GreaseSpot Cafe

Word Over the World

Oakspear

When Martindale declared that the "Word" was "Over the world" in the mid nineties, he said it was because God told him that it was, and then had John Reynolds give supposed statistics and evidence to "prove" it.

Many of us just couldn't see it, considering that Martindale's own yardsticks of expansion, outlined in his book, were numerical and geographic growth, and sphere of influence. Numbers were down considerably, and were shrinking further, there were nine or ten states without an official TWI presence, and about half the number of foreign outposts compared to the eighties. Any influence that TWI ever had was squandered.

Martindale also said that "Word Over the World" wasn't some vague unattainable vision, but was a goal that could, and had been achieved.

World Over the World was, in my opinion, just that: vague and unattainable, because it was never clearly and consistantly defined. It was a slogan, nothing more, nothing less.

I do have a vague recollection of hearing it defined as "a twig within walking distance of every person in the world", but never saw it it writing.

With Martindale's proclamation, whole regions of the world had no TWI presence; one lonely fellowship made "the Word available" to millions of people. This was a clear indication that he had lost touch: heck, one fellowship in a medium-sized city like Lincoln couldn't even begin to "make available" TWI doctrine to the whole city, let alone the state or a country.

So, what was "Word Over the World"? What did you think it meant? Did you ever hear it defined? How off was Martindale's sorry excuse for it?

As far as martinpuke's definition/proclamation/turd spewing, I wasn't there for it (thank God!)

As far as docvic's (praise be his name) definition: I had always heard that it meant that everyone in the world would have an opportunity to say "yes" or "no" to the Word of GodTM.

jeez i'm glad me and mrs. me got away from going to their meetings when we did

if anyone ever suggested to me that the word is over the world already

first order of bidness i'm hanging on to my 10% off the top that's supposed to be going toward moving the word over the world!

next item: going witnessing house to house.

why the fudge should i?

go to every meeting regardless of how inconvenient? see no. 2 and besides it's not like the word is going away anytime (or is it?)

you get the idea

Well...since you asked...Wierwille's goal of word over the world was lofty and ambitious to say the least...

Actually, I would define it a little differently than Wierwille did...it wasn't word over the world...it was cult teachings over the world. Wierwille never had "the word" to begin with. His rendition of "Christianity" was a farce at best...wrong on over half of what he taught...

With that said...Martindale decided that the goal of world over the world had been achieved...mainly because he knew that twi was spirally down the toilet like something brown. He was circling the wagons to make what he DID do seem to be "spiritually appropriate"...HA HA HA!

For him to claim that the word had gone "over the world" was so unbelievably stupid, that it turned out to be a litmus test to see who had swallowed the koolaid and was now braindead.

Instead of being acclaimed world wide as the man of Gawd, and advising world leaders...craiggers is now unloading trucks for $7.50 an hour, wondering why he sat the bench on his college football team.

At least Jim Jones, Charles Manson and David Koresh are known on a large scale...the only folks who know who king okie is, are a relatively small handful of us who regret not pounding his head into the pavement.

I heard something along the lines of "giving every person the opportunity to say yes or no

" which to me meant everyone on the planet getting witnessed to at least once.

I was just brainwashed enough to think that although farfetched that nothing with God was impossible, and given the exponential growth while we were all still pretty young that it could actually happen.

There was a map at some ROA that had 200,000 twigs in the USA alone, a goal supposedly to be obtained by 1990, The 80's having been designated as the decade of the Word Over The World.

Craig at his inauguration said that he would stop at nothing less than the Word Over The World, but by the mid 90's with the ministry failing and dwindling, it was probably easier for him to pretend it was over the world than for his own giant ego to admit to failure, even though .000000000000000000000000000000000001% of the world had been reached.

Oak,

At the risk of saying I was there when LCM proclaimed it and saw the stats set up in the WOW auditorium, well I just did, so I suppose whatever risk I assumed is now over~~~ uhm where was I ~~~ oh yeah~~~ and the WOW program was no longer needed~~~ and ~~~ well Oak ~~~ I don't

really know~~~ All I know was some guy in a White Suit raising TWO arms with THREE fingers in each hand and him in the middle~~~ hell that's all I know~~~

Maybe McDonald's could lend them a golden arch and they could post how many served, opps, reached.

quote:
All I know was some guy in a White Suit raising TWO arms with THREE fingers in each hand and him in the middle

Sure that was the auditorium? Sounds more like a guy in a sanitarium..

Maybe that would explain it. The guys in the little white suits explained it all to Loy..

quote:
I heard something along the lines of "giving every person the opportunity to say yes or no

" which to me meant everyone on the planet getting witnessed to at least once.

And they think the Word is over the World???

THe Salvation Army, The LDS church , PTL and numerous other Evangilistic organizations are having a good laugh over that one.

THe Islamic Coutries, much of Asia and South America Are Still "Closed" either the political atmosphere, or the remoteness of the area just don't allow MIssionary work to be done in those places.

Large as the LDS church is with it's small army of Missionaries, Salvation Army Missionaries and many other denopminations missionary efforts in the field at all times-- we still have a long way to go.

In my building where I live there are people who have never gone to church, never heard the gospel and that is right here in the good old USA of A

All I can suppose is that LCM had made sure that all that we still left in "the HOusehold" had heard the "word" and since the rest of are greasespots that pretty much takes care of everything.

Edited by templelady

When LCM made that portential declaration, all I could think was "BULLSH**T!"

I go to a real church now, and we send out real missionaries, and there are places they go where they can't talk about Jesus Christ without placing their lives in danger. They teach by example, by living the life Christ taught.

It makes me think that perhaps by "The Word" he meant something other than the Gospel of Christ. Ya think???

WG

So vee pee said that the word was already over the US before craiggers took over? If I read that right, then craiggers HAD to follow up with something. He had to have a new class, write a new book and reach more people.

I was so confused when he made the announcement. My ex was insistent that craig wouldn't have said it if he hadn't had revelation about it and that I needed to not doubt the man of god (not MY GOD, he's not man of). I run into so many people who have never heard of TWI just in my town, there's absolutely no way the word is over the world.

Besides that, the standard that was set by the TWIt himself was that every person would have a twig within walking distance.....that ain't no where near happening and it never was.