GreaseSpot Cafe

What is the real purpose of this website?

wonder1

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[oh and goey--I remember hearing over 100,000 while I was a WOW in Northern Ireland. (as opposed to 30,000)

As I understand it, the 100,000 figure was an estimate of how many folks took PFAL over the years - not how many faithful ABSing followers TWI had at any given time. Not everyone that took the class "followed" TWI. There were lots of drop outs - even early on.

The 30,000 figure represents the peak number of faithful followers at any given time. I am guessing that TWI peaked right before Craig took over and the decline began shortly aftewards. Just guessing.

On another note: Looks like Wonder1 started this thread and then tucked tail and ran after folks challenged his/her opening post.

We make a mistake when we immediately attack a new poster instead of calmly answering the question posed, and then patiently waiting to see what happens.

Unfortunately, there are some here who seem to lack the ability to be calm and patient. Sorry if that stings, but you need to be told the truth.

Posters seeking an honest answer don't "tuck tail and run" when confronted with an attack to an honest question. They might have decided what they heard about this site is true, and you simply just aren't worth their time and bother.

Try being courteous next time, and they might stick around long enough to truly determine whether they are serious or just trying to start something.

Nothing is ever lost by being courteous. Evil will eventually show itself. However, much can be lost by being offensive and rude right off the bat.

Catcup,

I just can't imagine who you are talking about.

But unfortunately, there are some here who lack the ability to know the difference between an attack and a challenge - or the difference between an honest question and a rhetorical one that is an attack itself, laden with contempt and judgement. Folks that present their own misguided perceptions as "the truth" while they themselves hypocritically and slyly attack and reprove those that they errantly perceive as rude and impolite "attackers".

Catcup,

I believe your admonition is wise, but possibly misplaced.

Wonder did receive a warm welcome here. "His" positions were challenged, but he was treated with nothing but respect when he showed up (even though some might interpret his first post as a tad abrasive). He has started two threads, both of which question the motives of posters here and both of which judge the posters here (albeit softly).

In the first thread, he gently chastises us for expecting a ministry to be "perfect." Of course, that accusation simplifies what most of us think a ministry should be, but nonetheless, the responses were by and large equally gentle.

Then he starts this thread, which is far more confrontational.

quote:
All I see is bashing, slamming and cut downs. If this ministry was really that bad why continue to talk about it. I know if I had a bad experience with a group (which I have) I might talk about for a little bit, but then its history! Why the constant talk?

In other words, I would have gotten over it by now: why don't you just get over it?

Fair question. Except this time the responses are a bit more commensurate with the tone of his first post. Goey threw his tone right back in his face (not the approach I would have taken, but I'm trying to remember the part where he asked me and, son of a gun, I can't find it)!

Shellon's response was even better:

quote:
("All I see are put-downs, etc"): Thats ALL? You are not looking then.

You see no humor, no kindness, no great stories, nothing that gives you the slightest hint of people just being people?

Life is messy. It's not always pretty and good and nice. This stuff we have here is real life, day to day life.

How boring would it be if there were never any disagreements, debates, discussion.

No insults. No attacks.

Wonder came in with an attack. Maybe he didn't intend it, but that's what it was. No, he doesn't owe any apologies. But neither should he be surprised that people here reject his simplification of this board's purposes and posts.

"Try being courteous," you say? Sorry, Catcup, but we gave Wonder plenty o'courtesy.

I don't know about turning tail and running. For all I know his mom died yesterday and GSCafe suddenly became a non-entity in his life. I try not to speculate on the reasons people stop posting.

But don't tell us to try politeness. We did that already. And some of us still are.

Catcup I do understand your intention in what you were saying in what you did. I sometimes think people come on this site just to see how we will repsond. I found the nature of the question not to be of someone who would be scared off so easily and as of yet I have not recieved anything from my sincere offer to discuss (his or her) issues out of the room. Yes maybe I was a bit sarcastic but not mean spirited so I really do wonder if this post was just a put on for someone who gets some demented thrill on reading our responses? WHAT DOES EVERYONE THINK ? A GREASESPOT PUNKED ? !!!!! WHAT WE BEEN PUNKED ? icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Edited by dougie73

The real purpose (or Flipper, if you will) is to drag the remaining remant of the 'prevailing household' kicking and screaming back to this planet. icon_razz.gif:P-->

We're not full yet, so climb aboard.

(For those not familiar with the concept, the above was blatant sarcasm. One quality a fundamental believer in anything tends to lack is of sense of humor, therefore the clarification)

Tom, I'm not worried about THOSE pigs-- they didn't have wings, so they were "mark and avoid" heeheehee!!!!!

But tossin ya does seem like a viable option after that HORRIBLE TERRIBLE Piggy BBQ! I'm Still having nightmares!!!! icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Now that that this thread is on t-shirts, flying on the planet lie some pigs do icon_eek.gif, orbiting like a spacecowboy off the planet and everyhere else I wonder ? can I get a gs t-shirt with a bear logo, favorite baseball team, a pic of Frank Zappa and a spacecowboy put on my special order gs t-shirt ? I wonder ? I WHA WHA WHA WHA WONDER ? Where she will go ?(freakin thread !) My run run run run RUNNAWAY ! Dam I cannot reach those high notes anymore ! Yeah I was punked !!!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif:D--> I'll get over it and with a few laughs too ! Thank you very much my fellow postersfor the space and Those were the days my friends!!!!! I 'm glad the cult days did end ! icon_confused.gif:confused:--> P.S. Is GS looking for salepeople to sell the t-shirts ?("retire" = I love that word !!!)Will icon_eek.gificon_smile.gif:)-->not however sell door to door !!!!!!!!!!!!! Too much coffee today !!!! icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

Edited by dougie73

[ icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_biggrin.gif:D-->QUOTE]Originally posted by A la prochaine:

purpose?

to irritate the crap outta' people who find us irritating. icon_biggrin.gif:D--> You are way too funny you !!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif:D--> TRIPLE TIMES TRIPLE LAUGHTER !!!! STOP THAT !!!!!!!!LMAO x 10 icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

quote:
Originally posted by TheManOfa Thousand ScreenNames:

The real purpose (or Flipper, if you will) is to drag the remaining remant of the 'prevailing household' kicking and screaming back to this planet. icon_razz.gif:P-->

We're not full yet, so climb aboard. So that's why I loved flipper so much as a child ? Never missed an episode and glad Flipper found another gig and a purpose too ! No PORPOISE CULT FOR HIM ! LOVE THAT FLIPPER ! icon_cool.gif

(For those not familiar with the concept, the above was blatant sarcasm. One quality a fundamental believer in anything tends to lack is of sense of humor, therefore the clarification)