GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

OH MAN... what a great pic and great coverpage!

btw, the Rockies/Brewers game is supposed to be on TBS if anyone wants to watch it.

the Brewers are back in it now? :biglaugh:

I just said Brewers 'cuz my sister is in Milwaukee, so I was hoping they'd beat the Padres once they were out, to help the Rockies, where my cousins are ... and Hap of course ...

so you are saying it is too late for the Cardinals now?

Edited by rhino

the Brewers are back in it now? :biglaugh:

I just said Brewers 'cuz my sister is in Milwaukee, so I was hoping they'd beat the Padres once they were out, to help the Rockies, where my cousins are ... and Hap of course ...

so you are saying it is too late for the Cardinals now?

:confused: oops! :redface2:

btw, the game IS on now, on TBS... why MLB contracted with a NON-HD network doesn't make any sense!

I think Matt Holliday will be the MVP but he did look to be out at the plate....Great game...

whew!

Yes SimonZ I agree by my 5 senses he looked out, but upon further ummmmm spiritual analysis we know that our senses can be deceived. the scoreboard says he was safe and no angle shown follows his hand all the way past the plate. As so often happens, the bad calls might have evened out in this case. Matt got credit for the run we lost on the non-called HR. Great game, by two fun teams to watch. On to Philly for the Rockies! Glad Helton finally made the playoffs.

~HAP

I just saw the replay again Hap...Barret never went back and tagged him,'cuz the ump,even tho a delayed call,had already ruled safe,so he musta caught a piece of the plate....Congrats!!

That's what I saw too.... so, will the Rockies beat the Phils? :confused:

This is totally neat. Only 1 of the 8 teams that made the playoffs last year is in this year (NYY). The last 7 world series' have been won by 7 different teams. If this string is going to continue, then only Cleveland can win from the AL and Arizona can't win from the NL, but we'll see. There was a 10 year string like that from '78-'87. Parity is a good thing.

Many of my fellow St. Louisans would disagree, but I kinda hope the Cubs win it all.

This is totally neat. Only 1 of the 8 teams that made the playoffs last year is in this year (NYY). The last 7 world series' have been won by 7 different teams. If this string is going to continue, then only Cleveland can win from the AL and Arizona can't win from the NL, but we'll see. There was a 10 year string like that from '78-'87. Parity is a good thing.

Many of my fellow St. Louisans would disagree, but I kinda hope the Cubs win it all.

Many OTHERS would also disagree... :blink:

Well y'all know that I might be just slightly biased toward one team

:wink2:

but it is good for baseball, and if the Phils or especially the Cubs come out on top, (nothing against the other teams--I just have my biases) I'll probably be able to put away my disappointment.

Now--lets get these games rollin!

this wait is killin me....

you guys are the greatest

You're not so bad yourself! :dance:

-------

btw, for anyone interested... I started investigating this TBS thing (that TBS will be broadcasting most of the NL playoffs) today.

One of the first things I learnt was that TBS IS now being broadcast in HD... on SOME carriers (cable and satellite providers).

If you want to watch the games in HD and have Directv, you should already be set up to get TBS-HD channel.

I understand that Comcast in SOME, but not all of its cities carries TBS-HD.

If you're like me, a Dish Network subscriber, you do NOT yet have it available. After a nerve wracking couple of hours this afternoon, I figured out how to reach Dish's corporate offices in the Denver area. The phone number there (which is NOT listed) is (303) 723-1000. If you call them, tell them you do NOT want to be transferred to India or the Phillipines and that you want to find out why they do not yet carry TBS-HD. The more people that call, the more they'll get the idea that they better get it up STAT.

I specifically did NOT want to call a toll-free number (800, 866, 877, or 888 area codes). This did not cost me any toll charges because my (cell) phone provider gives me unlimited local and long distance (in the USA) for NO extra charges.... so, if you don't pay extra, by all means, call the 303 number.

Thanks,

Rocky

I don't understand how TBS wound up with the NL championship series, while Fox has the AL. As much as we assume that the entire country has cable tv, TBS is hardly universal, and alot of people are not going to be able to watch the Phillies make it to the World Series. :)

I wish you could get the HD there, Rocky. I'd be amazed if a million phone calls got it to you by the playoffs though. You may have to settle for crappy old regular TV for now. HD is stunning for sports. I sat and watched golf for a couple hours at a friend's house not long ago, just because it looked so good. Baseball in HD must be heaven.

