GreaseSpot Cafe

i need a new bible

coolchef1248 @adelphia.net

Well -- fer what it is worth -- my favorite is still THE COMPANION BIBLE.

I do read the NIV, and others, but I'm a *notes* junkie.

The companion bible has more of those than others, for you to look at.

Interestingly enough --- the New World Translation Study Bible (the JW version)

has a lot to offer too (as far as notes go).

If you just want one to read, and not get into the *research*,

I'd say go for NIV. (Just my IMO) :)

CoolChef, there's a couple of parallel Bibles that are handy. One is The Essential Evangelical Parallel Bible which has New King James Version, English Standard Version, New Living Translation and The Message [from Oxford University Press]. The other is Comparative Study Bible which has NIV, KJV, NASB, and Amplified [from Zondervan].

any suggestions on what i should buy for a new bible?

i have been reading the gospels this lent from my 25 year old compaonion bible that is so filled with twi notes that i tend to get derailed

If you want the one from where they get the Mass readings, you will want to get the New American Bible.

If you prefer the classic sounds of the older English, get a Douay-Rheims

However, my personal favorite for general purpose reading is the Revised Standard Version-Catholic Edition (includes the sections that were hacked out by Luther & company during the western schism)

If you want plain English that attempts to be word-for-word accurate

AND retains the italics for translator additions,

you can't do better than the New American Standard Bible.

If you want the feel of a KJV, I'd recommend New King James Version.

If you want a paraphrase of the ideas, there's Bibles like

"the Message", "the Amplified Bible" and "the Living Bible."

(I don't trust them generally, but the language is often beautiful.)

Some people like the NIV. Me, I think the NASB outclasses it

for what I want in a Bible.

If you want to sample them before buying, that's easy.

Go to Bible Gateway and look up a few passages in different

Bibles, then pick your favourite.

hey coolchef

If you just want to read the bible for fun, with no research or serious stuff intended, I love my copy of "The Message."

True, you can't use it to get serious about studying, but it's nice to read for the NT.

For the Psalms, nothing beats King James.

IIm not sure if you would be interested , but soon Spirit and Truth will be releasing a bible written by John S John Lynn and Mark G.

I am waiting to see what that looks like myself.

I have hundreds of bibles each are differnt, I have one new testiment book with 19 differnt transalations in the text! it is huge.

not always a good read haha .

the NIV is popular for study and the "message is used to attract the cursory reader alot.

all are good.

I use the criswald bible. do not ask me I picked it up at a church sale when the pastor had died and they got rid of all his books.

im used to it .

compaonion bible that is so filled with twi notes that i tend to get derailed

The same thing happened to me-It took me along long time after I left TWI to be able to even read clearly without bouncing all over the place into tangents of greek words , crossreferencing,hearing someones interpretation in my mind etc etc blah blah blah--

I eventually set everything down for a good long time, which for me was the best thing I could have done-It stilled my mind somewhat from all the TWI noise pollution.

From time to time when I want to I can finally pick up my old TWI Bibles without it being an exercise in monkey brain but it took a long time.

That all being said--If I were you I might opt for something different than you are used to, to help keep the train on track

Since you are going to Mass, Mark's suggestions might be appropriate

New Jerusalem Bible is another RC approved translation. Others include New Revised Standard Version, Hohlman's Common Standard Bible, Contemporary English Version, and New Centuary Version just to name only a few.

If you like the Companion Bible, then you may be interested in a Dake:

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Boo...*Dake&p=1018818

Chef - you ever go to a CBD tent or clearance sale? They have them in MA sometimes - if you ever want to hook up to go to one, let me know. I used to be their print rep - loved that company - great books at excellent prices - I walked out with a huge box of books for something like $60 - (Got a Dake for $19 - it's normally about $80!)

The Companion bible is still nice as well as available. Fred just got a new Companion Bible.

I also like The Message. But because of the time and heart invested in KJV, it's where I find the shortest distance to the Throne of Grace.

Agreed about twi notes. (How foolish we could be!!!!)

Kit

Dake is and interesting Bible. All of the notes are interesting, but not always helpful or accurate. If the biography I read about him is accurate and if I am remembering it right. Dake did most of his work while in prison on child abuse charges. It is my understanding that he repented and converted and dedicated his life to God. I found a link that is highly critical of him, you can decide how much salt to take it with.

One aspect of this Bible that I have found very helpful is that he was a list maker. He will read through a passage of scripture and list the key points, like " number promises of God in...", or "Seven sins of such and such."

http://www.equip.org/free/JAD100.htm

or for a more positive look.

http://www.dakebible.com/Catalog/DakeBooks...e-biography.htm

If you would like to try something completely different, you might consider picking up a Gospel "Harmony" - the New American Standard Edition is quite nice, though I've lent it out and haven't seen it since.

I've also gotten a lot of use from an old copy of "A Chronological Harmony of the Gospels" by Stephen J. Hartdegan (Saint Anthony Guild Press, 3rd ed. 1950) as well as Throckmorton's "Gospel Parallels: A Synopsis of the First Three Gospels" (with alternate readings from the Manuscripts and Noncanonical Parallels).

Danny

Speaking of Gospel Harmonys, Invisible Dan, there's The Narrated Bible in Chronological Order NIV, narration by F. LaGard Smith. I don't use it as a reference but just enjoy reading the Bible as a single continuous story. Smith added a descriptive narrative in the NIV to tie events together... I don't consider his added narrative or chronological order authoritative - but it can provide some insight at times - definitely helps getting the flow of the Old Testament...It's sort of like reading The Message - which I enjoy too - maybe not useful as a reference - but may get you to look at something a little different. You know, sometimes you'll read a verse in a different version - a verse you're so familiar with - and you wind up seeing something else in it!