socks

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey y'all...got a question, a couple actually:

Do any of you have a wide neck acoustic?

I'm thinking of buying one (Gibson for example)

Any recommendations?

Thanks...and remember, "You can pick your guitar,

You can pick your nose,

But you can't pick your friend's nose"!

Shouldn't that be....

You can pick your guitar....

You can pick your ear....

But you shouldn't be photographed picking your ear....

:biglaugh:

Hugs to you, my friend! Glad to see you dropping in here to post!

Love,

Krista

Edited by ChasUFarley

This from Wikipedia on SRV's equipment (you probably already know this):

There are many myths about Stevie's stage equipment but here are the facts as reported by his guitar technician Rene Martinez, who worked with Stevie's equipment for many years.

For guitars, Stevie used some acoustics and a Hamiltone Custom, but he mainly used Fender Stratocasters. His most famous was a Strat with a Brazilian rosewood "slab" fingerboard; it had "1962" stamped on the neck and body, but "1959" written on the pickups. Unlike what was widely believed, he never used bass frets, but did use "jumbo" Dunlop 6105s. On this particular guitar, he also had a left-handed tremolo installed (it was originally a "hardtail" guitar, i.e. the bridge was fixed) and was known as "Number One" or "First Wife", at least once being called "Number One Wife" in an interview with Stevie. It had a D-shaped thick neck that was perfect for his large hands and thick fingers. It was taken apart by Fender employees to make 100 exact copies, and these facts were verified as can be read in an issue of Guitar World magazine. The pickups were never overwound purposely, but were from a batch of pickups made at Fender in 1959 that had been mistakenly overwound, producing "Number One's" distinctive sound. This also puts to bed the rumor that it was buried with Stevie, when in actuality all of Stevie's guitars are in possession of Jimmie Vaughan, his older brother.

"Lenny" was a 1963 maple-neck that was named after his wife, Leonore. It had a very bright, thin sound. Supposedly, Stevie found this guitar in a pawnshop, but couldn't afford to buy it. One of Stevie's roadies, Byron Barr, bought it and he and Lenora presented it to Stevie for his birthday in 1976. According to the story, Lenora was supposed to pay Byron for the guitar; she started a pool with her friends to collect the money, but it was Stevie who eventually settled the debt, with cash and a leather jacket. Its neck was originally a thin rosewood, but Stevie replaced it with a thicker non-Fender maple neck.

"Charley" was a Stratocaster built for him by Charley Wirz, a friend. Three Danelectro "lipstick tubes" are the pickups, and it had a hardtail bridge.

"Red" was a 1964 with a lefty neck that let him emulate the sounds of Otis Rush and Jimi Hendrix. This setup was able to give Stevie not only the sound he wanted, but the feel that lacked from a right hand neck.

He used a Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face, many different Ibanez Tube Screamers (most notably the TS-808), Vox or Dunlop Cry Baby wahs (one of which was owned and used by Jimi Hendrix), and at one point a Univibe, though he usually used his rotating Leslie speaker cabinet.

Amps were a blonde '64 Fender Twin, a 100-watt Marshall JCM 800 half stack, a 150-watt Dumble Steel String Singer, two '64 Fender Vibroverbs (they are consecutively numbered: 5 and 6; Stevie was very proud of having obtained such low serial numbers). He also had a pair of 4x10 Fender Super Reverbs. At some venues he also had several Marshall full stacks for volume.

(thanks to you guys I know what some of that means!)

Ala's jesting. Guitars never sleep, they just rest comfortably. :wink2:

Oil man, are you thinking a nylon string, as a wide neck guitar? I'm not very familiar with current nylon strings, if so but there's quite a few at http://www.musiciansfriend.com if you check it out. I'll browse around a bit and see what I can rustle up.

I recently bought a Yamaha acoustic steel string for my daughter, has a nice neck, not too small or too big and acccomodates different styles and we're very happy with it at this point for quality of sound, playability and overall tone and volume. The Yamaha site is here, and they also have a nylon string line -

YAMAHA GUITARS

If I was dropping a dime on a Gibson, I'd pick up the Hummingbird, a very sweet instrument. Their SJ200's a classic too - HERE -played by many. NIce big full sound.

