GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

* maybe more on this later-is anyone else annoyed at the Fox coverage?

Well, I am NOT a fan of FOX networks for much of anything... and the ONLY thing I watch on any of their channels is sports... and while McCarver's got his detractors, I DO like both him and Joe Buck. Other than that, yes, their coverage is, IMO not as good as ESPN/CBS/NBC usually... though there is some carryover/overlap since they use broadcasters that generally don't have exclusive network contracts. I think Bob Brenly's one of the best. I generally enjoyed Thom Brenemann when he was doing Dbacks games (and then also did Fox Saturday games of the week), but don't miss him at all since he went to Cincinnati to work with his father... Dbacks brought Don Sutton's son, Daron in to take Thom's place and I like Daron better...

Anyway, that's more than you asked. :spy: But NO, Fox is far from my favorite group of networks.

Wheres Vin Scully when you need him?

Ain't THAT the truth?!

The announcers drove me nuts. They never shut up. I get that they keep the running patter going, but they were just too much.

When the Indians beat the Yankees, it annoyed me that they focused on the Yankees and the Joe Torre controversy more than the celebration in the Indians locker room.

I agree, MStar, about their omitting the pregame stuff. It's part of the grand baseball tradition. Probably saved them time for more commercials. I get that the playoff's are a big moneymaker for whichever network is running them, but it doesn't mean a commercial what seems like every 5 minutes isn't aggravating.

And who, I wonder, suddenly decided to break the story about Paul Byrd's prescribed use of HGH for a glandular problem. That was known before the eve of game 7 of the playoffs. Bah. I'm in a bad mood. Time to shut up.

there, there Linzee... at least your team got that far... mine has only been to the post-season ONCE and only won ONE game!

there's always next year, I don't know what went wrong this year... the stRangers were supposed to win the world series!

...I like Buck and McCarver... I mean, as long as they're gonna have announcers I think you could do a lot worse, sometimes I filter them, but for the most part they're pretty informative...

(although Buck is a little smug!)

(I think it was Hillary that broke the HGH story)

The announcers drove me nuts. They never shut up. I get that they keep the running patter going, but they were just too much.

When the Indians beat the Yankees, it annoyed me that they focused on the Yankees and the Joe Torre controversy more than the celebration in the Indians locker room.

I agree, MStar, about their omitting the pregame stuff. It's part of the grand baseball tradition. Probably saved them time for more commercials. I get that the playoff's are a big moneymaker for whichever network is running them, but it doesn't mean a commercial what seems like every 5 minutes isn't aggravating.

And who, I wonder, suddenly decided to break the story about Paul Byrd's prescribed use of HGH for a glandular problem. That was known before the eve of game 7 of the playoffs. Bah. I'm in a bad mood. Time to shut up.

It happens to the best of us...

there, there Linzee... at least your team got that far... mine has only been to the post-season ONCE and only won ONE game!

there's always next year, I don't know what went wrong this year... the stRangers were supposed to win the world series!

...I like Buck and McCarver... I mean, as long as they're gonna have announcers I think you could do a lot worse, sometimes I filter them, but for the most part they're pretty informative...

(although Buck is a little smug!)

(I think it was Hillary that broke the HGH story)

Yeah, WHAT happened? :confused:

And I heard that it was Cheney's old chief of staff that leaked the Byrd story! :biglaugh:

btw, Buck Showalter must have lost his touch!

I was very annoyed at that post-game "show".

commercials gallore. brief peeks at the celebration. Saying they'd show Papelbon dance the jig

and then not

I found a little of the PapelJig for you, the barefoot and in his underwear version.

papelboner2.gif..

Heres the Dropkick Murphys, who were playing at the time, for the full effect

And since Im on the Dropkicks, I migh as well post one of the official Sox songs

Tessie

Edited by mstar1

World Series Day..

I have to tell you Im feeling conflicted.

Im feeling some withdrawal pangs already. No matter what happens, in a week or so baseball will put 2007 to rest, and we'll wake up with no game--

All the more reason to watch this be a great series between the two teams that are left standing after 8 months and 170+ games.

