GreaseSpot Cafe

Giving Money to Strangers

Nottawayfer

We put ten percent aside into a separate bank account. We do not send any of it routinely to any purpose, but only when moved to do so. Sometimes to friends in need, or sometimes ?

For a few years we purchased KJV Bibles by the case and stocked library shelves and waiting rooms with them.

On a few occasions when I have seen beggars, I have helped sometimes. Obviously stateside, I have done it far less often then while living overseas.

The last time, it was a broken down van on a freeway offramp, they had a flat tire did not have a spare and insisted that after fixing the old tire they would not have enough gas-money to get home. (this occured in Connecticut, their license plates were Maine). I emptied my wallet for them and offered to feed the couple dinner in my home.

Very seldom on occasion I see a daughter of Job, or a brother of Hiram in need; I assist in what methods I am able.

OM, Now why would you say their parents are fat? I think I've gone through this before about why some poor people might have a weight problem. There are many different reasons....I've also seen people that live nice be over weight. Should I then say that all people that have money are fat?

I feel that this phrase of yours that you have used is very narrow minded in the least!!!! icon_confused.gif:confused:-->

If you do not tell the truth about yourself you can not tell it about other people.

virginia woolfe

I agree, WN. I don't believe I've ever heard that verse taught, but then again all the twi(t)s teach is the one about voluntary worshipping of angels.

Again, twi is a twi(t) of extremes and they don't believe in angels for people once they're born again. I think this verse proves them wrong...unless once you're born again you aren't obligated to take entertain angels?

Neat stuff Wayward. Thanks for sharin it.

• 1 month later...

My daughter got herself in a position to wear she had to live in her car for 2/half months and no one would help her, so she lost custody of her kids. We helped as much as we could, as we were going thru a bit of a crunch back then because of my hubby getting hit by a bus. She is still on the very brink of being homeless again but this time we were able to put her in a motel for a week. Please pray that she gets to keep her disability $ as the courts take over half of it for child support and now she can't even see them until she gets a permanent place to live where she can have her babies. We still tithe to ones who need it like my little girl and the homeless and yes even bums on the street.

Dovey

She probably already tried this and forgive me for saying something you may have done--

When I left TWI and my hubby, I had nothing & I had to rent a room in a house (less than a roommate situation) It was only around $200.00 per month at the time. It was month to month and I was able to get an apt. within 90 days or so...

My sister found a restuartuant with rooms for rent when she was in a similar situation. She worked in the resturant and lived in one of the rooms. She had to share a bathroom but everyone was clean. It was very cheap.

Edited by Dot Matrix

I have a brother who was homeless for several months, due to undiagnosed mental illness. My father finally found him and took him home. He was living in an abandoned car.

My brother was never able to overcome the illness and lead a 'normal' life. He lived the next twenty some years with my parents in the family home, where he did most of the yard work and house cleaning during the last years of my parent's lives.

Now he is living on his own, but my siblings and I oversee him, plus handled his finances etc. If he was on his own, he would be in a state facility, or, more likely, since he isn't violent, on the streets.

My Dad had a tragic childhood--raised in an orphange in the Depression, saw a sibling bleed to death, had another sibling adopted while he was left behind, farmed out to foster homes where he did the farm work of grown men. He certainly knew what hard times were. . . and he was always compassionate and giving, he volunteered, donated time and money to the types of causes we were taught to despise in TWI.

I aim to be like my Dad, not like what I was taught all those years in the way.

I'm aware that some people begging for money are just scamming the public. I do my best to listen to God and give when it seems right. I might not always be correct, but I'd rather be wrong and give to someone who doesn't need it than be wrong and not give to someone who does.

Oldiesman said:

quote:
I don't know about anyone else, but when I go to the supermarket I almost always see people begging for money of some sort. You see poor little children being prodded by their overweight parents looking on. They put these little kids on the spot, begging for money. Its nauseating.

Please go get a job and stop bothering me.

OM, your post leaves me almost speechless--but not quite.

Are you aware that not all disabilities--disabilities that might prevent people from getting a job--aren't obvious?

Are also you aware that some people are overweight because (a) they're physically unable to exercise, and/or (b) they're subsisting on bread and crackers and rice and other cheap but filling foods because that's all they can afford? If you think those people got fat on steak and lobster, check out the Atkins diet.

If I didn't have a job where I could work in an office, I'm not sure where I'd be. For now, the more physical work I've done in the past, even involving only a moderate amount of walking, is out of the question because of a chronic pain condition I have. I'm thankful I have a good job, but I sometimes think, "There but for the grace of God go I."

I'm also thankful that I have a loving family who would take me into their homes in a heartbeat if I found myself in dire straits. Not everyone has that support system.

Doesn't the account in the Bible of the good samaritan speak to your heart?

Linda Z

Galen, missed your post on page 2, very admirable way to live brother... I try to do that as well... if I'm able, and moved to do so, I help in whatever way I can... and I don't really care what anyone thinks about it... and like Kit's Mom and my Mom always say... "there but for the grace of God...."

know what I mean?

quote:
Originally posted by Shellon:

Interesting that many many people are but one paycheck from being in these people's places. Scarey stuff.

