GreaseSpot Cafe

True Friendship...

GrouchoMarxJr

In 1969 I attended Mohawk Valley Community college in Utica, NY...While I was there I joined Tau Omicron Pi fraternity...we were the "Toppers"...

This wasn't your academic fraternity that had the blessings of the school administration...no, no...we were the bad boys who had an off campus fraternity house...if you have ever seen the movie "Animal House", then you know exactly what my college experience was like... icon_cool.gif

Well...after not seeing any of these guys for over 30 years...I get a call from Scag, telling me about a reunion weekend coming up! I couldn't believe it...it was soooooooooooo good to hear from him...he gave me the phone numbers of Doc, Rosie, Rick, Tom, Tom, the Murphy brothers, and a few others whose nicknames would only be censored from this thread...

It's like no time passed at all! I talked and talked for hours to all these different guys and my mind is reeling with nostalgia and friendships revisited. I am soooooo looking forward to this reunion, as are all the others. Were going to a mountain cabin for an extended weekend to fish, drink beer, cook food, and "other" things...I can't farkin' wait!!!

...and then it dawned on me...the friendships between all of us has been and still is, totally unconditional. No judgemental attitudes...no snobbish, egotistical, attitudes...nobody ever got marked and avoided in our fraternity. Nobody ever got put on spiritual probabtion, although many of us were placed on academic probation wink2.gif;)-->...it was just such an honest and accepting group...after all these years...we are going to reunite for a fabulous weekend!

Of course, I can't help but compare this to my twi experience...what a contrast! To think that a bunch of pot smoking, beer guzzling, "party dudes" could stay faithful to the friendship and bonds that we developed during that short period of time from 1969-1972...blows my mind.

It underscores the difference between true friendships and the phoney, pretentious, conditional relationships that I experienced in twi.

It also underscores the difference between a legalistic, religious organization and the free spirits of individuals who honestly connect with each other and stay unconditionally faithful to to something that many might consider to be "ungodly"...The bible says that God lives within us...I find it ironic that a so-called Christian ministry could be so void of these wonderful attachments (for me anyway), but yet an "Animal House" fraternity could invoke such godly feelings of fellowship and caring...so where does God live, and move, and have His being?...it's party time! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

I will take the party dudes' unconditional bonds of friendship along with all their sundry vices any day over a bunch of sheeple led by manipulating, abusive, hypocritical, egotistical, arrogant, callous, power lusting and corrupt leader.....

The vices of our youth are things that most of us grow out of while latter pollutions of the heart mentioned above seem to be more permanent. Perhaps that is why Jesus preferred the company of winebibbers, harlots and sinners to the exalted, pious and sanctimonious religious establishment of his day.

Party on Dude!

At the specified time, like every other gathering dictates (be it funeral or wedding), the pagan celtic spazz dance prevails. It is a familial rite only blood (and possible genetic permutations) can accomodate.

Margaret does the worm and her twin does something that only can be described as...well, it defies description. Neither drinks...alcohol subdues...lol. Any onlookers simply think it is a middle aged lady having a seizure. Others think that the retarded girls are very fortunate to be so loved. Lol...they are not retarded...lol...just...well, Sister Sledge said it best. "We arether-a-pyfam-i-ly..."

Have a great time, Groucho!

...to add another thought or two since I can so relate to your pleasant anticipations...

My Dad o'Dad had life long deep ties and a loyalty that was forged in college, not unlike yours, to some degreeicon_smile.gif:)--> except it was Annapolis (USNA).

Just a thin, bright line in life's strata that can happily illuminate the rest of the layers...that's what great friendships and sometime brief alliances can infuse.

And, at the risk of being greasedspottified, I have to say I would feel the same way you do about your reunion, if I were to be contacted by some of my MIA TWI blips...we did have a great time, often...and many of those I knew and laughed and lived with, I miss.

Thanks for sharin', Marxman...it boomeranged some neat remembrances and flashbacks!

I wonder where my pal Micky Antonelli is...he should be out about now....lol.

Enjoy yourself groucho--

i think one of the best things i ever did was when i had to move back to my hometown about 15 years ago to watch over my dad who had heart surgery.

I rekindled relationships with people I grew up with, went to grade school with, played little league with, got drunk and stoned with and had forged lifetime bonds with....I was coming off a cult experience, others were coming out of other difficulties of life --bad marriages, deaths, assorted tragedies--but it was a very good and a centering thing because in spite of it all we knew who each other really was and care for each others for who we are not for the momentary images we may project....

