GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

Cool Rock that sounds like a great game....I love games like that--but you already know that, and Im happy Bolsh gets to go to a game-----be careful its addictive

aside from 2 doubleheaders in 3 days which has screwd up the rotation some*, my favorite news has been that Jon Lester who as a rookie went 7-2 last year before being diagnosed with cancer, made his second rehab start yesterday went 3 2/3 and gave up no runs and 1 hit.

Beating other teams is one thing, beating cancer is another.

I like this kid, he is only 23

Go Jon!

The RedSox and Yankees have a series this week . Do you think ESPN will mention it? :huh:

* probably not as bad as the '27 Yankees who had 4 doubleheaders in 5 days

Cool Rock that sounds like a great game....I love games like that--but you already know that, and Im happy Bolsh gets to go to a game-----be careful its addictive

aside from 2 doubleheaders in 3 days which has screwd up the rotation some*, my favorite news has been that Jon Lester who as a rookie went 7-2 last year before being diagnosed with cancer, made his second rehab start yesterday went 3 2/3 and gave up no runs and 1 hit.

Beating other teams is one thing, beating cancer is another.

I like this kid, he is only 23

Go Jon!

The RedSox and Yankees have a series this week . Do you think ESPN will mention it? :huh:

* probably not as bad as the '27 Yankees who had 4 doubleheaders in 5 days

Does the POPE defecate in the woods? I'd be surprised if they talked about anything ELSE!

I'm thinking that when the BoSox come to Phoenix, the Dbacks will be lucky to win just ONE of the games! :blink:

Edited by Rocky

Got to go to my first game in about six years on Saturday. Reds vs Pirates in Cinci. Had a good time.

Got to see some old Red Sox. Bronson Arroyo didn't have a good game. Gave up about 5 runs in three innings. Scott Hatteberg hit a homerun. Fireworks went off everytime the home team hit a homerun. The Reds were always down but started to make a comeback in the 8the and 9th with back-to-back homeruns.

I got to bring a fellow from Germany to the game so he could absorb more of American culture. He doesn't understand how baseball is a sport. He had fun.

My wife came also, and she enjoyed herself, which means we should be making some more games the summer. :dance:

(sorry for talking about myself here, just excited)

Edited by Bolshevik

As Rocky said on another thread,the D-backs are on quite a roll---six in a row...They got a guy,Mark Lewis,who just two weeks ago was playing in double-A Memphis,and right now is batting .420 (21-50) in the bigs with three homers and 13 ribbies...Not a bad start in the majors...The other day,he may have had just a slight amount of disappointment when he jacked an 0-2 pitch that just cleared the wall for his second homer of the game...Already having hit a homer,two singles and a triple in the game and needing a double to complete the cycle,he instead had to settle for 13 total bases in five at-bats...I'm sure he'll cope with that ok...

On the other hand,I wonder how Armando Benitez of the Giants will cope with his inning from hell against the Mets,or even more specifically,his hellacious meltdown with Carlos Delgado at the plate...After walking Jose Reyes to start the 11th with a one run lead,he balks him to second,and after a sacrifice is an out away from getting out of the inning,and oops---he balks in the tying run from third...How embarrassing,especially with those Jesus Christ so-and-so Mets fans,whom I've despised since 1969,screaming and hollaring wildly at him,being a former Met himself...I wonder if after that balk,he thought something like "Oh Lord,it can't get any worse than this,---just get me outta here quickly"...Fine---How about giving up a walk off homerun to help you forget about balking in the tying run?.....

Some guy on Toronto stole home off Andy Pettit today...For the life of me,I can't figure out how that play is ever successful...You hate risking an out with a guy who is already on third....The pitcher can stop his motion any time if he just steps off the rubber....You would seemingly have to catch the whole infield napping...I could see them trying it more often in the NL if there's two outs and the pitcher's up....But it is a cool looking play when it works...

Welcome back Simon, that which was lost has been found!, good to see you back!

I've had to restrain myself here somewhat, because, as you can guess, its almost all good in Soxland, theyve been hittin on all 25 cylinders, and I dont want to look like Im gloating.

