GreaseSpot Cafe

Phone Hookup Shenanigans

Mister P-Mosh

In 1998-1999 we were expected to dress as if we were attending the services live...Do all the rituals that were required at a live STS (social transmitted service) however, in 2002, (I think) we were told to come dressed casual or whatever we had to wear. Some of the rituals were dropped from the STS hook-up such as standing and clapping but charging us depended on how many attended. (25-75 cents)

When I began HF in 1998, a STS hook-up was attended by at least 30 or more people in the South-Knox area and by 2003 a good Sunday hook-up was attended by the 2 FC's their child and approx 3 believers. There were several times the hook-up was cancelled due to poor response and attendance.

I have to agree with others who have posted on how boring these teachings were and I believe this was the attitude of many other believers.

Teachings were the same voices with the same bull sh-t. Sort of like a broken record or one that is scratched really bad. You just don't want to listen to the noise it makes.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember, too, that it was a cardinal sin to out dress the leader of the meeting. If the leader of the meeting wore a sport coat but no tie, then you better not wear a sportcoat with a tie or (gasp) a suit.

I notice lots of doodling and snoozing going on during the hook-ups. Many times this is the only time most of the people listen to a teaching from hq anymore. They are so boring!

quote:
Originally posted by outandabout:

Oh, and here's MY current dress code:

casual: night shirt

casually elegant: sweats and t shirt

dress your best: Jeans and a top

So "dress not quite your best" would be jeans and NO top? icon_eek.gif

tootles, you make me laugh until i cry

2life, casually elegant bra and socks, no holes right ? ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

oh god this thread is funny

the limb leader who wouldn't let his wife wear jeans. STOP i can't stand it i'm laughing. they're divorced now. well **** i would be too ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

thanks pmosh for starting this. i'm leaving now, can you and steve! make sure your avatars stand up again ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

When I was "in", I didn't mind the teachings themselves so much, but I didn't see the point of listening to Way productions, especially when they did something visual (but we still clapped)

After Martindale left, they got even more boring. As much as Martindale was an idiot, he was entertaining at least.

I remember the night VPW taught on the Hope, and before the teaching said he wanted all men to wear a suit and a tie and the women a dress or something. But he did stress that if you were wearing the best you had (regardless of a suit or tie) it would be okay, in order to attend a teaching in the VPW Auditorium.

After he died, it went law. Men were removed or refused admittance to the main auditorium to a small room to hear the teaching for not having a tie.

Once, Howard Allen was greeting people as usual entering the Auditorium and I was wearing an out of date suit bought off the Corps rack where they usually had things for Corps. I had my suit, it was the best and only one I had, and he avoided shaking my hand. He did see an obviously affluent couple enter and went to shake their hands. After they went inside, I kind of walked up in front of him, blocking all others, forcing a hand shake from him. he gave me a grudgingly swift hand shake, then I was off into the Auditorium.

I remember being told to show up for special hook ups .... must attend or else and no explanation as to what the special hook up was about. Just dress up and show up.

The last one turned to be the

unapologectic unconfession by LCM about his affair.

Then we had to speak afterwards and tell how we still supported everything TWI.

We had to pay for that too.

What a horrible experience.

Get out now.

quote:
Originally posted by fortunateone:

I remember being told to show up for special hook ups .... must attend or else and no explanation as to what the special hook up was about. Just dress up and show up.

The last one turned to be the

unapologectic unconfession by LCM about his affair.

Then we had to speak afterwards and tell how we still supported everything TWI.

We had to pay for that too.

What a horrible experience.

Get out now.

I remember that, although I'm pretty sure were were in different areas. Unfortunately, I didn't get out then, although it was a time when my parents considered it for the first time (they didn't get out though.) I think that I share some of the blame for them staying in, as my waybrain dedication managed to override my intelligence. I basically talked to them about how TWI was about God and not about a man. I was wrong.

Radar,

Good point to not forget.

P-mosh,

That "confession" was pretty much the last straw for me. It was prerecorded for cryin' out loud! Then we immediately got told over and over again how the Martindale family needed our love and prayers. Oh, and now was "a time of forgiveness." Yep, we were TOLD we had to forgive him for having an affair. When the other people got tossed out on their ear for some minor "crime" we were told they were possessed or evil or some other terrible thing. Mr. "I'm blow tons o' cash on law suits" gets mandatory forgiveness. No double standard here.

Another great PR stunt brought to you by TWI.

JT