GreaseSpot Cafe

Proud to be Way Corps

TheHighWay

I was killing time today, and did a Google on "Way Corps". Way down in the very last pages, I actually ran across a current top leadership wife's resume. (J@cqu!e H*rn^y) She IS still top leadership, right?

Apparently she does editing and proofing on the side.

Okay, that's an interesting topic for discussion on its own.

But, what really caught my eye was her description of the Way Corps program...

TRAINING:

2001–2003 Multiple in-house training classes for writing, editing, and proofreading

English 3200

Harbrace, English Composition and Grammar

1983–1987 The Way Corps, Corporate Leadership Training Program

Yeah... some of us have been saying this for years, now... no Bible involved, just pure corporate tactics!!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've known several Way die-hards who , even after leaving TWI, talked up their "achievements" in TWI and openly criticized others who didn't speak openly and positively about their time with TWI. How ironic that ,on their resumes, all of them water-down their time with TWI and seek to neutralize potential negative reactions. On their resumes they characterizing their Way expereince as , for example:

non-denominational clergy

christian outreach and research coordinator

leadership training program director

non-denominational theology studies

non-denominational biblical studies

christian outreach program coordinator

This is massively hypocritical. On one hand they want to admired and respected by other Way people for being the "best of the best" or whatever yet the totally back down when it comes to the rest of the world. I mean aren't they "ambassadors for christ" ? Are they afraid of "offending a corpse" ? Should they "boldly speak the word" ? They can't have it both ways.

Understand that I'm talking about those former Way folks who are still very much enamored with their Way past. Obviously any sane person seeking

employment outside of TWI wouldn't start listing Way classes and duties to appear to be attractive to a potential employer. But there are those former

Corps who still very much want credit (from other Way people) for having "served the Body" (or some such whacky idea).

Edited by diazbro

Geeze, I would NEVER use the term "Way Corps," or "The Way International" on my resume. If someone wanted to do a background check, and googled either one of those, I could have alot of 'splainin to do. :blink:

I have The Way International on my resume. I have 5 more years before I can take it off of my resume since most employers want 10 years of work history.

What would you put if you had worked at The Way? It was 5 years I was there, so it is a huge chunk of my recent work history.

I've never worked for twi (well, okay, I've never received a paycheck!), but I went from the College Division into the Corps, so I definately had to fill some gaps on my first few resume's out on the field.

I did use "The Way" with their formal campus names (Emporia and Indiana) but I simply put "leadership training program". I have no problem with people shaping their resume's... you have to market your skill sets to the type of job you are seeking. But to call way corps training "corporate leadership training" is, to me, a bit beyond the pail.

I respect the Way Corps. I think that what they did was important. The goal to move God’s Word with discipline and as one is important. To put your blood and tears and sweat to God and for God is important. The problem was LCM. :)

I never put TWI or Corps training on my resumé. Even though a couple of elective courses were from Rome City, my degree is from NYU, as was almost all of my coursework. And I worked consistently in my field since my high school years, so there was never a need to fill any gaps caused by TWI training.

There is a husband-wife chiropractic team that sells herbal "cures" for Lyme disease over the Internet. I say "cures" in quotes, because although they may have found ways to alleviate symptoms or support the immune system, there currently is no way to test or verify that a cure has actually taken place.

Their book on healing Lyme tells people to take their (overpriced) supplements and follow their brand of Christianity. Their bios can be found HERE . Click on "Info/Biographies."

{excerpts}

...Dr. David is a Christian, though not bound by the religious traditions of man. He is non-denominational, and has received training in advanced studies in Biblical research. This biblical foundation enables him to practice and teach the healing arts with the unique perspective of the truths presented in God's Word in regards to what he calls God-designed healing, and God-designed living....

Dr. Sara then spent a year at a Non-Denominational Christian college learning to research and study Biblical truths in the Word of God. It was during this training that she learned that the Bible was mathematically precise and scientifically accurate and that there were no contradictions in the original Greek and Hebrew text of the Bible.

