I agree!

Waffles.

It is a small cute dog's name applied to a big guy -- kinda funny

Samson -- Great strength

Barney -- a warm friendly name.

Riley -- a dog that comes into the clinic who is full of personality

Lucas -- For quite thougtful guy

Simon -- a wise, fun dog.

Want to hear the funniest? A few years back I was at the vet and theis dog was doing a barking barking, growl noise which sounded engine-like.

The name? They called him "chain saw"

Edited by Dot Matrix

We had a nice husky with blue eyes till he lost one in a shoot out or something . We called him Ivan .

as in one Ivan .

ok not so funny but it was at the time .

Ivan is a nice name for a dog.

or mike you could call him mike .

or brownie or chip or chocolate .

phil , big guy , or you could call him pawtucket !

Most animals will tell you their names...in their actions...in their moods...in their personalities...or one day he'll be looking at you and all of a sudden you'll just know his name.

What was his name before you got him? Does he answer to it? If so, better to let him keep it.

Our dog came named Killer. Now there's not a thing killer about this dog. He's gentle and kind and playful. But he won't answer to anything else. Sigh.

CoolWaters has some good advice - why don't you just flat out ask the dog what he wants to be called? Sometimes us human folk don't give them enough credit...Okay - if your dog is a little shy and won't help you opt for our back-up plan - naming your pet after a favorite TV show...Although I warn you - you may get some funny looks from neighbors - it happens every time I call our dog in: "Come here, Who wants to be a Millionaire."

i would be curious to know if he has a name. is he a youngin'

we got a dog named "bob" but since he was still young we named him buddy because we wanted to be buddies. the people who called him bob put cigars and cigarettes out on him

as kids we named dogs after baseball players... mickey, yogi

my brother has a huge dog now named homer (not after simpson, but like homerun)

his big black lab was named jack which my brother in law didn't think was cute since his name is also jack

you could call him greasespot :)

or midnight

We've recently acquired a big black giant schnauzer - the princess named him Twister, as he had survved a tornado touchdown on the property where he was born. He must be 70 or 80 lbs now, on his way to 100 or 110!

My huskey's name is Tasha. She came to us named and also with a history of abuse. She is the sweetest dog I've known.

The princess got a yorkie terrier last month - had planned on either naming him Thunder, Fido or one other name I've forgotten. After she held him awhile, I asked her if any of those names fit him and she said, "His name is Scamps!" That wasn't one of the three. He truly is a little Scamps, too!

Enjoy! Post pics when you can, please!

Rhett, was my favorite male shepherds name. Kazan, and Barry son of Kazan were the names of two characters in James Oliver Curwood novels about enormous dogs that were wonderfull.

Titan is the name of the big Dane down the road...appropriate since we live in Tennessee and that is our football team.

Gumbo is his brother.

*Max* as in maximum was good....My daughters dog was named *chancelor* his son`s names were *2nd chance* *not a chance* and *any chance*

Our big Bouvier came to us named *Stoney*

My Mom names her dogs after land marks at her summer camp *Nevin*s (lake) *Kinsey* (pond) daughters pony was *mack* inac (as in straights of)

*Magnum* was the name of a wiermeraner down the road from me...

Lol sounds like a wonderfull dog...what breed is he?

I am a fan of CWs idea of letting the dog name himself. I have done that with several dogs over the years. My dogs have always come from shelters or rescues and they often came with names. I changed their names to the name that came to mind when I would hold them and look into their eyes or watch them the first few minutes they were exploring their new and safe home.

I have heard a couple people naming their dog "Jake" after a country song that had the lyrics "feed Jake". Don't know the song.

Anyone else old enough to remember the TV show Gentle Ben? Maybe Ben is a good name for the dog. I have always heard that short names are better for dogs - no more than a syllable or two.

I LOVE the name ATLAS for him! But since it's you and Hubby who will be living with it, just know I'm on your side. ;)

Changing names isn't a big deal, imo. I got a golden/chow mix from the pound and his original name was "Buster" - BAH!! How boring! My little brother and I named him "Doobie" and he took to it immediately. He was a goofy, silly, sweet, tender doggie. I LOVE golden/chow mixes - Doobie was my second and I wanted a third when my ex insisted we get a full breed from a professional breeder. I love my Vixen, and have had a blast earning titles with her, but would have been just as happy (and had more money LOL!) with a mixed breed.

Hmmm......big black lab?

How about Neo since he's THE ONE for your family?

Insurgent is a name I'm partial to. ;)

Boner

Bandito

Cruncher

Fuddles

Harley

Hermes

Hercules

Bubba

Magnum

Moose

Rambo