GreaseSpot Cafe

Oxygen saturated water- To your Health

David Anderson

For the record, I like finge ideas, they are intersting and sometimes educational. I can't say they are science and I can't always say they are totally false. This is one reason I like +/-ODD. He generally has very intersting well thought out (or not) ideas that in some deep way make some sense on some level.

I think many people here treat him well inspite of their differnces in opinion. But here is the diffence. Of your 100 posts, David, your second one was rather insulting and negative. Since then you have reacted in a similar way to any and all disagreement. Thus your 22 pages of not so flatering responses.

Just a tip.

free of charge

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:
And if you're a journalist like RAF, why you could even bleed pure oxygen into the inverted glass and see what happens to the ant when you place the glass over him. Naw, he won't do that because it might take a little work. He'll just report that the ant burped!

This stupid experiment has nothing to do with Penta Water or the manner in which you claim it works, which, by the way, it doesn't.

quote:
Saturday, 07 February 2004 10:05

The Times · http://www.the-times.co.uk

THESE CLAIMS ARE BOTTLED NONSENSE, SAY SCIENTISTS

There is one human organ that will feel noticeably different if you switch from regular water to the Penta variety. It is known as the wallet.

The health claims that are made for the bottled water are just as absurd as its price, according to experts on the structure of water and its absorption by the human body.

Nutritionists, physicists and chemists dispute its supposed benefits, which rest on a fundamental misunderstanding of how water molecules enter cells. Penta’s manufacturers say that their patented “physics process” transforms the nutritional properties of water, by reducing the size of the clusters in which its molecules come. Ordinary water, they claim, contains large clusters of molecules, many of which are too big to fit through tiny channels called aquaporins that allow water into a cell.

Nutritionists say it's bunk.

Physicists say it's bunk.

Chemists say it's bunk.

We've already seen that medical doctors say it's bunk.

And this engineer comes along and accuses others of being uninterested in evidence?

Bunk.

Edited by Raf

• 2 weeks later...

My, my, what was it about my last post that caused the jerks to come out in full force? Was it the fact that I dared to quote scripture? Or maybe they figured I was calling them sluggards. Or maybe ants and oxygenated water are far to insignificant to talk about on this forum of unbelievers, no-names, and know-it-alls. It seems the decent folks are in the minority here, as in the rest of the world. And some wonder why I don't start or post to other threads, as if that's the unforgivable sin.

Actually, the Apostle Paul talks about those who are dead in their trespasses and sins, without God and without hope in the world- which I presume is more insulting than merely saying there are some jerks around. Fact is that dead people really stink up the place and there appear to be more than a few on this site. They want to define the limits of the site and who can say what and where. But dead people never defined a thing for me, nor are they any threat to the living if properly burried or burned. Letting them lay around fermenting is a shame.

So lest they think they ever have the last word on anything, a few more comments on the subject of oxygenated water for those who are not dead and actually have an interest in the subject- in spite of the stink allowed by a presumption that the unbeliever has an equal voice on this site. Bad presumption in my view but I can live with it.

A friend of mine named Linda has not been in good health for a long time, starting maybe twenty years ago with a botched surgery on her eyes. She's been on beta blockers for a long time, had carotid artery surgery a few years ago, and the past year has suffered from frozen shoulder. Five or six months ago she started drinking the water I give to her and as a consequence does not feel faint headed and about ready to collapse when she gets out of bed in the morning or up from a chair during the day. At least not near as often. When it gets really bad she loses sight in half of one eye and knows she is close to having to be admitted to the hospital- at least that is what happened prior to her carotid atery surgery. She hasn't had that happen since starting to drink the water, and she drinks about three pounds a day of it, which is what the text books say is the normal needs of the body for water.

The dead people around here will start cherping about the need for double blind studies but I could care less about that, or if they ever drink a drop of oxygenated water. I do care greatly about my friend Linda and am happy to report her findings.

Some time ago I mentioned adding aetone to gasoline as a similar case of what a relatively large effect the addition of a pinch of this or that can have. Since it was only something I had read about and not yet tried out myself, I didn't say more about it. But since then I've gone through eight tankfuls of gasoline with various amounts of acetone added (1-3 oz. per 10 gallons of gasoline) and in my old Eagle Summit, with 100,000 miles on it, the results so far are an average of 10% better gas milage than I ever got before. Two of those tankfuls averaged almost 20% better milage. Turns out there was a patent issued on a similar mixture back in 1934 and so it is not new, just not generally known- for the same reasons oxygenated water, while not new, is also not generally known as to the mechanism of action. It seems there are too many dead people around spreading fear, insult and disease, even about something so harmless as adding acetone to gasoline or oxygen to water- not to mention oil companies not telling anyone exactly what is in their gasolines or bottled water companies not telling what's in their water.

