GreaseSpot Cafe

Three Years Ago This Month

Oakspear

(It will be August 1st in an hour, but I need to go to bed before then)

In August of 2001, Central Region Coordinator, Missouri-Nebraska Limb Coordinator, and Kansas City Branch Coordinator Tom H was coming to visit us in Lincoln, Nebraska. I thought it was odd, since he had just been here a few days earlier, and he was bringing his wife with him.

Our fellowship coordinator called me at home to ask if I could stay afterwards, since Tom wanted to talk to me. (Aha! That's why he's here again!)

Earlier I had a conversation with Tom H regarding some of my concerns about TWI doctrine, in particular several parts of the WayAP class. I had previously spoken by phone to John Reynolds, then Secretary-Treasurer of TWI,who had urged me to discuss my converns with Tom, since Tom "had worked the Word in preparation for teaching WayAP live. Tom's reply was that he didn't need to work the Word since the Trustees stood behind the class, and that was good enough for him.

At the time I was posting on GS as Twyril, and the WayGB (possibly Tom H himself) had figured out that I was Twyril.

I was confronted with printouts of posts that I had made, as well as information that I had shared by email with only a few individuals. I would not admit to be "Twyril" to them, but freely admitted to being convinced that much of what TWI was teaching was wrong. Just before the meeting ended I told my inquisitors that regarding the suspect doctrines "either someone is going to have to convince me that I am wrong, or the Trustees are going to have to change what they are teaching and promoting". They were aghast!

Four days later I received a phone call from Tom H informing me that I was no longer welcome at Way fellowships since I "did not believe that the Trustees were leading the minsitry in the right direction."

Tom H then began to give me instructions on how I was to communicate this information to my family (who were still welcome). I laughed and told him that he had abdicated any shred of authority he may have had over me; I hung up.

Although it's been a rocky road, and my spouse didn't go with me, as Hope & John left together, things are so much better now.

Thanks to all of you, in the forums & chat room, over the phone, by email, and in person, who have made the ride a little less bumpy.

(((((oak))) You are a brave man, a man of integrety, I am so sorry that it cost you so much.

Damn them for the destruction wrought when they could not corrupt you, make you back down and shut up once the truth was known...I dearly hope somebody will have to answere for their conduct...

I salute you....and am glad to know that your life continues to get better.

Cathy

To divide families like they do...how in all of the earth could they ever in a million years think they were "godly"?

Such a wake of heartbreak and hurt...

Oak, I'm glad you're out...I wish it didn't have to rip apart your family...you know I think the world of you and reikilady.

Sigh.

Is anything more of a relief than finally breaking free from a domineering cult?

A shame the family didn't make it out intact Oak, but at least you did.

And re: Tom H. I knew him just a bit while I was working at Gunnison. He never struck me as having an overabundance of brain power. Maybe I misread him, I dunno. Though your experience doesn't do much to change my initial opinion.

Whenever I hear stories like that, though, I always wonder. What's going to become of these Stepford "leaders" when the show is finally over? Out on the streets, no job, no job skills, no resume, no education, and nothing but tainted memories of a deluded, misspent life. Oooo, that ain't gonna be pretty.

Glad you're "here" and not "there"!

Oak,

It took some majorly big cajones to do what you did. Your story showed how twi has no heart and is weak in their doctrines and research of them. It just shows how they keep the doctrine of a paranoid a$$ who had no right to teach the Bible or lead people.

I'm so glad you are much happier today. You are a smart man, and I always appreciate your opinions.

No George, you didn't misread him icon_eek.gif

One of the things that I always thought ironic was that in many cases TWI gave us the tools to get out. I mean that they really did teach us keys to interpreting the bible, but anyone who honestly used them would find out the many inconsistancies and errors in TWI doctrine.

Back then I didn't know or believe the worst of the abuses of Martindale and even Wierwille and was willing to stick with "the ministry that taught me the Word" even if some of it's leaders were abusive.

It was a systematic "working the Word" as it applied to various TWI classes and books that opened my eyes to the house of cards that was TWI.

Oak, I'm so glad you've always been there for ME! I'm sorry you had to go through what you did, but glad that I had someone going through the same things to talk about it with over warm brats and cold beer.

((((((OAKSPEAR))))))

The authority over our lives we gave Way leader people was way too much.

It took me some time to figure out I was to take charge of my family and get out of TWI.

I did not give TWI the chance to offer my family

haven and only kick me out.

My last call made that perfectly clear.

No more TWI fellowship for my family.

My kids are very thankful we quit. Since leaving many stories have come up discribing stupid TWI leadership abuses.

Shocking accusations and requests[nonsexual]

of their lives cause they were in some camps and some meetings that I did not attend over

the years.

God delivered us from abusive uneducated mean leadership.

Interesting story Oak. It sounds like you took a good stand on your principles when you left. It's amusing, because although they are the ones that told you that you're not welcome, it was indeed you who left their game, mentally. They always say that it's a battle in the arena of your mind, so in this case you won. Congratulations on getting out and staying out.