Im not-its just really good baseball

Ive read about those teams that have said they went to the park expecting to win every day, but I have never experienced it before, so far it has been like that, relaxed and easy and a good feeling to watch baseball everyday.

For once in my life I dont have to have a meltdown when someone comes into pitch, or someone else comes to the plate or wait for a shoe to drop or some disaster to happen.

Im getting so spoiled that I find myself talking about mistakes after wins, or being concerned because although they win, they may not have played as well as they couldve... which is an extremely rare luxury.

The pitching has been huge all the way through the staff..

they'll be down n your neck of the woods/desert soon

OK... I just calculated it out... and we only have to win at a .645 clip from here on out (71-39) to reach 90 wins this season so's we can get into the playoffs and win the world series...

Or as one radio guy said a couple of weeks ago: It's been a tough year for DFW fans... the Cowboys lost and were out of it in the first round, the Stars lost and were out of it in the first round, the Mavs lost and were out of it in the first round and the stRangers lost and were out of it in the first week...

As Rocky said on another thread,the D-backs are on quite a roll---six in a row...They got a guy,Mark Lewis,who just two weeks ago was playing in double-A Memphis,and right now is batting .420 (21-50) in the bigs with three homers and 13 ribbies...Not a bad start in the majors...The other day,he may have had just a slight amount of disappointment when he jacked an 0-2 pitch that just cleared the wall for his second homer of the game...Already having hit a homer,two singles and a triple in the game and needing a double to complete the cycle,he instead had to settle for 13 total bases in five at-bats...I'm sure he'll cope with that ok...

On the other hand,I wonder how Armando Benitez of the Giants will cope with his inning from hell against the Mets,or even more specifically,his hellacious meltdown with Carlos Delgado at the plate...After walking Jose Reyes to start the 11th with a one run lead,he balks him to second,and after a sacrifice is an out away from getting out of the inning,and oops---he balks in the tying run from third...How embarrassing,especially with those Jesus Christ so-and-so Mets fans,whom I've despised since 1969,screaming and hollaring wildly at him,being a former Met himself...I wonder if after that balk,he thought something like "Oh Lord,it can't get any worse than this,---just get me outta here quickly"...Fine---How about giving up a walk off homerun to help you forget about balking in the tying run?.....

Some guy on Toronto stole home off Andy Pettit today...For the life of me,I can't figure out how that play is ever successful...You hate risking an out with a guy who is already on third....The pitcher can stop his motion any time if he just steps off the rubber....You would seemingly have to catch the whole infield napping...I could see them trying it more often in the NL if there's two outs and the pitcher's up....But it is a cool looking play when it works...

Make that SEVEN games in a row... Two series sweeps, at home against Houston, and in Philly.

BTW, Simon, Mark Lewis is a sports talking head local broadcast media guy. You're thinking of Mark Reynolds. He had another good night at the plate tonight... I haven't looked at the box score yet, but do know he at least hit one HR tonight. Eric Byrnes hit 2 HRs.

AND... it's looking like BoMel (Bob Melvin, Dbacks manager) was listening to my advice the day we went to the game and the Unit pitched 6 solid innings only to fall apart in the 7th. RJ only threw about 60 some pitches in six innings tonight for the win....

I liked how he got Valverde out of the game two nights ago right after CoJack made that error... Valverde being as emotionally charged as he is, it would have been difficult for him to stay even keeled that night. So, Lyon comes on to get the save... then tonight, when Lyon melted down in the 9th, Valverde put out the fire... slamming the door shut in no uncertain terms.

---------

Yes, Mstar, just over a week now before the BoSox come to the desert. I hope the Dbacks retain some momentum after their series at Shea... if the Dbacks play as well then... it could be a match up of the two best teams in the majors at the time... I'm a little bit more optimistic the Dbacks can win at least one or two against your Sox now. ;)

btw, TomStrange... Tejas can still get it done... didn't the Angels, in 2002 have a pretty rough start to the season before going on to win it all?

I meant that the stRangers COULD still get it done.