But the site I listed the link to cautions that adding too much acetone can lower gas milage and so finding the optimum gasoline to use and the optimum amount of acetone to add to it takes some effort- probably more than making your own oxygenated water.

In the case of acetone added to gasoline, acetone by the gallon costs about $12, or 10 cents per ounce, (or 1 penny per gallon of gasoline in my case- which saves me 20 cents per gallon in less fuel usage when gasoline is $2 a gallon or over). That's not as good as the possible 40% increase in milage mentioned on the site referred to, but it sure beats zero.

It's not a subject I want to discuss in any detail on this site, and how many people read this site that want to actually try it out on their car I don't know. But I do know that what works is real, regardless of the nay-sayers and wannabe experts, and their wanting me to spend my money to prove to them something that they have no interest in to begin with.

The fact remains that the immune system works best at a partial oxygen pressure of 50-80 mm Hg and hemoglobin can only get it to 39 mm Hg at best. Ants and other insects have no lungs and yet get their oxygen requirements met with absorption through the skin and/or the water they drink. If that doesn't shut up the folks who harp on hemoglobin being the be-all and end-all of oxygen delivery, I don't know what will. They'll just continue to stink up the place with their nonsense.

Best wishes to all who are living.

Oh, because we disagree with an ( * ) we're dead, we're stinking up the place, we are worse than slime, and the (*) equates himself with the apostle Paul.

I reiterate Oakspear's point: certain poster(s) certainly do resemble parts of male anatomy.

Just let it die, David! The horse has been beaten to death and it's now putrid smelling and covered with maggots.

You made your point. Please move on to the benefits of smoking pot for medicinal purposes or something else more exciting.

quote:
My, my, what was it about my last post that caused the jerks to come out in full force?

My my, what was it about this thread finally getting the peaceful death it deserved that caused an arrogant twit to come back with full dunderheaded irrelevance?

I'm as glad as the next guy that David's friend Linda is feeling better. If the water works for her, hooray! Even if she drinks the water and it doesn't have anything to do with her recovery: also hooray!

Would I call for a double blind study to see if Linda is REALLY feeling better? Of course not. Would I need a double blind study to try it myself? No, I wouldn't.

But I'd sure as heck want them to be done, and the water's effectiveness PROVEN, if I was going recommend it to someone else AS A CURE FOR ANYTHING.

The placebo effect is real. Confirmation bias is real. That's why double blind studies are done that include control groups: to avoid the either anyone doing anything that could give a false result, or influencing the results.

Drinking oxygenated water with the intent to cure something or alleviate a condition, with the preconceived notion that it will work, and fuzzy notions of what defines success, leaves us with...not much.

What if drinking regular water yielded the same results?

quote:
Ordinary water, they claim, contains large clusters of molecules

Just a little point- ALL water contains large clusters of molecules. Its called hydrogen bonding. If you add something that mixes with water, such as ethanol (burbon or scotch), the mixture STILL consists of large molecules, as the water bonds to the alcohol nearly as readily as it does to other water molecules.

The forces between the molecules from hydrogen bonding is what keeps the molecules in close proximity (liquid form) at room temperature.

If dissolving oxygen in the water breaks it up into smaller units, there would logically be less bonding between the water molecules, as a whole.

The whole point- if adding oxygen does what they claim, the water would no longer act like water.

Krys, I was just at a medical conference last where hyperbaric O2 therapy was praised highly for the treatment of hard-to-heal wounds. The speaker was a bonafide MD, not an "alternative medicine" proponent. I've heard about this treatment at other conferences and have read a little bit about it in the medical literature.

Somewhere I have an old postcard of a huge hyperbaric O2 chamber that used to be in Cleveland, shaped like a big silver dome. I think I once asked Dave Anderson if it was still here, but I can't remember what he said. Maybe I need a treatment!!

And surely you don't expect anyone to actually read the article before putting it down, do you? angelkit.gif

quote:
Somewhere I have an old postcard of a huge hyperbaric O2 chamber that used to be in Cleveland, shaped like a big silver dome. I think I once asked Dave Anderson if it was still here, but I can't remember what he said. Maybe I need a treatment!!

