GreaseSpot Cafe

Is there still a lot of drinking in the way?

My3Cents

In my WOW year in the late 70's, my corps branch coordinator(I was in her WOW family) decided after we found our housing and signed our rental agreement that we should celebrate. She said "I'll be right back" and she came back carrying a 12 pack of beer.

I knew right then and there.....I was going to like her and I did. It was a great year and although we live on different ends of the country, we are still friends today. It was especially interesting in that our limb coordinator a couple of days before mentioned he did not want any drinking.

Someone mentioned to her what he had said and she said something like......."Yea, well if he knew what we had to go through to get this house he wouldn't mind." Now that was a classic answer that I never forgot!

The WOWs in Sanford, ME where I got involved w/ TWI could knock down a few. One of the guys managed to get rip-roaring drunk one night before twig and was puking his guts outs in the bathroom with the tub water running - all through twig that night! I was worried the poor guy had afixiated or something!

I was 18 and thought they were cool to be "Christian" and living like they did. Sure they lived on spaghetti and hamburger but they always had St. Paulie Girl or Beck's in the fridge (and Drambuie on top of the fridge)...

As LCM got tighter so did the drinking - it wasn't as common and many more people were quitting smoking because of his rules - not just WC. He was just starting to harp on the fat people when he left...

No fun... he didn't want anyone to have fun but him (and look at where THAT got him!)

The two drink limit was a joke, if one happened to be a "leader" in the cult.

There were, and probably still are, many who drank more than was good for anybody.

HQ was "party central" for many years. I doubt it's changed, except maybe you have to sneak a smoke, to go along with all that beer and Jack Daniels. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

quote:
Someone mentioned to her what he had said and she said something like......."Yea, well if he knew what we had to go through to get this house he wouldn't mind." Now that was a classic answer that I never forgot!

Rewards for "believing"!! icon_wink.gif;)-->

They forced people to quit smoking and quit drinking and quit having fun, but behind closed doors the wc were (and still are) doing all these things.

I can't give you details because I don't want the waygb to have clues as to my whereabouts, but, suffice it to say....the double standard lives on.

We were having a social get together with some of our friends (Way and non-Way) and had also invited our local WC to the get together. When we mentioned that we would be having wine and beer at the social they told us under no uncertain terms were we to have alcohol at the get together.

The same thing happened later when we were having a branch-wide dinner. We wanted to serve wine with dinner and were told we couldn't.

I guess they don't trust us to be respectable. Or maybe they are afraid they can't control themselves around alcohol and may end up saying some things they shouldn't.

I must confess that I saw and did alot of drinking in the Way. I drank alot before the Way and drank alot after the Way. I remember a 5th corps party at RC and a cart was wheeled in with a case of bottled Bud on it. As is the way with alcoholics I quickly did the math and saw that I could have more than two. I sucked down 5 as I remember and then heard Trish Smith ask sweetly,"Has everyone had their two?" and the cart was wheeled out. I congradulated myself and went of to a good nights' sleep. By the way, I don't drink anymore.

Hi Rafael and Sudo,

yeah, I mostly lurk about once a week. Sudo, everything is cool, dude.

But the topic of drinking? ha....had to respond to dat one.

Big, heavy drinkers all over HQ and the Corps.

VPW used to show up pretty smashed at Trustee meetings in the mornings, and I noticed slurred speech on more than one Corps night phone hookup.

I think he was saying that HE shouldn't have more than two. That's why it came down the ranks to the rest...two drinks? heh.

And whoever said 40 oz was right...nice big triples times two....minimum.

Me and my buddies? We realized at HQ it was a joke and ignored it.

WW,

I doubt eliminating any alcohol from Way meetings was about being respectable. If my brain isn't too worn out, it was about lawsuits. Remember in the 90s the lawsuits against bars sending drunks onto the roads? That was the time that the edict came down about "no alcohol" at TWI functions. They were afraid of the liability.

As always, follow the money.

JT

Dear Wayward,

If your event was your own, it was none of their business. I am aware ( or try to be ) of my friends who may have a challenge. If there is even one, I would chang the booze plan or not invite them. I sure don't want to be a stumbling block in that ( or any other) area if I can help it.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, If I'm gonna drink I want to drink with people who enjoy it not a bunch of wrinkle brained sphincter heads.

Can you imagine coctails with Jean Yves Clouseau

Harvey Flatus and Roz Munch My Bark?

They should do more drinking.

I remember Martindale proudly proclaiming that he had never had a drink in his life.

....but then I remember VP saying that often times when things got too heavy he would sit on his back porch and "pop himself a Schlitz or two"

He was truly the Man of God for our times.

Maybe a better thread would be:

Is there still a lot of drinking BECAUSE of the Way?

YES, YES, a thousand times yes!!!