Like the ALCS, I m looking for a great series with twists and turns , ups and downs and a slew of dramatic moments.

Who and when is the charm of the game....

Good Luck (but not too much -youve already a lot) to HAP and the other Rocky fans, enjoy the ride its been historic..

That being said, Sox in 6, ended with a Manny Ramirez walkoff in the 9th

He probably wont disappear into the left field wall like he did last year during the game.

Manny-770094.jpg

for two pitches.... :biglaugh::redface2::eusa_clap::biglaugh:

Only Manny

Someone , somehwere has got to make the Manny highlight reel movie someday, no matter how much the phrase is thrown around he is really One Of A Kind.

I admit disappearing into the scoreboard is funny. It would have been even funnier if a ball had been hit out there.

Theres' a huge difference between Manny dogging it, and JD Drew. No one gets cut more slack than Manny, and I suppose that won't change until he blows a huge game with his antics, or hits .250.

Yeah hiway... but I don't see that happening (him hitting .250)... I really do watch with great respect when I see him at the plate...

If he took the rest of the areas of the game as seriously as he does hitting... wow... think of the possibilities...

What if Vlad had his plate discipline? there's another one...

Manny's a great hitter-and really should be a greater player.

He'll hit .250 when he gets old-then Manny being Manny won't seem so lovable.

I wish Vlad had more plate discipline-but who knows ? It might hurt his game. Yogi used to swing at balls over his head and line doubles off the wall. Sometimes hitters are who they are.

If he took the rest of the areas of the game as seriously as he does hitting... wow... think of the possibilities...
Manny's a great hitter-and really should be a greater player.

You might be surprised how good he actually is in other parts of the game inspite of his misplays, trainwrecks, and oddities which get all the airplay

A few years ago he lead ML outfielders in assists, There were reasons that the Cleveland 3B coach didnt send Lofton home in game 7, That may have been part of it... Even though he is not the speediest thing out there he definitely knows how to play LF....especially at Fenway which isnt easy..

He also took some key extra bases in the Angel series that were absolutely slick when John Lackey was pitching....

but I feel no need to defend Manny, People seem to love him, and respect him or others....not so much...

whatever

One thing I do know He is a helluva lot of fun to watch everyday, even when he does something like walk off second to talk to the shortstop (which he has done) and gets picked off..he makes a huge difference by his presence on the field

I was thinking the other day that not only was he a catalyst for change for the Red Sox, who were just some team going not particularly anywhere when he arrived but who now sell out every game and are always in contention, but he was also part of the same when he was in Cleveland, when they had their own long run of sellouts and divison crowns after an incredibly long drought.

Inspite of 'Manny being Manny' He has been a big part of making two also ran franchises very successful, very profitable, and very exciting...

Lots of people have put up numbers, some more impressive than Manny's but who can say that they did that? Not many..

Wahtever -I dont see how anyone cant love him.. but each to his own

Edited by mstar1

I just wish he'd run a little harder coming out of the box. Celebrate midway between 1st and 2nd. Even Ortiz has "scoffed" at him when he's standing on first when he shoulda been on second or third. He just scares me sometimes.

Well on the other hand a lot of todays 'great players' are out golfing today...

I'll take him just as he is..playing baseball

meanwhile....more pertinent matters ....Its off and on rain here- in the mid 50's-- hopefully clearing by game time...

inmaSIRNH_.gif

Edited by mstar1

No danger to me personally, thanks, but there are many out of control fires surrounding me and down the coast. It has filled the air toxically, and people are urged to stay indoors. I do know people who live precariously close to fire, but so far haven't lost their homes.

A World Series is a needed diversion, which brings home the point of baseball-it's a diversion from the struggles and pressures of life.It really doesn't matter who wins and loses, except as I've said, if your team wins you feel good, if they lose you feel bad-then you go on with your real life.

As far as I'm concerned, making anything else out if it is giving it too much importance, though I have certainly been guilty of that.

