GreaseSpot Cafe

How in the h*ll did THIS psycho get inside this country??

GarthP2000

Man with Chain Saw Allowed to Enter US

Take a gander at his face, and tell me how in the dickens *anybody* at airport security coulda missed that there was definitely something seriously wrong with the dude. icon_eek.gif

Guess he dind't have a box cutter or have a towel around his head, huh?

icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

P.S., no, this is NOT another caption contest, altho' I can think of plenty to go with his pic. confused.gif

Uggg I'm gonna be sick....Thanks Garth!

I guess a guy carrying a bloody chainsaw doesn't fit into the profiling from the manual.

Is it still required that Government employees get a lobotomy before showing up to work? That could explain it.

I know that simply 'how he looks' in itself isn't a valid premise on judging how dangerous they are; I was saying that half-jokingly.

Half-jokingly I say, because, I dunno, but there are people that when you even just look at them, your instincts just go into red-alert mode. Call it a hunch, gut feelings, whatever, but the initial look at that guy's pic just had my skin crawl. I don't think that it was his face, perse, but what that face seemed to say.

Then again, the fact that he was carrying not just a bloody chainsaw, but those other (potential) weapons theu airport security should have had them take more of a restraining action than they did.

Be that as it may, I'm glad that they have the wacko in custody now, and I hope its under maximum security.

Mstar1, if anybody is supposed to get a lobotomy, it should be Mr. Psycho there.

icon_eek.gifconfused.gif

quote:
At a time when the United States is tightening its borders, how could a man toting what appeared to be a bloody chain saw be allowed into the country?

Bill Anthony, a spokesman for U.S. Customs and Border Protection, said the Canada-born Despres could not be detained because he is a naturalized U.S. citizen and was not wanted on any criminal charges on the day in question.

Ya gotta luv it. icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:--> guns, knives, lighters, and even knitting needles and scissors are being cracked down upon -- but a chain saw, brass knucks, and a home made sword don't mean a thing.

quote:
I crossed the border at Calais last summer a couple times. The border patrol gave me grief about how much rum I was carrying in my car.

How much did you have with you? icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

I went to Thunder Bay for a fiddle contest once, and had a box of wine with me, and Canadian border crossing folks actually weighed the box to see how much was in there, since they were sure I was bringing in more than was legal - without paying *duty*. icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

They did have a sense of humor about it though. They suggested that if I did not want to pay the duty on it, I could leave the box with them, and they would gladly return it to me on my return trip -- although they couldn't guarantee that it would weigh the same when I came back to claim it. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

David

quote:
Originally posted by Long Gone:

Sure the weapons meant something, dmiller. They confiscated them, didn't they?

Yes they did, and I did not mean to suggest that they were ignored. However, what I did mean to suggest is that your average person doesn't hitch hike to the border carrying items like these.

quote:
Anthony said Despres was questioned for two hours before he was released. During that time, he said, customs agents employed "every conceivable method" to check for warrants or see if Despres had broken any laws in trying to re-enter the country.

"Nobody asked us to detain him," Anthony said. "Being bizarre is not a reason to keep somebody out of this country or lock them up. ... We are governed by laws and regulations, and he did not violate any regulations."

I'm of the opinion that the border patrol was being fair with him (according to the law), but given the circumstances (of which I know nothing, except from the article Garth provided) -- I think they should have *back-tracked* him into Canada, instead of trying to find out if he broke any laws by trying to re-enter the US.

I'm all for treating folks fairly -- but sometimes 2 + 2 needs to be added up, and dealt with accordingly.

David

dmiller:

quote:
I crossed the border at Calais last summer a couple times. The border patrol gave me grief about how much rum I was carrying in my car.

"How much did you have with you?"

I dont know exactly, I stopped at NAS Brunswick to stock up for the next couple weeks, I spent a few days [maybe a week] driving North slowly, looking at properties for sale and talking to realtors. When I crossed the border, I only went across for the day, I wanted to get back to looking at more properties. I remember having an open 1/2 gallon of rum, and a couple other bottles, probably a fifth of Everclear, and a fifth of whiskey.

"... I could leave the box with them, and they would gladly return it to me on my return trip -- although they couldn't guarantee that it would weigh the same when I came back to claim it."

That was nice of them.

Me,

I'm thinking that carrying:

brass knuckles, a HOMEMADE sword (both classified as "deadly weapons"

under US law)

AND

a chainsaw, a hatchet and knife (classified as "dangerous instruments"

under US law)

would be sufficient "probable cause" to temporarily detain someone long

enough to do a background check on the guy, and confirm he wasn't ALREADY

wanted for running around with a hockey mask and decapitating people at a

summer camp or something.

It says they checked for outstanding warrants and if he broke any laws

in crossing the border-for two hours.

Me, I would have figured "two hours" was NOT enough time for a thorough

investigation.

"They can't look at a chainsaw and decide if it's blood or rust or red paint."

Based on him carrying the other stuff,

doesn't it make sense to delay him while someone who CAN tell if HUMAN DNA

is on the "blood" or if it's "red paint" runs a test?

If it's "red paint", then fine-if it's ANYBODY's blood, then he's applied

a CHAINSAW to human flesh. Without knowing WHOSE, I'm sure that SOME law

was broken under Canadian AND US laws.

(Unless the late Johnnie Cochran argues the blood was placed on a chainsaw

that was turned off.)