GreaseSpot Cafe

Rewriting twi history

skyrider

The delete button has become a stroke of twi survival.

For those who have first-hand knowledge of twi events and situations, it is apparent that twi's history is being rewritten. Clearly, there has been...and always will be, twi's public release that chronicles their past. And, then....another in-house, prevailing household version is interjected at staff meetings and corps training.

For those of us who stayed after the mass exodus of 1988.....the process of rewriting twi history was like high tide that washes away the footprints in the sand.

After 1988....ex-twi leaders' works (books, tapes, materials) were boxed and stored away

After 1988....ex-leaders, ex-corps, and ex-followers were considered anathema

After 1988....martindale declared major aspects of vpw's work as old-wineskins

After 1988....mortgages approved by The Way Credit Union were now devilish-debt

After 1988....the "present truth" could debunk last month's teachings

After 1988....crossing the "bridge" was propaganda to "rewrite one's conscience"

Yes, I know.......this is all too simplistic, many, MANY aspects were shifting and changing. But for the sake of illustration.....certainly 1988 was a crossroads year. Then.....

After 2000....twi's lawyers advise them to get rid of martindale

After 2000....waydale gains high exposure to declare abuses

After 2000....two lawsuits against twi are settled out of court

After 2000....another exodus ensues.....a few thousand leave

After 2000....greasespot cafe continues to give voice

Twi's programs......minutemen, fellow laborers, wow, college wow, military wow, way disciple, corps, recognized corps, special corps, university of life.......all have gone through major changes or been discarded altogether.

Twi's classes.......being a class-oriented organization, their foundational class needs to be REWRITTEN and implemented. The 18-year reign of martindale is history, forgotten history.....a chapter that will be deleted.

And.........therein lies the power of words. icon_smile.gif:)-->

skyrider

Martindale's "de-Wierwillization" of TWI reminded me of Khruschev's "de-Stalinization" of the USSR, without the vilification. He obviously couldn't get away with dissing VPW, so he just changed all the names of everything that Vic did. He obviously intended to "make" the ministry "his own"! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

I was gone before Rosie took over. How is the "de-Martindalization" progressing? icon_wink.gif;)-->

George

George.....excellent post!

And........in a few years the "de-Rivenbarkisms" will be washed away as the tides of time roll on. No one stands (except its founder, vp) to leave an imprint, let alone a legacy. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

It's the present truth, the present truth and NOTHING but the present truth!

The "de-Martindalization" is working by "don't talk about it". If you quit talking about it and accuse those who do of holding on to the past and not moving on, then they will forget.

"It's okay to talk about his book because he was a wonderful, intelligent MOG who just happened to have a tiny character flaw.... icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:--> but we forgive and forget." This is their new mantra.

They keep references to him quiet and subtle because they know that people are peeved and don't take his sins as lightly as the BOD and little wannabees do, but they also know if they openly worship him they will run those people off and that would impact the income stream.

quote:
They keep references to him quiet and subtle because they know that people are peeved and don't take his sins as lightly as the BOD and little wannabees do, but they also know if they openly worship him they will run those people off and that would impact the income stream.

Belle....yeah, the income stream. icon_smile.gif:)-->

MONEY.......always canoeing DOWNstream, it's easier. icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

TWI has long been in the re-writing business. How many people who got involved in the seventies knew any of the "pillars of the church" from the fifties, other than the ones who still hung around?

How many people who got involved in the late seventies/early eighties knew who Steve Heefner was? Or that he operated an independent "Way East" in New York state?

What about how supporters of Wierwille like P*ter W*de were ignored, as if they never existed. Even a GS regular, who still runs PFAL classes, did not know who he was in a recent thread.

In the nineties, the fact that there were five trustees at one time during the late eighties was whited out of the records.

Winston Smith lives!

Winston Smith lives indeed...Let us not forget the myth of the snow on the gas pumps, the snowstorm in Tulsa, or the hookshot for that matter...Vic the grifter always had his spin going...working the crowd.

If the true history of twi was made "available", I would imagine we would see several thousand more leave.

quote:
Originally posted by Belle:

quote:
In the nineties, the fact that there were five trustees at one time during the late eighties was whited out of the records.