She teaches the lay public and doctors alike that sincerity is no guarantee of truth, but that God's Word is a solid foundation from which the principles of "God-designed living and God-designed healing," are the truth.

It's obvious to any of us that have been there that they are talking about TWI, yet they carefully avoid saying The Way and Wierwille.

Regards,

Shaz

Shortfuse,

You might understand my perspective a little better if you know that I was around this gal for years, and she was so gung-ho ministry, I was literally shocked when I read her resume.

1)because she's actually seeking work outside of twi, and

2)because she didn't boldly proclaim "biblical leadership training"

If my sarcastic remark rubbed you the wrong way... well, we are all entitled to our opinion.

I respect the Way Corps. I think that what they did was important. The goal to move God’s Word with discipline and as one is important. To put your blood and tears and sweat to God and for God is important. The problem was LCM. :)

Lots of people had discipline to move God's word forward - but being Corps wasn't a requirement to do this though TWI would have

you believe that it was. Relative to this thread I'm making specific reference to those who still think they are the best of the best.

There are many former Corps here at Gpsot who do not exhibit that attitude but relative to my post above I'm making specific reference to people whom I know on a personal basis. People who would chide others for not being more into their Way past.

People who like to talk with great relish about their early Corps year and their various interactions with VPW or LCM. Seems to me that if someone loves to talk about this still then they are being massively hypocritical if they water it down on their resume. Clearly there are former Corps who can celebrate their service to God without making the incorrect aasumption that it somehow made them better than another. There are many of them here and they are fine people. Lots of people just wanted to make a difference and at the time it seemed like the Corps would get them where they needed to be. Thats fine. I'm talking about a segment of people NOT everyone.

I've never worked for twi (well, okay, I've never received a paycheck!), but I went from the College Division into the Corps, so I definately had to fill some gaps on my first few resume's out on the field.

I did use "The Way" with their formal campus names (Emporia and Indiana) but I simply put "leadership training program". I have no problem with people shaping their resume's... you have to market your skill sets to the type of job you are seeking. But to call way corps training "corporate leadership training" is, to me, a bit beyond the pail.

I can see the reasons why a former twi leader or corps person might want to tweak their resume......and distance themselves from their twi past.

BUT.........to currently stand in a twi leadership position and gung-ho corps, and add a generic term of "corporate leadership training" to one's resume..........is very hypocritical.

Not surprised, though.

Does anyone know for sure what the H2rn6y's current "assignment" is? I am finding information indicating that J@cque has been writing and editing pretty much full-time since fall 2004... and if what Belle said is right, she lives some distance from HQ... are they not leadership anymore???

Alright.... Confession time... I AM AL and I'm a....... REALITY SHOW JUNKIE.... "Hi AL".....

so what's the point????

It's a given that the "reality shows" aren't... not really, but I watch "the Apprentice" anyway and I was/am struck by the LOW LOW LOW expectations of "the Donald" on some of the "tasks" assigned.

The final task each round has been to organize and execute some large foot event, with the appropriate last minute problems thrown in to upset the finalists and see if they can think on their feet, and how well they recover. etc etc etc

THE POINT???? This show features (suppossedly) some of the brightest and best our universities and businesses have produced... yet the Donald makes his choice based on how well they pull off a meeting????

....... here's the point... something that any way corps person should have been able to do after their 1st year in res.

I learned a HeII of o lot in res... albeit was way way way more along the lines of organization, confidense,

can do, positive, git r done attitude, than it was "christian leadership training"

How sad that so many I see posting here spent so much time, energy, and MONEY on something that they still don't seem to be able to find ANYTHING that benifited them in their life currently.

My father once taught me that "you can learn SOMETHING from anything you do if you look for something to learn"

I think we all have varying levels of interest in revealing our Way past. I recall when Stanley R. (wife of Bo) showed up briefly on the forum (I think it was Waydale) and it turned out that she had a problem that people were not willing to use their real names. Of course there was an ensuing discussion about people preserving their privacy and how Google could reveal information about someone that could represent them in a bad light. Others were saying that it didn't matter because they were proud of their accomplishments in TWI though ,quite interestingly, most of these people didn't work or were self employed and thus weren't that concerned about their "public image". Whereas those who were actively looking for work or seeking advancement understandably wished to down play their "cult" past. I found this to be rather telling.

What it bolied down to was that we had people who didn't need to work (or work for "straight america") telling others who did that they were being "weak" or "full of fear" for down playing their Way past. Is this right ? No. I don't think so , especially when people in the former category might one day wish to seek work in the common sector. And at that point they would seek to disassociate themselves from TWI's identity as a "cult". I know people in this category who ,on their resume, did water-down their involvement in TWI by calling it something like "non-denominational biblical studies". Yet these same people were deep into splinters and had that same "Way boldness" and were happy to talk about "I have no friends when it comes to the Word". Two faced isn't it ? Why not use your interview with your potential employer as an opportunity to witness or to explain that "laws of prospertity" or the "law of believing" or how "devil spirits are keeping the business from taking off" ?

It is your business what you wish to tell people about your way past. No one should tell another what to reveal and to what extent. The point is that if someone who is proud of their Way past looks down on others who aren't and later attempts to downplay their own Way past just to get a job then they are being hypocritical. It simply isn't right.

Edited by diazbro

Hey Al

Nice to see you again!

Just because I don't want to list "the Way" on my resume doesn't mean I didn't learn anything valuable. For me, it was 20 years ago. ;) And I've done alot of other stuff since then, that is more pertinent.

Just wanted to clear that up.

Like diazbro said, it's a personal thing. Yeah, any of us who were branch coord.'s for as long as you and I both were, can run just about any kind of meeting, blind folded and handcuffed. :dance: Not to mention doing it on a shoe string.

Edited by ex10

diazboro:

To be a Way follower is difficult to be a Way Corp much more so in that perspective I think that the Way Corps should be proud of what they accomplish, the program and their years of serving. the bad corps also deserve that respect and yes I think that they are over the average Christians. The learned discipline and they were committed to something "move God’s Word". So in the other hand any type of idolatry is sinful.

The Corps are god God´s people some are lost. But they belong to their lord.

Geez. I'd never ever tell a perspective employer of my involvement w/ The Way International. In fact, I have been sharing God's Word with an old friend of mine, a woman who now is going through a nasty divorce with the man she married who molested her 14 year old daughter, and I DO NOT want her to even know the name of the "Bible Ministry" I was once involved with! I can just see it now. She googles TWI, and ends up here! How embarrassing! With all of our squabbling and such, as well as all of the negative facts about The Way published here, why, I don't think she'd ever trust me. No, I won't mention the name of The Way anymore to prospective employers or Christian people with whom we fellowship. In fact, other than with my wife, and coming to this place, I rarely if ever discuss The Way anymore.

Then why do I come here? I don't know... :blink:

although i no longer need a resume as i am retarded woops retired i speak often and proudly of my past in the way hell i got out!!!! :beer: thay makes you a winner

diazboro:

To be a Way follower is difficult to be a Way Corp much more so in that perspective I think that the Way Corps should be proud of what they accomplish, the program and their years of serving. the bad corps also deserve that respect and yes I think that they are over the average Christians. The learned discipline and they were committed to something "move God’s Word". So in the other hand any type of idolatry is sinful.

The Corps are god God´s people some are lost. But they belong to their lord.

mex in god's eyes i don't think there is an over the average christian

we are all equal

only my opiion of course :beer:

EX-ROLFLMAO: oh, my God-tears are streaming!!!!!

Jonny-you come here 'cause you'd miss us if you didn't!

When I was applying for a job as a bookkeeper, credit manager, and corporate trainer, these people could have given a flip about whether I had memorized the books of bible or exceled in chair stringing.

The things I learned in the Corps which was profitable for me were things you couldn't really put in a resume, the things that (hopefully) improved my character and work ethic.

People wanting to pay me to work for them want to know if I can do the job they hired me for. Attending a leadership training bible camp wasn't high on their list.