GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

One side of me says --sureI want to see a great series, the in game emotional part of me still gets a little over nervous--especially in the playoffs

Im all relaxed again thanks to an amazing shot from Manny amd another one from Mike Lowell....maybe I'll be here for a half inning the way this game is going

One side of me says --sureI want to see a great series, the in game emotional part of me still gets a little over nervous--especially in the playoffs

Im all relaxed again thanks to an amazing shot from Manny amd another one from Mike Lowell....maybe I'll be here for a half inning the way this game is going

LONGGGGGGGGGGGG game! Bottom of the 10th, still 6-6.

I'd be nervous if I were you, mstar!

On the other channel (also in HD), I have the ASU SunDevils (my alma mater, and the stadium's only roughly 2 miles from my house (I can hear the fireworks every time ASU scores) taking the Washington Huskies to task...

Make that top of the 11th. :rolleyes:

:)

This is on Schilling (and Perez)

Ortiz, Manny and Herman let Mastny put them down?

I would've let Gagne try to work out of it (I was even thinking that before the next guy let everyone in)

...but the Indians starters better develop huevos de toros and quit being so afraid of Papi and Manny or there's no hope for them.

It is finished.

starman... how does the nation feel about Trot now?

1. First things first-congratulations to Linda Z, and all the folks/fans of Cleveland. You all are helping to keep me civil and less raspy Thank you.

Although I wanted it to be different I knew this series wasnt going to be easy. Up until the last fifteen minutes when the bottom collapsed that was a helluva game, Of course Im sure that from a Cleveland fan/ noncommitted/or Soxhater viewpoint it was all good, They played agreat game.

2. Dear Bud Selig:

&^%$ off!

I am old, I am cranky, I am tired, Its getting cold outside and I hate thinking about winter. My team lost , Im a little annoyed.

Start the games at normal %$#&^ times. 7:05 worked all year. I have no desire to spend my entire October up until after 2AM night after night. Fix it.

starman... how does the nation feel about Trot now?
I still love Trot. He did too much around here for that to ever change, plus he is the consummate ball player, the original dirtdog, the guy who gave you everything everyday in a for real way and not just because thats a nice cliche to throw at someone. Still wish he didnt get that hit, but if it had to be someone its sort of poetic that it was him.

Now-NO MORE -thats enough

gagne stinks.

I dont know if he is tipping his pitches, injured, or just plain horrible, but I cringe and go into spasms any time I see him come in with less than a 10 run lead. He is Mr InstantCoronary.

I was a very confused by Franconas use of the bullpen last night, especially the order of relievers .It was less than stellar on his part last night, using the late guys early and leaving himself only Gagne (no lead is safe), Lopez(usually the lefty one out guy) and Lester(who as far as I remember hasnt thrown a single relief inning all year) in a tie game.

I hope that they examine Gagne and find something, Not that I hope he is injured, but he really cant be that bad, and if they were to DL him now they could replace him on the roster with Julian Tavarez, who is a reasonably good long man, who would have made sense last night.

5. This is going to be a real series which should be good, Im just hoping its not too torturous.---and please no more plagues of frogs and locusts! battling the Indians is tough enough

6. My computer has been erasing posts, crashing and being a general pain in the a$$, which hasn't happened since ( I swear) the ALCS in 2004. I'll take that as a good sign.

Edited by mstar1

5. This is going to be a real series which should be good, Im just hoping its not too torturous.---and please no more plagues of frogs and locusts! battling the Indians is tough enough

I still think it's "all over but the cryin'" unless the Indians starters change their mindset.

Papi and Manny are inside their heads, althought I do think that CC might have been thrown off a little in game one by that line drive right back at his head...

Papi and Manny are not just good hitters they're great hitters... but shihite! the Indians pitchers are professionals, too! Challenge them, go after them! ...then whatever happens happens! Don't enter each at bat with them having already given in!

I hope it's a "good series" but in reality I don't think the nation has anything to worry about...

(now, I'll be busy watching a different game in a different sport this afternoon)

Thank you for your graciousness, MStar. I do appreciate it.

I'm with you on these 8 pm starts...I'm still tired from making myself stay awake until the end. I believe the Monday game starts at 7. Of course, if that game goes into extra innings, I could still be up very late on a "school night."

One thing about this year's Indians: They don't give up. I give them an A+ for hanging in and hanging on until we went through all their available pitchers and finally put some more runs on the board.

So my sympathies, MStar, and congrats to your team anyway. Even though they lost, they sure as heck didn't make it easy. And I smiled when Ortiz helped our player up (I forget who...it was late) when he fell into the photographers' area trying to catch a foul ball. Nice sportsmanship...I always like seeing that.

You asked about rituals. I don't really have any, but I have some crazy superstitions. Like, if I leave the room during a game and something bad happens, it's my fault for not "being there" to cheer them on and wring my hands. It's silly, and I know it's silly when I think it, but that doesn't stop me!

I feel like I need a night off as much as the players do.

Edited by Linda Z

You asked about rituals. I don't really have any, but I have some crazy superstitions. Like, if I leave the room during a game and something bad happens, it's my fault for not "being there" to cheer them on and wring my hands. It's silly, and I know it's silly when I think it, but that doesn't stop me!