..and I have too, and I'll in all likelihood continue to do it,

Manny said it concisely in Cleveland "It dont matter-Its not the end of the world"

Its not-- stay loose and play

Its NOT heart surgery or fires, and that is precisely one of the points. Life could easily be swallowed up in 'wars and rumors of wars', sorrows and pressures, if there wasnt something to attach to that offered some of the simple joys of life away from the hardships and pains that can so easily surround us. Victory against odds can give strength and hope that filter into other areas of your life when you are forced to fight other things. Its rest and relaxation, exhiliration and sadness, community and common ground, baseball binds people together

Was it in The Old Man and The Sea, when the fisherman expended his final strength thinking about 'the great Dimaggio'?...or something like that.

So its less than a fire, It does Not curtail my enthusiasm for the game tonight, or ever, if anything it makes it stronger

One other thing that I have to vent about

These late start times are really bad news especially on weeknights. Its tolerable if inconvenient for me, but I just spoke to some 10 year olds who are severely bummin because they cant stay up to watch the game on a schoolnight. Is millions of dollars of 'primetime' advertising really worth more to MLB, than exposing the World Series to the next generation of fans?

I doubt it.

The lineups are just out for Game 1 ...

Red Sox

1. Dustin Pedroia, 2B

2. Kevin Youkilis, 1B

3. David Ortiz, DH

4. Manny Ramirez, LF

5. Mike Lowell, 3B

6. Jason Varitek, C

7. J.D. Drew, RF

8. Julio Lugo, SS

9. Jacoby Ellsbury, CF

SP - Josh Beckett

Rockies

1. Willy Taveras, CF

2. Kaz Matsui, 2B

3. Matt Holliday, LF

4. Todd Helton, 1B

5. Garrett Atkins, 3B

6. Brad Hawpe, RF

7. Troy Tulowitzki, SS

8. Yorvit Torrealba, C

9. Ryan Spilborghs, DH

SP - Jeff Francis

Edited by mstar1

World Series Day..

I have to tell you Im feeling conflicted.

Im feeling some withdrawal pangs already. No matter what happens, in a week or so baseball will put 2007 to rest, and we'll wake up with no game--

All the more reason to watch this be a great series between the two teams that are left standing after 8 months and 170+ games.

Like the ALCS, I m looking for a great series with twists and turns , ups and downs and a slew of dramatic moments.

Who and when is the charm of the game....

Good Luck (but not too much -youve already a lot) to HAP and the other Rocky fans, enjoy the ride its been historic..

That being said, Sox in 6, ended with a Manny Ramirez walkoff in the 9th

I think that's the prediction Peter Gammons gave... definitely with the Manny HR, but Gammons might have said either 6 or 7, I forget which.

I share your anticipation for grieving the end of the 2007 season... I probably would have been a little more excited about this series if the Indians had won the AL... and would DEFINITELY have been more excited if the Dbacks had won the NL... however, I, to am hopeful for an exciting series.

btw, I'm not too sure that Hap would admit to being one of my fans.... :blink: even though he is most certainly a RockIES fan. :biglaugh:

It would be nice if some of that rain was sent out this way. It's difficult to care much about millionaires hitting a ball with a stick, while fires are burning out of control and hundreds THOUSANDS are losing their homes.

Last I heard, the number of homes destroyed in SoCal exceeds 1.5k.

But it's hard to NOT expect WS weather in the NE and Colorado to be cold this time of year.

I'm just hoping the Rockies don't fall flat after such a huge run and a long break ... the Cadinals sure fell flat in 2004 losing 4 straight to Boston ... IIRC

With the big surge by Boston at the end ... it seems they might win in 4 or 5. I suppose if the Rockies win one of the first two, that gives them the momentum.

8-1 rockies win in 4

7-1 rockies win in 5

5-1 rockies win in 6

11-2 rockies win in 7

5-1 sox win in 4

7-2 sox win in 5

3-1 sox win in 6

7-2 sox win in 7

Edited by rhino