HERES THE ONE WE BOUGHT IN THE FG SERIES, FOR ABOUT 300 BUCKS, WITH CASE.

tOM, THAT'S ALL great information on SRV! Thanks, always more to learn. It's amazing!

Edited by socks

TomS:

Plane-

Vaughn-

Next to...?

Would love to hear what that was like - say on, please!

alas, there's not much to tell... he was just a 'regular Texas guy' :) ... friendly and unassuming, I didn't want to whip him with any 'starstruck' kind of talk... just the usual conversation that you'd have... I went out of my way not to bug him but I wish I'd talked to him more... like I said, very unassuming... as much as a guy wearing a leather hat, long stringy looking hair, and carrying his guitar... I do remember asking him "you're not checking that are you?" (like an idiot, about his guitar) and his response was something along the lines of "no way, she stays with me!"... his wife and some other guy were along as well... he mostly slept on the flight... he was on his way home...

I was just a fan that didn't want to whip him... he wanted to relax, so I let him... it was kind of funny how inconspicuous he was... hardly anyone (we were in Philly) acted like they knew who he was... I was just kind of like "man, I love what you do, thank you"...

sorry I don't have anything more exciting to share... he seemed like a nice guy... we were just folks going home to Dallas...

Hey y'all...got a question, a couple actually:

Do any of you have a wide neck acoustic?

I'm thinking of buying one (Gibson for example)

Not sure what you mean by *wide neck acoustic*.

I have one *wide neck acoustic*, but it's a classical guitar with nylon strings.

I have a *narrow neck acoustic*, Martin D-35 with steel strings.

Classsical guitars have wider necks than *steel-string* acoustic guitars do.

And classical guitars use nylon strings. Easier to play, but a much softer sound.

I don't think Gibson makes classical guitars -- but I could be wrong about that.

Tom, thanks for the Steve Howe clips - great stuff...I thought he was great in Yes but never followed him after that. I may have to get something recent of his...Speaking of guitar players - have you ever heard of Acoustic Alchemy? I've got a few of their CDs and caught them live a few years ago.

Blues toonz? Did someone say Blooz toonz? No?

I worked up a piece for lesson material, titled it "Blueser". It's sort of every Blueser Riff and a couple Tweezer Riffs. Various well known tones. Assorted flotsam, some jetsam. What was that dance - the Stroll? A shuffle stroll.

Blueser

Edited by socks

Socks - that Bluesr piece is great! What's your equipment on that?

Dmiller - thanks for that Gibson link - I haven't looked at those in awhile...My first good bass was a Gibson SG [after giving up on converting a cheap electric guitar my brother gave me into a bass - looked great - sounded terrible - sometime I'll tell the scary story of my Frankenstein Bass]...Funny story about the Gibson [as you can tell by now - not knowing what I'm doing never stops me - :) ]...I was NOT impressed with how dead the strings on my new Gibson bass sounded - I mean dead - no sustain - just thunk, thunk. I take it back to Sam Goody [where I bought it] - the guy in the store looks down at the tail piece - pulls out the piece of dark gray high density packing foam wedged under the strings - and voilà! I've got a nice sounding bass - [and quietly slip out the back door in a heap of embarrassment]...Gibson did something different on this bass - the tuning keys went back [like a double bass] - when it laid in the hard shell case - the keys bowed the neck up - didn't like that - traded it for a Fender Jazz Bass.

Edited by T-Bone

Thanks, Chatty. It's just a collection of blues riffs, with a few twists here and there. T-Bone, it's a Fender Telecaster (dimarzio split coil p-ups) and a Jackson preamp.

Time for a lullabye? Sure! Clams and all - wrote this for my kidlings awhile back when they were wee-ones.

I'm Right Here - The Theme of Life

Edited by socks