GreaseSpot Cafe

A Thread For Quitters

Raf

quote:
Originally posted by dmiller:

Raf -- I just went an entire week without smokes, but then *flunked* as well.

I'll quit for good if you do too. Give it a go, and be accountable??

(I won't quit coffee though!) nono5.gif

David

I would never ask you to quit coffee. That would be cruel.

David, you're on. Mark your calendars: starting right now this instant? Or midnight? Or what?

"Raf, heres a good trick. Everytime you want a cigarette go into the bathroom, stick your head in the toilet and give yourself a swirly. I think it might work, if not, it will be a lot of fun to read about."

Sounds like some real "fun" Lindy. One thing, what exactly is a swirly?

quote:
Originally posted by Raf:

quote:

Raf -- I just went an entire week without smokes, but then *flunked* as well.

I'll quit for good if you do too. Give it a go, and be accountable??

(I won't quit coffee though!) nono5.gif

David

I would never ask you to quit coffee. That would be cruel.

David, you're on. Mark your calendars: starting right now this instant? Or midnight? Or what?

Hmmm - how about tossing out what ever cigs you have left today when you go to bed tonight? I'll do the same. I find it easier to start the day fresh without them, rather than quitting mid-day. Let's do this thing and thumb our noses at the tobacco companies!!

Calendar is marked --- 6/8/05.

What am I getting myself into?!?!?! icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gif:D-->

David

Well -- here goes nuthin. It's 12:35 AM, my time - am getting ready to hit the sack- and am flushing my remaining 8 smokes down the toilet.

Wait a minute -- make that 7. I'm gonna have one last one, while I watch the others disappear. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Good luck to you too, Raf. icon_cool.gif

David

Good luck Guys!!!

I quit almost 18 years ago (after smoking for 15 years) when I got preggers with my first child.

I miss it to this day, but have no regrets.

I HATED something having that much control over me....my whole outlook was determined by whether or not I got that next ciggy on time. If I was even slightly delayed...I was NUTS!

My whole being was focused on how I could sneak away for a puff or two.

You guys are gonna LOVE alla the money you save as well!

I deliberatly didn`t take any cigs with me to the cabin, there were no store and no smokers within walking distance to bum from....My husband had the car keys....we stayed there for over a week....otherwise I do not know if I would have had the self control.

You guys that have the discipline to just put em down are really tough.

quote:

Well -- here goes nuthin. It's 12:35 AM, my time - am getting ready to hit the sack- and am flushing my remaining 8 smokes down the toilet.

Wait a minute -- make that 7. I'm gonna have one last one, while I watch the others disappear. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Good luck to you too, Raf. icon_cool.gif

David

My last one was about 1 a.m. eastern. I can still taste it (ewwwww).

Toughest thing is that first morning drag, but I think I got past that with no hassle. Then there's the whole drive to school, which could have been worse. Once in school, I have no problem, because we don't smoke in here anyway. I honestly didn't think about it until I remembered this thread.

My students are taking a (dreaded) grammar test right now, so I have some free time. Funny, I don't want a cigarette right now. I really want a glass of orange juice.

Three students just came up and asked for help on their test (approved help: questions about process, not content). They all asked the same question, and I could tell from the question that they were all going to get the answer wrong. But I couldn't say anything! I could only answer their question. Argh!

Got off work tonight, came home and walked in the house and immediately caught a whiff and thought "What the h*** is that smell???" Then I realized it was the residual remains from smoking, and that's probably what my clothes smell like too. Uggh.

Nasal capacities must be returning to normal, and coffee sure tastes better too. Amazing what difference just a few hours make. icon_cool.gif

Had a staff meeting at Noumenon house tonight, and luckily -- I had paperwork to do and meds to pass after it was over -- so I had an excuse for not joining the others on the back deck for our customary *after-meeting* smoke/gab-fest.

Looking forward to day 2. icon_smile.gif:)-->

David

Ps. --- Steve! Where did this *bottle of fine scotch* deal come from?? icon_confused.gif:confused:-->

I see you mentioned it higher up on the page, but (imo) both of us are *winners* by trying to quit. No need for incentive on my part, other than helping Raf by joining him in his effort, which helps me as well. icon_smile.gif:)-->

David

quote:
Originally posted by karmicdebt:

Wanted to tell someone...

three weeks today!

Karmicdebt -- Congratulations!!! icon_cool.gif

Meant to tell you that earlier, but spaced it out. icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

You're a month ahead of Raf and I. Good going! icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

David