Hello Linda, glad to see you're still following this thread. You may be one of the few that have posted here that does not need hyperbaric treatment! Many posting here appear to have no oxygen going to their brain at all. (and the brain in a normal human being consumes about 20% of the body's oxygen- no wonder insects are not known for their brilliance, they have enough oxygen supplied through the skin to get by but not enough to do such brain intensive things as read, think and ponder, let alone have anything of substance to say as a result of their mental activities.)

To answer your question, the hyperbaric hospital was built at 18485 Lake Shore Boulevard, eight miles east of downtown Cleveland on 13 acres or lakefront property. It was finished in December of 1928. But for the stock market crash of 1929 and consequent depression, it might have still been in operation today.

The money to build it was furnished by Henry H. Timken, of Timkin Bearing fame, who's life Dr. Orval J. Cunningham had saved from uremic poisoning in his hyperbaric chamber in Kansas City, MO. four years earlier. Since he knew he was not dead, and would have been without "The Tank" and it's doctor in Kansas City, he offered Dr. Cunningham an equal partnership in the world's largest pressure tank, for which he would put up a million dollars and his companies expertese in Canton, Ohio to build.

It was a 64 foot diameter steel tank with five stories and 350 ten inch portholes to let light in and to be able to see out of. The ground floor was a dining area and the top floor a gaming room for the rich and famous. The middle three floors contained a total of 36 double bedrooms, each with a private bath (hmmm, they could bathe in oxygen enriched water!) The entire hospital was air conditioned so that the temperature was 68-70 degrees and 65-68 percent relative humidity.

Along with the spherical hospital was two tanks like Dr. Cunningham had built in Kansas City, a luxury hotel, a residence for Dr. Cunningham, and a building to house the huge air compressors and other equipment that supported the hospital. Like all hyperbaric chambers before it, it used only compressed air rather than 100% oxygen, since the building of facilities to make the latter was still in it's infancy and therefore the cost was prohibative.

The normal treatment was a week in the hospital, at a pressure of 3 ATA (about 30 psig), and a week in the hotel, for as long as the symptoms dictated, both places decked out to the nines so the rich and famous would feel like they were in their own homes.

Without going into detail about Dr. Cunningham's detractors, they were like some of the posts on this thread. They start with a flawed premise, embellish it with disinformation and hatred, accuse of not being properly tested and sanctioned by the AMA and ignore the thousands of patients each year that had benifited from the treatment- from the time Dr. Cunningham had built his first chamber in 1918.

Going back two hundred fifty years before Cunningham, a guy named Henshaw in England built the first hyperbaric chamber (in 1662), more than a hundred years before oxygen was discovered by Priestly in 1771. By the middle of the 19th century there were scores of pneumatic chambers in Europe, from Stockholm to Paris, from London to Berlin- with medical reports and research to go with them. Without these there wouild have been no submarines in the Civil War and no Broklyn Bridge in 1879. The building of that bridge brought out the serious problem of Caisson Disease, now known as The Bends, which was not a problem of the therapy but rather a problem of the rate of decompression after the therapy. It was the same problem that turned the popularity of hyperbaric chambers in Europe into disrepute since they didn't know what the bends was and therefore didn't control the rate of decompression. Fortunately for Dr. Cunningham, he had access to the medical reports from the time hyperbaric chambers were popular in Europe and so knew about decompression sickness and compensated for it.

When the East River Tunnels for the Pensylvania Railroad were built in 1909, there were 3,692 cases of decompression sickness reported from the building of them, 20 of which were fatal. Evidently many of the workers were in a hurry to get home after work and so cheated on decompression time.

With all this "ancient" information, why is it that at the Greasespot Cafe in 2005 there are those who still want someone else to spend money on double blind studies and get published in AMA certified medical journals?

By the way, thanks Krys for the link. Just the mention of 30,000 research papers already published on the subject should be enough to keep the nay-sayers busy for a long time- not that they will read any of them! I spent some two hours just going over the titles of the recommended reading list given there by Dr. Cranton. Anybody that wants to purchase any of these and send them to me is welcome to do so. My address is P.O. Box 17, Novelty, Ohio 44072. I'll do my best to report back what I learned (and Belle can continue to post about it being a boring subject since no one can stop her from doing so.)

But regarding the Cleveland Sanitorium, it changed ownership in 1934 and was bought for a half million dollars. But the new owner could not make the payments and so Mr. Timken took it back and gave it to the Cahtolic Youth Organization. They sold it for scrap in 1942, supposedly for the "war effort"- price $25,000. And if you believe Cleveland ever had a shortage of iron ore or the blast furnaces to make steel from it, I'll sell you some ocean front property in Arizona- "war effort" indeed!

