GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

Tigers showin they are so good they can pitch to Pujols with a base open ?

Mwahh ha ha haaa

That fast ball didn't quite get past Rolen this time ...

Even Reyes is lookin' pretty good

Lookin better for now at least 4-1 end 4

(OK, Leland says they were sposed to be pitching around him, but got one too close)

Edited by rhino

Hey DMiller,

Sure it seems like Detroit forgot to show up, or maybe left their bats in the locker room, but the serious is far from over.

It looked to me like, toward the end of the game, Leyland was working to get plenty of guys into the game, to work off some of the week-long layoff.

I'd expect the Tigres to come out with more energy this afternoon.

Might not happen, but at this point, I think they will...

The Tigers showed up for the game tonight???

Hey,Miller,...I think they got a ride to the ballpark in those old campers you posted on LindaZ's thread...

It seemed like Leyland was trying to establish something,or set the tone by pitching to Pujols...I know Jack Mckeon got the Marlins to the Series by not pitching to Barry Bonds...Leyland seems more prone to challenging his pitchers and the other team's hitters... Especially early in ballgames,you can get your team in a lot of trouble if Edmonds and Rolen keep coming to the plate with runners on...What does seem kinda scary for the Tigers is that the three-headed monster for the Cards all seem to be hitting....Great ballgame by Reyes...he really handcuffed the Tigers...Now that their nose is bloodied,let's see if they put up a good fight...

Now that their nose is bloodied,let's see if they put up a good fight...

Well we should see tonight whether this Tigers roar thing is for real.

If Rogers can pull yet another game of his life out of his bag of tricks ........

Honestly a highlight for me last night was when they showed the guy in a Mets hat, and he had a classic " I cant believe I just spent $2500 and my team isnt even here" look on his face.

Cracked me up

Even here in chat some met fan bragged a couple weeks ago how the Mets would beat all comers. I forget who it was, but I thought of them while FOX was showing all those sad Mets in the top of the 9th. Then brief hope in the bottom of the ninth, only to be crushed again ... :evildenk:

Is it wrong to enjoy that moment? :dance:

Edited by rhino

It always amuses me when fans so identify with a team that they think THEY have won or lost something.

At best, you root for your team and it makes you feel good when they win, and bad when they lose.

Fan has nothing to do with it, even with the '10th man' home field advantage .

If your team loses, those guys are still pocketing their millions, and taking the winter off, while we show up at our crummy jobs.

If your team wins, you get to 'rub it in' for a day or two, while you're still going back to your crummy job.

Am I sounding too cynical ? probably

Hey, I had a fun season. Went to more Dodger games than I could count. Saw some great games including Nomar's bottom of the 9th grand slam in the last home game, and attended my first playoff game ever. I dumped ALOT of money at Chavez Ravine, and it was worth it for the entertainment.

I just don't get that emotionally involved anymore. I'd rather take credit or blame for something I was responsible for. When the Dodgers tanked in the playoffs, it felt bad, but I was over it by the time I got home.

I think the Tigers will 'show up' but who knows ? And if they don't it's no skin off my back.

I would like a fun, 7 game series though. With a Tiger win in the last game.

your baseball curmudgeon, signing off

Boy oh boy, hiway, you had both cynical and reflective in that post. Back on '01, I went to two post season games... the last game of the NLDS when the Dbacks finished off the Cards, and Game ONE of the WS when the Dbacks blasted the Yankers, I think it was 9-1.

That was fun alright. But not that kind of fun this year... my home team had a pretty mediocre year.

But, we can both (all or most of us here) say as they say in Chicago... wait 'til next year! (or something like that). :dance:

I paid no attention to baseball for years, and much preferred when a team stuck together more and didn't make millions, go on strike, and were called names like dizzy and daffy.

But hangin' with some older folks, I saw it was something they could still enjoy. I become more stoic after my team loses .. then I say I don't care ... LOL

But in general terms I like to root for the underdog, and the teams with salaries a fifth that of the Yanks ... Woulda been cool to see the Brew Crew, but I'll rejoice with the Cards since they are winning :)

Edited by rhino

Well,as long as we're all coming out of the closet and writing our 'I wouldn't be here if it weren't for baseball' essays in 500 words or less...

My entire life,...being a Cub fan coming out of the womb,would be an emotional endless path of black cats crossing it,broken mirrors,walking under ladders,full moons on Friday the 13th and nonstop days of the dark winter of the soul...I would ever more be singing,as Brook Benton so soulfully crooned "Lord I believe it's raining all over the world"...

Thankfully,I also learned at a young age that baseball is just a game....

Mstar,I think Zelasko looks a little like that gal that played 'police woman'(Angie Dickenson?)...

I liked Mellancamp's opening "This is my country"....'Cept for some reason I want to trade in my old Ford pickemup for a Chevy truck...

1-0 Tiggers...

2-0...Good thing for Detroit it wasn't a ground rule double...

liked Mellancamp's opening "This is my country"....'Cept for some reason I want to trade in my old Ford pickemup for a Chevy truck...

I was wondering how he swung (swang (?)) that deal, Ive heard that song about 255 times since the game started yesterday.Its already gettin old.

He does look better than Bob Seger who apparently has the same dentist as Austin Powers.

man, it's colder here (central Illinois ... 38) than Detroit 45 I think it said

Tiggers look a little more jazzed tonight

I'm actually lookin at a Tacoma ... more features than the Ranger ... rated higher ...

I acquired an '82 F-250 from an uncle that I'll use around here ...

and I almost forgot ... have an econoline ford van from another uncle that hasn't run in 20 years or so, but looks pretty good... I'd fix up the F-250 but the 7 mpg is akiller ...

one to the track at least ... looked like he connected ...

so Kenny Rogers washed off the pine tar ... didn't seem to help the cards, but they all have had a look at him now

Swang

imp. of Swing.

Swang

n.

[Cf. Swamp.]

A swamp. [Prov. Eng.]

Swang or Saang or Svanga is a popular folk dance drama form in Haryana, Uttar Pradesh and Malwa region of Madhya Pradesh. Its roots can be traced back to the origins of the Indian theatre tradition. Since women did not participate in the dance-drama form, men enacted their roles. ... wikipedia

I'm not sure what an imp is, maybe only imps use "swang"

9 straight retired by Rogers ... :yawn1:

Rogers should be impeached ... LOL isn't murcurochrome more red? and why would he have that much, and how could it stick on there like that? guilty heh

Edited by rhino