GreaseSpot Cafe

Did you know...?

GrouchoMarxJr

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, lightning strikes 6,000 times per minute on this planet.

10% of the world's population is left-handed.

A zebra is white with black stripes.

The grizzly bear can run as fast as the average horse.

No word in the English language rhymes with "month."

The average person laughs about 15 times a day.

icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

The longest word in the English language that only has one vowel in it is STRENGTHS.

The Sun and the Moon are different sizes and different distances away from the Earth, but curiously, their size-distance ratios make them appear the same size from our vantage point.

Since bismuth is more dense than lead, a bottle of Pepto-Bismol will block x-rays.

Cats are not the only creature that land on all fours. Rabbits can do this too.

Human beings and bonobos (pygmy chimpanzees) are the only primates that mate face-to-face.

Most animals that appear to have backward-bent knees on their hind legs (like cats, dogs, etc.) really don't. That's really their ankle joint, they just run on their tiptoes. Their knee joint is closer to their hip, and is pointed the same way yours is.

It is physically impossible to keep your eyes open when you sneeze.

I KNEW Zixar would contribute good stuff to this thread and I also knew there would be some astronomy included. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

- The first CD pressed in the US was Bruce Springstein's 'Born in the USA.'

- Bruce Lee was so fast that they actually had to SLOW a film down so you could see his moves.

- The mask used by Michael Myers in the original Halloween was actually a Captain Kirk mask painted white.

- Laser is actually an acronym for "Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation."

- Dentists have recommended that a toothbrush be kept at least 6 feet away from a toilet to avoid airborne particles resulting from the flush.

- Venus is the only planet that rotates clockwise.

- Americans eat on average 18 acres worth of pizza every day.

quote:
Originally posted by Zixar:

Since bismuth is more dense than lead, a bottle of Pepto-Bismol will block x-rays.

I doubt that this is correct.

Bismuth IS denser than lead, but Pepto-Bismol is a solution of bismuth subsalicylate, which is NOT denser than lead.

George

quote:
Originally posted by GrouchoMarxJr:

That if you chose 23 people at random, the odds are that two of them have the same birthday.

Explain this one please. What do you mean "odds are." The odds always are.

If you put two people in the same room, odds are roughly 364:1 that they have the same birthday.

If you put 367 people in a room, it's 100% certain that at least two will share the same birthday.

What's special about 23 people?

What are the odds?

My birthday and my ex-s birthday fall on the same day of the week every year. What are the odds? (Hint: there's a REAL simple answer, and a REAL complicated answer).

For beer commercials, they add liquid detergent to the beer to make it foam more.

Fresca, the soft drink, had problems when it was sold in Mexico. There, Fresca is slang for lesbian.

The FDA allows an average of 30 or more insect fragments and one or more rodent hairs per 100 grams of peanut butter.

quote:
Originally posted by Raf:

What are the odds?

My birthday and my ex-s birthday fall on the same day of the week every year. What are the odds? (Hint: there's a REAL simple answer, and a REAL complicated answer).

For the same reason that 40% of a Monday through Friday work-week falls on Monday or Friday.

By the way - *my* birthday and *my ex's* birthday ALSO fall on the same day of the week every year - not only that, but they are on the same day of the month, just different months.

quote:
Veterinarians and scientists have devoted years of research to falling cats, and call it "high rise syndrome".

No, they do not toss pussycats out of penthouses and observe what happens. I already asked somebody "in the know" that question, heh heh.

The 1997 Tony Award for Best Musical went to Titanic.

The 1997 Oscar for Best Picture went to Titanic.

That's the only year this has ever happened (the projects were unrelated).

Maggie Smith won an Oscar for her role in California Suite. In the movie, she plays an actress who loses on Oscar night.