GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

These late start times are really bad news especially on weeknights. Its tolerable if inconvenient for me, but I just spoke to some 10 year olds who are severely bummin because they cant stay up to watch the game on a schoolnight. Is millions of dollars of 'primetime' advertising really worth more to MLB, than exposing the World Series to the next generation of fans?

I doubt it.

One does have to wonder... heck, who among us (most of us anyway) didn't figure out every way we could to hide the transistor radio and snake the wire for the earplug up through our clothing and into our ear? ...and then sit there at our desk leaning forward on one elbow (while our hand covered our earplug), looking eager to learn and interested in class...

...only to have the teacher ask us "what's the score?"

Every autumn of my youth, at least as far back as I can remember, was spent trying to sneak a transistor radio into school...

They're losing a lot of kids... but the mighty advertising dollars speak... only they won't speak forever... it's unholy of me to even think this but 'Dancing With The Stars' will probably beat the WS in ratings when they go head to head... THAT SHOULD NOT EVEN BE A REMOTE POSSIBILITY!

It's an outrage I tell ya!

they should start the games at whatever the 'normal' game time is locally for the team...

if those folks on the west coast (sorry hiway) want to see/listen to it... they'll find a way...

they get to live in California, the land of Ricky Nelson, it seems a small price to pay...

the character of the Bonds types, and the constant trading of players I think has greatly changed "the game"

I saw a world series of video games I guess .... they have a whole channel for these video game contests ...

maybe they figure that is the future

don't apologize-I agree with you.

I also think series weekend games should be played in the afternoon-at least on Saturday. I think the ratings would be way higher than Saturday night, besides making millions of fans happy, and giving kids a game they can watch start to finish. Don't hold your breath.

First pitch tonight probably won't be until 8:30 or so eastern time. That's so wrong in so many ways.

I remember the gym teacher Coach White, interrupting class and rolling in the big school TV on the big rolling stand into our classroom and us watching the World Series nearly every year in school...It was almost expected, even the teachers who were really only going thrugh the motions on world series day, understood. Baseball and kids is foundational stuff

It irks me, tonight the Red Sox are going to do a lot for the opening and pregame, of course the player introductions, Yaz is going to throw out the first pitch, members of the 40th anniversary 1967 team will be there, John Williams and the Boston Pops will play while the jet flyover is going on, and Fox is going to have me watching a thousand 'House' commercials ,listening to Jeannie "My voice can kill your children" Velasko, and hearing for the billionth time "There is only ONE OCTober!!". enough already.

How they can be that out of it is inconceivable to me

BUT it does speak of the amazing resilience that baseball can and will endure almost anything.....

ANYWAY....

an hour and a half til gametime...Im still almost in a state of unbelief that Game 1 of the World Series is actually happening, today has seemed like at least three days to go by...

If I had my way this would be a national holiday

Edited by mstar1

One does have to wonder... heck, who among us (most of us anyway) didn't figure out every way we could to hide the transistor radio and snake the wire for the earplug up through our clothing and into our ear? ...and then sit there at our desk leaning forward on one elbow (while our hand covered our earplug), looking eager to learn and interested in class...

...only to have the teacher ask us "what's the score?"

Guilty as charged! :biglaugh:

don't apologize-I agree with you.

I also think series weekend games should be played in the afternoon-at least on Saturday. I think the ratings would be way higher than Saturday night, besides making millions of fans happy, and giving kids a game they can watch start to finish. Don't hold your breath.

First pitch tonight probably won't be until 8:30 or so eastern time. That's so wrong in so many ways.

Well, it's :25 after the hour and still plenty of ceremonial types out on the field... probably not gonna have first pitch at least until :37 after the hour.

btw, I'm not too sure that Hap would admit to being one of my fans.... :blink: even though he is most certainly a RockIES fan. :biglaugh:

Aww Rock, i never took you personally. This is a baseball thread, the greatest game known to mankind, yes, but it IS a GAME! That said, I am a Rockies fan, and I like Rocky too. I was a Rockies fan when being so wasn't cool. Oh, and I also am a fan of lawbstah so this Series is even MORE exciting to me.