You're right,Rock,I don't know where I came up with Mark Lewis...He bounced back well from that collision he had Sunday night...

I'm still a little foggy on all the goings on in the pro season...Been working on getting my son through tryouts and such in the community colleges around here and it's a lot of phone messages,no returned calls,people wanting money and so forth....I hate the business end of baseball,sometimes...Jake and I both feel he's good enough to play at the community college level and he'll build up some bulk as well in the next couple of years,so he wants to pursue baseball until every door slams in his face...I tell him it isn't always the most talented,but the most persistant who succeed...

Hey stRanger,Sosa's bat still seems pretty lethal down their in Texas....

You're right,Rock,I don't know where I came up with Mark Lewis...He bounced back well from that collision he had Sunday night...

I'm still a little foggy on all the goings on in the pro season...Been working on getting my son through tryouts and such in the community colleges around here and it's a lot of phone messages,no returned calls,people wanting money and so forth....I hate the business end of baseball,sometimes...Jake and I both feel he's good enough to play at the community college level and he'll build up some bulk as well in the next couple of years,so he wants to pursue baseball until every door slams in his face...I tell him it isn't always the most talented,but the most persistant who succeed...

Hey stRanger,Sosa's bat still seems pretty lethal down their in Texas....

Sunday night? It was TUESDAY night. Reynolds got his bell rung by Brandon Medders when Medders made a dumb move to try to make a play on a bunt. Reynolds apparently is a pretty tough cookie. And he got two hits last night, the HR and a single. He's hitting around .425 in his 11 games. Though they say there have been other Dbacks who started their MLB careers pretty strong like that, Reynolds is reminding me of Pujols and how he was killing every team the Cards played during Pujols' rookie season.

:)

With the year the Sox are having , it hardly matters, but I did notice that JD Drew is performing pretty much true to form. It's easier to hide him in that line up, than when he was with the Dodgers though, and the Sox are certainly doing fine without him.

You pretty much had him pegged

He was out of the gate fast in April, went into a horrible slump for most of May, and has already spent too much time not playing because of injuries.

With the team up as much as it is, it generally gets overlooked, but you were essentially right about him being 'the invisible man', some of his atbats have been horrible and he just looks lackadaisacal to me so far.

We'll see--its hard to be too upset about anything when you are up 10 games though

Thankfully, others have picked up the slack

I loved that video,mstar....That guy even upstaged sweet Lou's tirade Saturday....

I knew the Cubbies have been playing uptight,but I never expected them to start fighting in the dugout...Cubs can't seem to handle the main stage when they're expected to do well...They're something like 0-12 in one run games...

I love those managerial rhubarbs with the umps...I think they're good for baseball....I don't know where the custom of kicking dirt originated,but it must look awful silly to the baseball novice...Grown men with good jobs and families---kicking dirt,throwing bases and resin bags,crawling on their belly---playing with dirt---that would be a get of "T's" in the NBA...

I guess the league doesn't fine or suspend you if you beat up your own team mate....

I loved that video,mstar....That guy even upstaged sweet Lou's tirade Saturday....

I knew the Cubbies have been playing uptight,but I never expected them to start fighting in the dugout...Cubs can't seem to handle the main stage when they're expected to do well...They're something like 0-12 in one run games...

I love those managerial rhubarbs with the umps...I think they're good for baseball....I don't know where the custom of kicking dirt originated,but it must look awful silly to the baseball novice...Grown men with good jobs and families---kicking dirt,throwing bases and resin bags,crawling on their belly---playing with dirt---that would be a get of "T's" in the NBA...

I guess the league doesn't fine or suspend you if you beat up your own team mate....

Well, "Sweet Lou" apparently gets a 4 game break for his antics.... and I heard that Zambrano has accepted responsibility for the dugout fight... :rolleyes:

--------

So, Mstar, will JD be well by the time your Sox come to the desert? Cause he ALWAYS does well against the Dbacks.

Should be a good series regardless. I wonder if we'll see a Schilling-Johnson duel in the desert? Johnson's been pretty sharp for six innings in each of the last several starts.

