.. she's awfully warm to sleep next to.. especially since she's, uh, put on a little weight. Hee-hee! I lost all those pounds nearly three years ago and she jokes that she GOT them. :lol:.

Hiway29.. Do you figure he was wearing a toupeé even back then?? And just in case the song in question has been lost in the shuffle... click HERE! I'm gonna' have myself a football Saturday in front of the TV tomorrow for a change. We've been going down to Oxford for the Ole Miss home games but they're playing Auburn (and a 20 point underdog to boot) at Auburn tomorrow so I'll be home for a change. Which means I'll be able to pop in here all day long to see what's going on. I've got another fun tune to post but I'm ready to let someone post one and let ME guess for a change.

sudo

Andy,

You said:

"I don't want to give it away, but that song is from a movie that has been mentioned in recent days here.

A movie that I really, really like, and still get goosebumps whenever I hear that theme, which is used throughout the movie."

OH OH.. dislexia hits again...

I thought you were saying.. That the ACTOR was from a MOVIE that was mentioned here a few days ago.. but you were referring to the SONG! Duh :huh:

OK...

The actor is Sean Connery (thus my reference to Search For Red October) ... now you're all getting a glimpse of how this mind works ... :huh: but what the movie is...

Still don't have a clue.

Sudo,

I have a VERY VERY small house... people would be on the floor and if you wanted.. I could open up the tent-trailer in the driveway and some could camp out there... (not fun.. trust me!)

:D

Edited by A la prochaine

We've been going down to Oxford for the Ole Miss home games but they're playing Auburn (and a 20 point underdog to boot) at Auburn tomorrow so I'll be home for a change. <center>sudo</center>

Auburn hah? Don't care much for them. Roll Tide. :rolleyes:

Is the movie Darby O'Gill and the Little People. Sean Connery gave it away. Thank you ala.

Edited by moony3424

The movie is indeed 'Darby O'Gill and the Little People', and a fine film it is. I was blown away with it as a kid, and used to wonder if I would still like it as an adult. Let's face it, when you're 7 years old, your taste in entertainment is not all that discriminating.

I watched it again a couple of years ago, and was amazed at how entertaining it still was, and that it still holds up. It has all the 'magic' of a Disney film, yet is free of the 'cuteness, or 'childishness' for want of a better word, of alot of the later Disney live action films.

I don't know if Connery is wearing a toupee or not, but it wouldn't surprise me. I know he did for the James Bond films a few years later. I guess I aways assume Connery and William Shatner are sporting a piece, even in their younger days.