Actually, the fellow who bought the hospital, and changed it's name to The Ohio Institute of Oxygen Therapy in 1934, was the son of the Remmington Rand president, and as a kid went through his mother dying as a consequence of flying in an airplane in spite of Dr. Cunningham's protestations. She had suffered from high blood pressure in her thirties and when her husband heard of "The Tank" in Kansas City, took her there for treatment. With her blood pressure lowered by the therapy she'd return home and go back when it again rose to life threatening levels.

During one of these visits her husband flew out in an airplane he'd bought from Henry Ford and she couldn't wait to fly in her new present. Dr. Cunningham strongly advised against it, pointing out that in essence she was decending to an elevation of 5 miles below sea level in his chamber to get enough oxygen to lower her high blood pressure (the Tank was set at 20 psig) and now she wanted to immediately do the opposite and fly in an airplane. But she couldn't resist and never made it home. She died on a train after the airplane landed in Lima, Ohio.

So her husband sent the 14 year old son to study as an apprentice with Dr. Cunningham. He later became an expert in hyperbaric therapy and was named Cleveland's Man of the Year in 1949 for his invention of shock therapy for cardiac arrest. The father also funded his alma mater, Harvard, with $100,000 to study hyperbaric therapy.

And this all was before the second half of the twentieth century even began. So much for hyperbaric therapy and oxygenated water being "new".

quote:
This is a nice fairy tale posted, along with a few out and out lies (like blood can only carry oxygen if it is attached to hemoglobin), by The Song Remains The Same. Judging from all his other posts on this thread one is led to conclude that his pen name should be The Noise Remains The Same. One can't even tell from his last post what words are his and what words are quoted from someone else. At one point I thought he might actually be a high school chemistry teacher, but his public profile says he's a Master Carpenter- looks like part of a demolition crew to me!

hahahahah

nice one

Cheers to you DA~~~

I am a master carpenter

~~~ make no bones about that!!!

~~~ demolition to the fine points of Square Level Plumb and all inbetween a master carpenters skill ~~~

But , I freeze a gallon distilled h2o the night before and let it melt my use for the day after the night before and proceeding ongoing activities~~~

( * )

1. The previous post mentions NOTHING AT ALL about oxygenated water until your closing comment.

quote:
Many posting here appear to have no oxygen going to their brain at all.
A major case of the pot calling the kettle black. If it weren't for comments like these, many posters would have much less problem with your pompousness and arrogance.

quote:
They start with a flawed premise, embellish it with disinformation and hatred
I see much more of that coming from you than from anyone else. Again, pot and kettle.

I repeat, ( * ).

Well said Steve!

I just noticed the color scheme of your big (*) - very nice

Seems to me that if oxy water's benefits are for real, then a double blind study could only CONFIRM the claims of it's proponents.

By the way, I'm drinking a glass of Leinenkugel Oktoberfest, and I feel much better than I did before I started drinking it. In fact, I just noticed that the sprained wrist that I suffered after tipping over a picnic table the other night is healed. It must be the Leinie's.

By the way, ( * ), I don't see anyone disputing the therapeutic value of hyperbaric chambers.

You are incorporating fallacious logic by trying to say that since hyperbaric chambers and oxygenated water both make use of pressurized oxygen, they are co-equal in benefits.

That's like saying that iron dietary supplements and cars both make use of iron, so you might as well eat a car. That would pretty much be a moronic statement, wouldn't you agree?

Cigarettes...are an excellent way to prevent ulcers. They also reduce the risk of Parkinson's disease, relieve schizophrenia, boost your brain cells, speed up your thinking, improve your reactions and increase your working efficiency.

And all those warnings about lung cancer? Nonesense!

...cigarettes are a kind of miracle drug: solving your health problems, helping your lifestyle...

"Smoking removes your troubles and worries", says a 37-year-old female magazine editor. "Holding a cigarette is like having a walking stick in your hand, giving you support. Quitting smoking would bring you misery, shortening your life."

The number of smokers...is growing by 3 million annually.

Quoted from The New York Times, June 19, 2005

Cigarettes actually DO help control some chronic bowel ailments, and they DO help control sypmtoms of Parkinson's, and a couple of those other things.

There's no way I would ever take up smoking, even if I *did* suffer from all of those ailments. The cure is worse than the disease, in my opinion.

Oh, but one thing you've got to keep in mind - when you inhale cigarette smoke, you inhale more deeply than you normally would when breathing, thereby taking in more oxygen. So for this reason alone david anderson should start smoking.