GreaseSpot Cafe

30 years ago this month....

act2

It just hit me as I posted on Ted's thread. I took piffle in May 1975, and went WOW 2 months later. 30 years ago.... it does not seem real.

I was sent to Lafayette, LA. I have kept in touch with my wow sister somewhat. She is in another country and had 3 boys. Lord, I guess they are adults now!!!

Anybody else go wow in 1975??? Where did you go? If you had to do it again, would you??? banghead.gif

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30 years ago this momth I was getting my van ready for the trek to NK for ROA and WOW training. I met my future wife Nancy Cezario, who was 5th corps and my branch leader. We were sent to Davenport IA for a really awesome year. I really had a good year. I got to help get the Word over the USA lol and enjoyed the Bicentennial doing the Lord's work. There was 5 families of 4. Plenty of humanity and excitement. Played my first fooseball machine [they didn't have such a thing in WV] and met some great stubborn midwesterners. Found out what winter was really all about!

smitty, I am thrilled that you had a good year. It probably helped that you met & fell in love w/someone while 'on the field'??? Maybe??? BTW, my second wow year was in Cumberland MD 1977-1978. My wow brother posts here sometime, but havent seen Rona since around 1987 in Gretna, LA. Rona, where are you?

I had good and VERY BAD things happen to me in LA. A 'believer' had wrecked my car a week or 2 b4 going to OH, so I was w/o a car. While 'on the field' I get a check for the car from my insurance company and was greatly pressured by my coordinator to 'donate' the money to the family fund. At the end of the year, I still had no car AND NO MONEY. But that is not the worst of it. But I will just leave it at that. icon_frown.gif:(--> Hi Steve. How are you?

Zshot, bless your heart!!! I can sympathize with you!!!!

Thank God that we are still alive and can warn others about twi!!! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

I wonder if this is all another coincidence..

I took der class in 1975 also, June I think...

Would I do it all again?

I'd have to. Even knowing where all this would lead.

I'd have to take the da*n class, more than once,

do all the twig stuff, go WOW in 77, meet my now ex, and have two of the greatest kids this side of the Mississippi. Wouldn't trade these two kids for anything I lost along the line..

Well ....may of 79 for me...whats that, 27 years now? Whoah.... 27 years ago at this time I was going wow...leaving home for the first time....heart full of hope and fierce determination to kick bu tt spiritually for God.

Would I have done it all again? I dunno, it`s been a hell of a tough life...maybe it has made me a stronger person.....is stronger better than happier? As far as the kids from the spouse I met and married in twi......well 4 of em are now teens...so maybe NOW isn`t the time to ask if I`d wanna deal with THEIR attitudes...lol

Yep, 30 years ago this month I left a good job and an affair-in-progress to go WOW in Washington D.C. ( I still get a twinge when I hear Joni Mitchell's Court and Spark).

It was a rough year, but I met my husband there (one of the 28 sent in 7 "families"). Yeah, I'd do it again because of him and our kids, but I've often wondered what would have happened on that road not taken.

If I could do it differently I would have asked questions of leadership and demanded answers, but I was too young and naive. Besides, the way environment was never friendly to anyone with real questions.

Groucho, I think I would have to say 'no' also.

Hamm, my class started in May but ended in June I think. Glad some good came out of it for you.

rascal and tonto, I was young & dumb too. All of 19 yrs old when I went wow, from the hills of western KY. My wow sister, from one of the richest counties in NY (which I didnt know at the time), taught me say to W A S H, not WARSH, R I N S E, not rinche, etc. When I came back to KY, I couldnt believe my ears!!! I still have wonderful feelings for her. I have no children but have lots of nieces & nephews & can understand about teens.... plus I was one once. redface.gif:o-->

oldiesman, glad you had a good year & would do it again. I really think that I would rather have gone the traditional route and did my running around and then 'found the Lord' in a church. (I was already saved from an early age due to being raised in a Christian home.)

Took the class in '75, went wow in the San Fernando valley in '76.

There's alot of miserable way experiences I'd like to say I wouldn't do again, yet my life has taken such odd twists and turns , that I think it all led to the place where I am today, far surpassing any accomplishments and quality of life, than I had any hope for.

Just graduated from college.

Went WOW.

Applied to grad school.

Got accepted and made a professional career

thanks to and in spite of TWI influences.

It has been an interesting 30 years.

My kids are now in college.

Got out TWI about five years ago. And things have improved substantially.

Cults are bad news and TWI is really bad news.

Yep..I get to join the 30 crowd as well as I Piffled in Jan of l975 & went WOW the following year to Wilkes Barre PA...left the field for "bucking the leadership" & finished my year in Flint Mi where I married my WOW sister a few months later...yeh I'd do it all again, as the rut I was buried in, while "playing Lutheran" was well worth digging out from under. As others..I ended up with 3 super kids and an eventual divorce in l989 after the POP floored us all...now that part I'd like to have seen turn out different...but so goes life eh??

hiway29, my sign off is 'The decisions we make today form our future'. I can see where you accomplished more than you thought you might. Being young back then, most of us didnt have great aspirations. As we grew older (wiser), we started to recognize our worth, maybe??

fortunateone, cool that you grad. from college, and also went to grad school. My life has improved substantially since leaving 11 yrs. ago.

Second James, seems like several that had good wow years also met someone special that year that made life tolerable!!! Sorry about your divorce, but I am sure that you have moved on.

rascal, I think 2ndJames may be speaking of his divorce, not pop>>>> ??????

Kevlar2000, I was a wow in Cumberland 2 yrs later. We went to Silver Springs MD one time for a meeting with Bill F!eming, I think. Maybe we met but like you say, that was a long time ago. I barely remember anything about it.

Hamm, it is scary!!!!!!! icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

frank123lol, there again, it seems like the ones who met a special one had a great year. Is this a pattern??? I wonder!!!!!

moony3424, how many were sent out in 1975, do you remember?

Thirty years ago, I was just finishing my third summer as a "Word Over North Carolina" Ambassador --- that summer in Shelby, NC, having taken the PFAL Class during high school in 1972 ... just ready to start my junior year at UNC-Chapel Hill after a great year as a College WOW.

I would do it all again ... but [ideally] not with all the mistakes this time, and I would not put up with folks that treated me as a second-class citizen, for whatever reason.

TF

This is my first post ever on any site on the internet.

30 years ago I took PFAL in Beloit WI while I was a student at Beloit College.

Went College WOW to Hamburg, Germany, 75-76.

The start of my TWI career which ended by leaving Way Intl Staff in April 1989.

Would I do it again? Yes.

I wouldn't be who I am and where I am and have what I have if I had done things differently.

And I like who I am, where I am , and what I have.

Still loving God, the other believers, sharing and living God's Word the best I know how with my husband and 3 kids.

I love it when I come here and recognize old friends like Linda Z and HCW and sogwap52 and Hope R.

This posting isn't so hard after all. Maybe I'll post some more instead of just read posts.