I don't understand how TBS wound up with the NL championship series, while Fox has the AL. As much as we assume that the entire country has cable tv, TBS is hardly universal, and alot of people are not going to be able to watch the Phillies make it to the World Series. :)

I wish you could get the HD there, Rocky. I'd be amazed if a million phone calls got it to you by the playoffs though. You may have to settle for crappy old regular TV for now. HD is stunning for sports. I sat and watched golf for a couple hours at a friend's house not long ago, just because it looked so good. Baseball in HD must be heaven.

It's BETTER than being AT the game!

I've learned, since yesterday, that the problem lies with unfinished NEGOTIATIONS between Echostar (which owns Dish Network) and Turner Broadcasting.

It CAN be done in a matter of minutes, once those negotiations are finished and contracts are signed.

There's NO question that it CAN be done, as many (most?) cable and satellite providers have been anticipating this move (the launch of TBS in HD) for months.

DISH wasn't carrying Cardinal games at the beginning of the season ... also some negotiation problem. And even after most was resolved, I think we still didn't get games against Atlanta that used to be on TBS.

With all the different providers, and then the MLB season ticket .. it can be a mess to figure out. I was about to dump DISH for Direct, except Direct didn't have our local channels. Then when their pitcher died, we started getting the games ....

So the Rockies play at 2 central time ...

To answer your earlier question,Bill,I also couldn't go into the Dbacks building and root agin' them....They're a great bunch of kids playing above par and deserving of hometown support....The franchise itself leaves some things to be desired (don't they all?),but I think I'll view it alone and watch my mother and girlfriend fight it out :biglaugh: ...

There are quite a few Chi-town expatriots in Arizona,and while there's been some jabbing back and forth in the media between the two cities,it's mostly been good natured...One line in the Az Republic,quoting a Chicago sportswriter was kinda funny regarding the D-backs: "...after all,there are five-year-old-kids who have never seen them go to the World Series in their lifetime"....

On the down side, when I was listening to an oldies station today,I was cruelly subjected to the worst song to ever hit the top 40 charts when a caller requested and they played the song "The Night Chicago Died" by Paper Lace....

There are quite a few Chi-town expatriots in Arizona,and while there's been some jabbing back and forth in the media between the two cities,it's mostly been good natured...One line in the Az Republic,quoting a Chicago sportswriter was kinda funny regarding the D-backs: "...after all,there are five-year-old-kids who have never seen them go to the World Series in their lifetime"....

heh ... yeah it was easier to root for Gibson, Brock, Boyer ... than Ron Santo ... Cards had a couple world series when I was a kid, they won in '64 and '67 and lost in '68 ... Cub fans were learning to be long suffering ... ;)

On the down side, when I was listening to an oldies station today,I was cruelly subjected to the worst song to ever hit the top 40 charts when a caller requested and they played the song "The Night Chicago Died" by Paper Lace....

ha ... well, I'll predict a Cub win in 5, but Accuscore figures 45% to 55% odds against them for tonight, with a 1.5 run spread.

back to back homers ... 3-2 rockies after 5

It's gonna be hard to count the Rockies out until the last out in their last loss... them being pretty much the hottest playoff team going in to the post season.

Rockies starter Jeff Francis is getting relieved at this time.

Do any of you others think that the entire month of October should be a national holiday(s) ?

I have abillion things I should be doing but I have no desire at all to go to work---

it would probably end up like

Rockies just took the opener. I was impressd as I havent seen them all season until now...

Beckett vs Lackey coming up

Did you ever figure out the HD Rock?

Im having sound problems on regular TBS, Not an ounce of crowd noise , which I know is deafening and pumps up the adrenaline alot..

Im not too enamored with these announcers either

Some announcer guy : My first rule of playoff baseball, is that they should polish their helmets

Yeah Ok Thats important

Lackey is 19-7 vs. the rest of the AL and 0-2 this year vs. the Sox. I cant really tell you why----

Beckett definitely brought his A game and is looking tough, If Figgins opening ground ball had been nailed by Pedroia we would be on perfection,

Edited by mstar1

It's the eve of the first playoff game, and I'm nervous

Lifted Up said: And I still wounldnt bet my life savings (if I had any to bet) on the Tribe getting past the Yanks in the playoffs.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, Lifted! I figure if I don't voice my fear, it's not real. :dance:

In fact:

"Whenever I feel afraid

I hold my head erect

And whistle a happy tune

So no one will suspect

I'm afraid.

"While shivering in my shoes

I strike a careless pose

And whistle a happy tune

And no one ever knows

I'm afraid."

See? Like that.