It's almost GAME TIME! and the underdog Rockies (2-1) are ready to play. Believe me they will not be intimidated by Fenway or the Redsox. Facing the formidable Beckett in game one, they beat him when he was undefeated back in June, but I will be the first to admit this is a whole new game tonight. I think the east coast will be surprised by this never give up team. They already know the Redsox have that attitude.

And defense will be hot. It very well may be the deciding factor of the series. just watch Tulo and you have to be impressed.

Here's to you all, first pitch is moments away,

~HAP

It comes down now to the last two teams standign, and it SHOULD be a great contest for the next 5 or 6 games. The Rockies will NOT sweep this time, but I say they WILL win 4 games. My call is in 5 games, but I will gladly take 6 or even 7 because that means more BASEBALL to watch.

Edited by HAPe4me

ok, the 8 day layoff is over. we got a couple of hits. let the game continue. It ain't over till its over

It's the bottom of the 5th, bases loaded, 2out, JD Drew at bat, score 9-1.

THIS game IS over.

And IF the Rockies CAN be resilient, they MIGHT make this into something other than a lopsided sweep. It's not looking good at the moment, however.

Holliday was not the one to field the ball. It looked to me like Matt had trouble with the wet grass and the short warning track.

~HAP <====sings "Who'll stop the Ra ai n"

For tonight anyway, TAPS might be a more appropriate selection. :blink:

'scuse my lack of etiquette

Welcome to playing the Jr. Circuit HAP

well, if you can't win at home with your ace, you are hurting. Beckett is good, and is looking it. The Rockies young arms look like they have not played a game in 8 days. Their fielders look like they have the wrong cleats. I disagree with the balk call, the first base ump has that view, and did NOT call it. Of course that had little to do with the outcome of the game.

I think this was more earned runs than given up by the Rockies in 8 playoff games, certainly NOT their usual outing. Lets see what the morrow brings, as this one looks like a mirror image (reverse) of last June's game. Boring

~HAP

Im Ok Tom :biglaugh: --I told you 11 or 12 runs is safe :)

congrats to the Redsocks for a solid game one. see youse guys tomorrow, its another day

~HAP

Thats a good word 'solid', great pitching, great hitting ---the only thing I didnt get was my free taco...

Welcome back to earth all you Coloradans, you didnt think this cinderella thing would be easy didja?

You got Curt Schilling (10-2 Lifetime in the postseason) in maybe his last game at Fenway. He will most likely be very tough comin at you tonight.....if you're gonna finish the dream -you are gonna have to really earn it.....

Meanwhile...

....Its still rainin here at 4:30am ---will some ultrabeliever please pray this sh!t over to the Californians. Im trying-- but my effectual fervent prayer apparently isnt what it used to be..

DO WHAT YOU CAN

Thanks

Edited by mstar1

You got Curt Schilling (10-2 Lifetime in the postseason) in maybe his last game at Fenway. He will most likely be very tough comin at you tonight.....if you're gonna finish the dream -you are gonna have to really earn it.....

I don't know about that starman... I think you need to focus your Jedi mind trick on the Rockies players... not the fans!

I don't know about everyone else here, but I held little hope for the CR to win against Beckett... maybe a 5% shot at it (if that)...

Schilling's another deal... IF they take what he gives them like they did during the other two series they'll be fine and we'll have at least a five game series...

Beckett gives the opposing hitters nothing... Schilling on the other hand, well... the old gray mare she aint what she used to be...

Thats a good word 'solid', great pitching, great hitting ---the only thing I didnt get was my free taco...

Welcome back to earth all you Coloradans, you didnt think this cinderella thing would be easy didja?

Meanwhile...

....Its still rainin here at 4:30am ---will some ultrabeliever please pray this sh!t over to the Californians. Im trying-- but my effectual fervent prayer apparently isnt what it used to be..

DO WHAT YOU CAN

Thanks

As Hurdle said, "that is not how we had it drawn up"

We never left earth, but the Redsox seemed out of this world last night. Rockies batters are usually patient, however the great unknown is after a drubbing like they just took, will they suddenly get too anxious? Dry weather would be good, please tell the owners of God's team :rolleyes: to get on it.

Where is that dome Rocky?????????

DWBH and mstar, don't buy that steak sauce yet. I can use my buttah anytime, but I ain't melting it yet.