Clete Boyer died today.

Clete was THE 3rd baseman of my childhood, anchoring the Yankees infield with Tony Kubek, Bobby Richardson, and usually, Joe Pepitone.

Great glove. Yeah, Brooks Robinson was probably better, but not to me when I was 9.

Clete Boyer died today.

Clete was THE 3rd baseman of my childhood, anchoring the Yankees infield with Tony Kubek, Bobby Richardson, and usually, Joe Pepitone.

Great glove. Yeah, Brooks Robinson was probably better, but not to me when I was 9.

I hadn't heard about that yet... I also was a Yanks fan in the 1960s before the Orioles caught my interest. I remember (hopefully correctly) Kubek at SS, Richardson at 2nd base, and Pepitone at 1rst.

But it's pretty tough to say ANY 3rd baseman, even into the 2007 season, was/is better than Brooks.

RIP Clete Boyer.

Wow I was just talking about Clete the other day with a friend , its odd, I remember him as being THE thirdbaseman when I was about 9 as well, before Robinson was so well known.

When I was learning to field, my now brother in law, circled Cletes hands on his baseball card, to drive home the point to use both hands, It went up on my wall and stayed there for a very long time.

Its been awhile since I have taken any grounders but If I took infield today, I'm sure that I'd still reach with both hands thanks to Cletes card from the early 60's.

Thank you Clete --Rest In Peace

So, Mstar, will JD be well by the time your Sox come to the desert? Cause he ALWAYS does well against the Dbacks.

Should be a good series regardless. I wonder if we'll see a Schilling-Johnson duel in the desert? Johnson's been pretty sharp for six innings in each of the last several starts.

I honestly dont know whats up with JD, I was on the road for about a week and a half and JD sort of got lost in the mix, things were going good so I havent hunted down any info yet....One kid that is incredibly exciting you should watch close is the rookie second baseman Dustin Pedroia.

I read an amazing stat today on him-

"On May 3rd, Pedroia swung at and missed a 2-1 pitch from Julio Mateo.

Since then he has swung at 139 pitches and missed 4."

WOW

He had rough April adjusting into the Bigs, but has settled in and hit something ridiculous like .410 or so for the month of May. He struck out twice the entire month, and is in the .330's now.

He is listed at 5'8" but I bet he is 5'6" at the most, and looks like he is about 19 yo,

Im sure you'd like the 'little guy' He'll be around for awhile

He and Kevin Youkilis, (who is hitting in the .350s) will probably be making waves for a long time to come

Schilling has been spotty without his good command and has had to battle during his last few starts...only a few times this year has he been right on, commanding and barely hittable, most of the time its been hard working Curt having to battle his way out of jams throughout games-which he can also be good at,...

It would be great to see if it lines up for the '01 coMVP's to face each other, It never materialized while Johnson was in NY...It would be right for it to happen in AZ.

I should have taken your advice and gotten on to this and figured it out earlier-The Red Sox are offering packages to the AZ series starting at a mere $2000.00 :biglaugh:

R.I.P. Clete...

from Newberg:

Probably in a calculated effort to get themselves mentioned on ESPN and in newspapers and on talks shows all over the country (and in a blog alert or two), the Long Beach Armada of the independent Golden Baseball League announced today that they have changed their name to “the Long Beach Armada of Los Angeles of California of the United States of North America Including Barrow, Alaska.”

This is not a joke.

Gotta love baseball.

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

I guess its that time of the year when things go weird, fistfights in dugouts, managers throwing handgrenades, teams changing their names--

This is the latest Manny moment --someone caught him listening to his Ipod.

iProtest

I dont think this will fly for too long....

BDD_MR_itune_6.4.07.jpg

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

I guess its that time of the year when things go weird, fistfights in dugouts, managers throwing handgrenades, teams changing their names--

This is the latest Manny moment --someone caught him listening to his Ipod.

iProtest

I dont think this will fly for too long....

heck dude! he was wearing those (or something like them) when your boys were here a couple of years ago!

Edited by Tom Strange