Indeed it was! Who were they? Why did they go to five and then why back to 3?

Following the reading of the POP Ricardo Caballero and John Townsend were added to the Board of Trustees. I don't know if they resigned or were forced off as Martindale regained control.

References to the Trustees in the 90's omitted these two

quote:
Originally posted by Belle:

Indeed it was! Who were they? Why did they go to five and then why back to 3?

Are you asking? Or is that rhetorical.

Chris Geer had two more trustees installed after POP: Johnny Townsend and Ricardo Caballero. They both got kicked out in the 1989 purge.

To the best of my knowledge, Townsend remained a Geer loyalist. I have no idea what happened to Caballero, or if my info on Townsend is still valid (it was 10 years ago).

Belle,

The "five" of the trustees included LCM, DEW, HA, and then they added Ricardo Cabellero and Johnny Townsend, IIRC.

BTW, skyrider, wasn't the real exodus in the spring of '89? That's when LCM gave his infamous "my way or the highway" directive and all those with any doubts whatsoever about the wisdom of WayWorld mandates were unceremoniously shown the door...

quote:
BTW, skyrider, wasn't the real exodus in the spring of '89? That's when LCM gave his infamous "my way or the highway" directive and all those with any doubts whatsoever about the wisdom of WayWorld mandates were unceremoniously shown the door...

Yeah, George......you've got a point there.

In some ways, it depends on how one looks at "exodus"........

August 1986.......Gxxr read POP at corps week -- soon many started exiting

1987..............JAL, RD and others spoke out -- "the exodus" had begun

1988..............More clergy/leaders left ----- "the twi exodus" was in full swing

March 8, 1989.....LCM public stands against CGeer -- the infamous directive ensues

Most had ALREADY made their decision to leave throughout this 1988 year....and were just getting their ducks in a row. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

But yeah......I guess 1989 might be the best year to clarify it.

sky

Belle:

We know your question was serious, but it really shows you weren't told much about the earlier twi.

J*hnny T*wnsend was in twi since the 60's - - came shortly after doing time in the Army (I think it was the Army). He married Naomi who was in the 1st Corps (they are still married and live in Beavercreek, OH).

He was one of VP's early assistants and one of the few (like Donnie Fugit) who was allowed to teach PFAL live. He also spent a lot of time as a Limb Leader in Kansas - - also did time in NY and CA. He was one of the more "mature" younger people VP relied on who was instrumental in helping build the ministry from the 60s through the 80s. Could always be counted on to "put out fires". (He came into Calif. in 1976 or so when the previous Limb guy was involved in a sex scandal, etc., and came to restore "order").

He was at HQ quite a bit off and on over the years. So when POP .... hit the fan, he was naturally one of the choices to help "return the ministry to God's Word".

Yes, he is still running Geer classes - - I believe the only one licensed in Ohio. Has a number of old time PFAL grads in the area he still fellowships with.

I don't know all of Ricardo's background, but his father was very high up in gov't in Argentina when Ricardo got involved in the ministry. He graduated from the 7th Corps and he and his wife ran Argentina for a number of years. Not too many years after POP, he and his wife split, she continuing to run Argentina for twi. He's remarried now, but I don't know what he is doing.

Why he was brought in to help as a Trustee after POP, I have no idea. Perhaps some of the folks who were at HQ at the time might know better than me. I will say, he's a very sweet, kind man.

J.

quote:
Why he was brought in to help as a Trustee after POP, I have no idea. Perhaps some of the folks who were at HQ at the time might know better than me. I will say, he's a very sweet, kind man.

For one thing.....cgeer was the one DIRECTING twi's trustees "how to fix the problems." Cgeer was 7th corps and Rxcardo was 7th corps as well.

I could be wrong on this.....but I seem to remember something where cgeer said that Rxcardo had great leadership qualities (country coord. of Argentina), strong integrity and a pure heart.

For 2 1/2 years......cgeer was the man "in charge" which turned twi on its ear. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Jardinero wrote about J.T.

quote:
(He came into Calif. in 1976 or so when the previous Limb guy was involved in a sex scandal, etc., and came to restore "order").

The previous limb guy would have been D*l D*ncan? I never heard anything about that. Can you share anything?