That seems a common feeling, that we somehow put ourselves into the game that way. There must be some interesting studies on the whole fan ritual, attachment thing. Of course a lot is vicarious living of childhood dreams perhaps.

They just showed "Field of Dreams" on TV ... the old ball field for the little town by me used to be alongside my lane. Maybe I should build a field here :biglaugh:

that's my uncle in the 1930's ... baseball was a big thing in the communities ...

post-1479-1192374942_thumb.jpg

Edited by rhino

Rhino, I've wondered about the psychology of fandom, too. Like why do I care so much about a bunch of guys who make more money in a year than I could ever dream of, throwing a ball around and hitting it with a stick?

Since I never aspired to be a baseball player, I think for me it's something else. I have pride in my city, warts an all, and am extremely loyal to it. It's like we're all in this together, even though most of the players aren't from Cleveland and many aren't even from the US of A. They're representing us, and we want them to do well. And waching the games and how the team members interact, we feel as if we know them. Wow, we humans are complex.

I love the photo of your uncle, Rhino. How cool it is to have that. Thanks for posting it.

Rhino, I've wondered about the psychology of fandom, too. Like why do I care so much about a bunch of guys who make more money in a year than I could ever dream of, throwing a ball around and hitting it with a stick?

Since I never aspired to be a baseball player, I think for me it's something else. I have pride in my city, warts an all, and am extremely loyal to it. It's like we're all in this together, even though most of the players aren't from Cleveland and many aren't even from the US of A. They're representing us, and we want them to do well. And waching the games and how the team members interact, we feel as if we know them. Wow, we humans are complex.

I love the photo of your uncle, Rhino. How cool it is to have that. Thanks for posting it.

Other factors include the very human need/sense of belonging... "MY team" kinda thing... and for some, to some degree, what sports did we play (not necessarily even play well) as a kid.... BASEball was IT for me...

God ---the psychology of fandom-What a great book that would be! I know people who go through all sorts of crazy gyrations (me included) during the course of a game, a series, or a season--religiously

Common community experience is definitely part of it, I know in these parts that you can strike up a conversation with almost anyone....brain surgeon, mass murderer, child, octogenarian, Fortune 500 CEO, grocery clerk or crack dealer about the Red Sox and pretty much always have an instant connection and have apretty good time as well. Baseball is a great leveler.

The rituals, no matter how seemingly foolish are almost like some primal religious urge to be connected and a part of it....who is to say we arent? I have seen more people spontaneously praying in ballparks than I ever have in any church...it would be an interesting study...If anyone finds a book on that let me know..............

Awesome picture Rhino!

I am a huge fan of old baseball photos

I just found an old photo the other day HERE. I wasted a good portion of an afternoon going through them....

Here is a picture of the 1903 World Series at the Huntington Ave Grounds in Boston

I love that the field is loaded with fans...Boston Fans were misbehaving even then! We have along legacy!

tm_st10992.jpg....

Papi and Manny are not just good hitters they're great hitters
You are right that they should go after them, but I was reflecting on the stats I posted yesterday ( on base 29 of 36 times up til then in the playoffs--Im not exactly sure where they are after last night...) and wondering if any duo has ever done anything like that before...It seems like the type of thing that you could live for another 50 years and never see again. I feel very fortunate to be watching these two right now......Of course we have along ways to go and a very tough Indians team to face, nothing is even close to being in the bank yet---but so far it has been thrilling.........

...after waiting all week long and chomping at the bit--thank God for a day off--I need to recuperate today...

and just because it seems somehow appropriate

Here are the managers Joe Cronin and Walter Johnson in Fenway 1935

tm_st11346.jpg

Oh and one more thing

(now, I'll be busy watching a different game in a different sport this afternoon)

Go Pats! :)

Edited by mstar1

Brrr. game time temp at Coors Field tonight is expected to be 40 degrees. It has been drizzling all day, but the field has been covered and is said to be in excellent condition. The rain is SUPPOSED (or supposed or *supposed* ) to stop by game time. Hopefully the equipment managers remembered to pack the longjohns.

Should the Rockies continue their march into the World Series, this could be a long series if games must be postponed. We often get measurable snowfall before Halloween, Can we borry the Diamonback's roof for the duration (if we win the NLCS)?

~HAP

Brrr. game time temp at Coors Field tonight is expected to be 40 degrees. It has been drizzling all day, but the field has been covered and is said to be in excellent condition. The rain is SUPPOSED (or supposed or *supposed* ) to stop by game time. Hopefully the equipment managers remembered to pack the longjohns.

Should the Rockies continue their march into the World Series, this could be a long series if games must be postponed. We often get measurable snowfall before Halloween, Can we borry the Diamonback's roof for the duration (if we win the NLCS)?

~HAP

As long as the Rockies refrain from using the HUMIDOR! :blink: :biglaugh: It's a DRY heat, here anyway!... not that it's genuinely HOT (only mid 80s F)... THAT is cool, or really just right. And with the light breeze, I don't even need the A/C on today!!!! :eusa_clap::wave::eusa_clap::wave: Would be purrrrrrfect baseball weather by sunset... mid-60s to low 70s.

I forget, why do you folks NOT live here???? :confused: