GreaseSpot Cafe

Death for Scott Peterson

Shellon

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We seem to be slowly moving in the direction to which all ofEurope has moved... No death penalty. And I can understand the arguments. The death penalty is so uncivilized. Possibly unfairly applied to minorities and poor folks. But my personal favorite is that its been used against innocent persons.

Until its struck down, though.. I say fry scum like Scott. And yeah.. so it'll take many years of appeals. That's all the better. Let him sweat it out every day in prison knowing the needle in the arm is coming...

sudo

The death penalty......I am conflicted about it in many ways.

As for Scott Peterson, death row in San Quentin will allow him a bird's eye view of the bay....the very place he left his wife and unborn child to rot and be washed ashore as trash.

It is a fitting sentence.

ror

It will take at least ten years to get through the Supreme court . Then any other additional court hearings and appeals will start.

I heard on the news California has had the death penalty since 1978, in which 10 have been put to death with 678 ( nearly 700) still pending .

so he may just die in prison.

He is a very expensive prisoner as he has to have special guards and holdings due to the fact he killed a woman and a child . Prisoners do not like those who kill children and woman image that in the noble crowd he is considered very high risk and will be kept seperate. They think the fact he was sentenced to death is the only reason he can survive the system, as the regular population will murder him in a life sentence. His lawyer calls it an asset on the news tonite.

Two questions:

1. Are Lacy and Connor going to be any less dead when Scott is executed?

2. Is Scott going to be in a position to continue to murder from inside San Quentin?

And a corrollary question:

a. Is Scott in less danger from within a solitary confinement death row cell or within the general prison population (in a maximum security setup)? (by danger I mean not only from death/ maiming/ serious, repeated injury, but also from becoming fill in the blank with your favorite prisoner's name girlfriend)

He sure was smart in keeping it as long as he did, providing Peterson did this thing. I am pretty well convinced he did this murder. Hard to figure the body would wash up on shore where he had been fishing 90 miles from where they lived.

So death is the decision. Funny thing was, he was offered life if he confessed. I hope they speed the appeals and have no delays unless their is new evidence he did not do it. But that is doubtful.

I feel horribly bad for his parents, though, especially his mother. Before he was charged, I didn't see her on oxygen. Afterward, she was on oxygen. I couldn't bear to see the grief on her face. It was the same grief that Laci's mother and father had.

What Scott has not only done to Laci, he did almost as bad to Laci's parents and relatives, and even his own parents, especially his mother, who may have to watch him die. I don't think she can handle it.

The judge does not have to uphold the death penalty sentence. I believe he can revise it to life without parole.

Whether it's life in prison, or death, I just can't imagine how his parents get through the days. I think I would question myself the rest of my life wondering where I went wrong in raising him, although I don't think they have any fault at all.

quote:
where is the right in taking a life? The apostle paul was a christian killer and he didn't get death

Good point -- but Jesus was the "judge and jury" in that particular case. I hear what you are saying Berry, and I have mixed emotions about it too, though I do think the correct sentence was handed down.

What right does anyone have to force society to foot the bill of keeping condemned murders alive?

I understand Turkish prisons don't feed their inmates, its up to friends and family of the inmate to bring them food. They also have a system of state sanctioned prostitution where the inmates wife or sisters can pay off their fines and bills. Now while I oppose the later it does make one wonder how many would be willing to take care of the condemned to keep them alive.

Charles Manson has been housed and fed for over 40 years and I ask why?? No admittance and no remorse. Even my retarded brother knows when he has done wrong.

The difference here is intent. With Peterson, would someone be next when she is no longer convenient???

I just read of a woman who killed her husband many years ago by slowly poisoning him. Recently her boyfriend died of the same symptoms. When coroner determined cause, they reopened her husbands death records. She has now been convicted of the boyfriend's murder.

I have no problem with the death sentence for premeditation. Peterson was just stupid to admit he was at the Bay.

quote:
Originally posted by Shellon:

Our system generally doesn't work, but is given the 'right' anyway.

Ummm, no, our system *generally* DOES work. There are miscarriages of justice, occasionally egregious, but in general, the system does exactly what it's supposed to do.

I have to say I am miffed about the"death sentence". In California they never get around to carrying it out. And every day that freak breaths is another day that Laci and Conner never get the chance to.

And what kind of monster kills his own baby? his own flesh and blood? I just don't get it.

Maybe I just think like a Texan. A death sentence here mean just that. icon_mad.gif

My faith in the judicial system has been restored and I'm rather surprised that they were able to find a jury in CA who would and could do the right thing.

Now...if only they had had the trial in TX or some other state where they REALLY carry out a death sentence.

I believe in the death penalty only for the really heinous(sp?) crimes, and this is borderline in my mind! Really! Serial rapists, serial killers, those whos crimes affect many people...+ a few others.

BUT in this case, I would vote for it because of some of the things mentioned on this thread. Why should my taxes keep such a person warm, dry, fed and with medical care? Tha's what fries my liver about "lifers".In addition they are allowed family visits, phone calls and commisary privilges. How absurd that is!

I wish we could exile them all to a place where they would have to fend for themselves among each other where they are away from the society they harmed.

yes Krysilis that is a problem sometimes drug runners and dealers run the community to the point they also run the prison. "Home vists" relative and friends come a couple times a week and "co-workers make a few years not so bad considering the money and power they get from the business.

so we have come up with a solution of sorts in my city.

It is called project Excile and may be in other communities.

IT works!!!!! When a gun and drugs is involved in a crime we EXCILE those convicted to another far away state without the resources of family and friends helping them out while they do their prison time. Long distance communication is difficult, no vists from friends or family.

Drug dealers and thugs need a constant presence in the community to thrive as the top dogs. This project cuts the communication and family lines to the point they may have to stop the flow of commerence and love ya know?

Because the state has more expense and concern for those convicted of murder I doubt the states will add this crime to the project .