Shell, you hit it right on the head! And I for one am basically poor except for that regular paycheck. I would rather give them something to eat rather than money. However a day doesn't seem to go by here in Baltimore without someone begging me for spare change. At one time, I was impressed with those who would shamelessy put a sign saying they are poor. I was so impressed with such humility that I gave the person a few dollars. Then there are those who solicit directly to invidiuals. I've often noticed they beg from some and not others. What is their criteria for a potential "donor"? Maybe they are using it for drugs/booze and are too ashamed to own up to it.

As for myself, I was once destitute. But I have NEVER EVER resorted to panhandling. Many large cities have rescue missions and soup kitchens to help the truly destitute. (Why didn't TWI have such programs? Like we all agree they were a profit organization in disguise as a non-prof! Of course nothing needs to be said of the religious giants who would help such people, only for their own personal exploitative gain, sad to say.) I would seek one of those facitlites out first before I would beg. And if I did have to resort to soliciting from the public, I would find a way to do something redeeming for that handout rather than accepting a gift without some sort of reciprocity. I feel the only people who are entitled to ask for alms are those who are physically unable to work. Even then, you might find an occasional deaf mute asking for an alm, but always has something to offer in return (usually a pen, and a card containing the sign language alphabet). The bible does say if a man REFUSES to work, he should not eat. (verse of scripture TWI twisted severely to the offense of innocent people!). I believe one of the reasons the "homeless" resort to one-way begging is because they are turned away from the shelters that can assist them (often because they ask that those seeking help offer to be of some sort of community or other service, in short that four letter word, WORK!).

Also much of the blame can actually be put on the rich, who would refuse to hire many people in order to save money (for what reason, so they can put more gold and silver statues in their mansions, and thus flaunt their wealth?). I'm not obligated for the responsibilty of the rich to give the basest people an opportunity to earn their bread rightfully. This is why I more often than any refuse to contribute to the hand that begs. I wished I could offer that person to do something redeeming for a handout, but I'm afraid they would botch up such a responsibility, and believe me if they were responsible I could have them do something for me.

Well anyway, my thoughts on this matter.

Very seldom do I give money directly to beggars in the US. There are just too many scamsters. I have helped a few souls that have pressed me with a hard-luck story, but I usually sub-contract my eleemosynary responsibility to Salvation Army, Feed the Children, and a Catholic charity. They're responsible organizations, and they vet out the scamsters for me.

Outside of the US, I'm an easy mark. Nobody is faking poverty in Mumbai or Bangkok. Their local charitable organizations are probably more fair in distributing than I am, but the amounts you give beggars are trivial and, even if it is a scam, even the scamsters are desperately poor.

SkepTex

Tom Strange:

"Galen, missed your post on page 2, very admirable way to live brother... I try to do that as well... if I'm able, and moved to do so, I help in whatever way I can... and I don't really care what anyone thinks about it... and like Kit's Mom and my Mom always say... "there but for the grace of God...."

I try.

Edited by ET1 SS

quote:
Originally posted by The Skeptical Texan:

Very seldom do I give money directly to beggars in the US. There are just too many scamsters. I have helped a few souls that have pressed me with a hard-luck story........

Some of those hard luck stories are really scams too. One popular one is one is about 50 miles from home, he has a flat and no spare, and needs a few dollars to buy fix a flat. I have had that line fed to me a few times, and I didn't even buy it the first time. (who the hell drives 50 miles from home without any money?). Another one is similar, it usually involves someone who is out of town, and his car's transmission is so fouled up that it can only go into reverse! You have got to be gullable to buy that. Especially when 2 or more pull the same stunt, only they're from different cities. One was from Toledo while another was from Buffalo (NY). I've wised up to that game very quickly. I guess that's why the scam died down after a few years.

quote:
Some of those hard luck stories are really scams too. One popular one is one is about 50 miles from home, he has a flat and no spare, and needs a few dollars to buy fix a flat. I have had that line fed to me a few times, and I didn't even buy it the first time. (who the hell drives 50 miles from home without any money?).

CKnapp --Ever heard of GOING WOW???

icon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gif:D--> anim-smile.gificon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_eek.gif

quote:
Originally posted by dmiller:

quote:
(who the hell drives 50 miles from home without any money?)._

CKnapp --Ever heard of _GOING WOW???_

icon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gif:D--> anim-smile.gificon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_eek.gif

dmiller, who the hell drives 50 miles from home without any money and HAS HIS BRAIN WORKING RIGHT? icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

quote:
Originally posted by dmiller:

Where were you CKnapp, when docvic "wrote the

"Book on Believing", back in the "blue book" days?? icon_confused.gif:confused:-->

Am thinking you could have added _at least_ one extra chapter.

icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:--> icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:--> icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

If you are referring to the fact that I am not responsible for the welfare of the poor, but the rich are, then why didn't docvic give his abundace to the needy? He sure swam in OUR money now, that ol' porker!