Congratulations on remaking contact---latch onto your friends with hoops of steel-they make it all the twiat, turns and BS worthwhile

quote:
Originally posted by oenophile:

I will take the party dudes' unconditional bonds of friendship along with all their sundry vices any day over a bunch of sheeple led by manipulating, abusive, hypocritical, egotistical, arrogant, callous, power lusting and corrupt leader.....

The vices of our youth are things that most of us grow out of while latter pollutions of the heart mentioned above seem to be more permanent. Perhaps that is why Jesus preferred the company of winebibbers, harlots and sinners to the exalted, pious and sanctimonious religious establishment of his day.

I thought that there was worth repeating -- especially the second paragraph!!

icon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gif

Right On!!

I remember shortly after I got married and talking to my best girlfriend growing up. We were both newlyweds, but I felt jealous that she seemed to be heading down the path that both of us had dreamed about growing up, but deep down, I knew that my life was not going to turn out like that and I was very sad. I didn't talk to her much after that because of TWI and because of the pain.

Shortly before I actually left and got divorced I had started talking to her more on the phone. It upset my ex because, well, he didn't really like me talking to anyone, but especially not someone from my "good ole days" who wasn't a TWIt. When I got out I called her and we had a great heart to heart and our relationship has continued without ever skipping a beat. THOSE are true friends, best friends, the kind of friends Jesus would want us to have.

My little brother is still in touch with most of his entire circle of friends dating all the way back to kindergarten. (He's 32 years old now) They play fantasy football together, get together for the heck of it even though they all live in different states and they still cry on each others' shoulders when necessary. Every one of them has done stupid things in the past and every time the rest of them pick that one up, dust him off and they get back to life. I wish I hadn't given that up....

Have a wonderful time, Groucho!! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

I envy you guys....I dumped all of my school friends when I became involved with twi....so have none of those life long friendships.

The friends that I made in 15 years of association with twi, are of course gone.

I am thankfull, as I do have family that I am catching up and rebonding with.....but there were almost 15 years of missed holidays, reunions, joint vacations, weddings funerals etc.....that cause me to still feel like a bit of an outsider.

Have fun Groucho, I know that my husband really enjoyed meeting some of his old frat brothers a few years back.

A couple months ago I recently encountered an old circle of high school friends at the funeral for one of their fathers. I marvel that they would still even talk to me following my arrogant, self-righteous Way daze.

These were also stoner friends with whom I would gather for off-the-wall improvisational "jam sessions" (replete with artsy but hilarious, original "poetry" readings by one of us), which I would record using cheap, portable cassette recorders.

Even the dark nights of "Uncle Harry" didn't have the sway to compel me to ditch those old cassette tapes.

SO I've been blowing the dust and cobwebs off these old brittle tapes dating back to the late 70s- early 80s, transferring them to the hard-drive,

editing them and remixing them, to put together something of a "hits" cd to spring on my old friends when the opportunity arises.

THis stuff is pure gold to me (though they may sound absolutely insane to anyone else, if not meaningless); good friends are like a perfect band even if they can't play a note on any number of guitars, drums, 4-string banjos, and Magnus organs we happen to have at our disposal. But it was genuine, spontaneous fun and inspiration. It's what the so-called principle of "speaking in tongues" wanted to be.

Can't wait to treat them to some old sounds from the past. Even if some are rather embarrassing (lol).

Danny

Rascal,

If you have any leads on those old friends, I'd follow them up if I were you... I had also severed ties due to twi... but when I got out, I tracked a lot of those old high school and college friends down... Just told them I'd made some bad decisions, and was sorry and would love to hear about their lives to date.

It's been great. There have been phone conversations and emails and small get-togethers and big ones... at "our" age (early forties) we've mostly all made some stupid decisions in our lives and are pretty forgiving of one-another.

I don't know what it is... I have friends from my "current" life (dear, close friends) but it's the ones from the old days that mean the most to me... they are a part of who I am and always will be. And I am truly thankful to have them back in my life.

A friend of mine, last night, was talking to me about how much easier his life would be with just one hundred extra dollars (he detailed it, so it wasn't some pie-in-the-sky, $100 would fix everything lament, but a well thought out observation about his current financial standing).

He didn't expect it, but I handed him a check for $100 right there. He put his head down, looked like he was going to cry, said thank you, called me a true friend...

and tore up the check.

Rascal... try http://www.classmates.com

You click on your state, city and then school name... what you get is a list of folks who have already listed themselves... you can browse the list and list your name for free... you only have to pay a fee if you want to contact someone, and their fees are reasonable. The gals are listed by maiden name.

This is how I've found a great many of my old friends.

By the way... The Way College of Emporia is listed as a school on this site and I've found some old ex-twi friends there as well. (don't know if any of the other campus locations are listed...)