GreaseSpot Cafe

Do you have trouble sleeping?

Dot Matrix

It goes in phases--right now yup---my sleep patterns are all screwed up.

I was exhausted yesterday and fell asleep earlier for a few hours and woke up at 12:30. Its about 1:30 now-I'll probably be up for a few hours-then get another few hours later-- then be tired again tomorrow--

It seems i get a full nights restful sleep about once a week

Are any of you w/ sleeping problems consuming caffeine during the day?

Consumption as late as 10 am may affect your sleep later that night. :dance:

Eating mostly veggies, fruits and grains, and drinking fresh water, along with some solid, heart pounding, sweat-dripping exercise will usually do the trick :redface2:

If your knees are bad, or your back is sore... there are still exercises you can do!

Yeppers!! Only I wake up about 2:30am and can't go back to sleep till about 30 minutes before the alarm is set to go off. :ph34r:

I've started drinking a glass of milk before getting ready for bed and that's seemed to help a bit. Thing is, dogs don't have any conception of time, so when you wake up, they think it's time to get up and start the day. Woo Hoo!!!! (Not!!) Try getting the world's most optomistic, energetic, hyper dog to calm down after she realizes you're awake and so it MUST be time to go walking and play before Mom goes to work....... :confused:

I get to sleep fine, it's staying asleep and then waking up once the alarm goes off that gives me troubles. My alarm clock is now on the other side of the room. :biglaugh: My morning Belle hates my night Belle for that!

Just call me MR Excitement...in bed by 8:00pm, 7:30 on a rough day (the brain just shuts down automatically now)...up at 0300-0400...day in day out...I once stayed awake until 9:00pm...man, that was so cool! LOL

I have this Blackhawk pilot who loves to fly through my room at 1:00am (flight paths)...But I just wave now and go right back to sleep...kinda like white noise ya' know?

It's amazing how one can aclimate (did I sprell that right?).

so with that said...Zzzzzzzzzzzz

I had a friend with 8 (8 mos to 11 years) kids who said, "I seem to be tired all the time."

I thought that was a classic line. Still gives me a laugh.

(Great kids. I haven't seen her in years, but whenever I think of her I hope and pray the kids grew up to help out and give their mom a rest.)

I found out that I am so used to living with pain, back, arthritis, MS that if I take two Tylenol Arthritis before bed I sleep much better. When you get used to that pain in your hip etc it just becomes normal for you--but it does interfere with your sleep patterns--so maybe a couple of aspirin or whatever might just do the trick--inexpensive and worth a try

I found out that I am so used to living with pain, back, arthritis, MS that if I take two Tylenol Arthritis before bed I sleep much better. When you get used to that pain in your hip etc it just becomes normal for you--but it does interfere with your sleep patterns--so maybe a couple of aspirin or whatever might just do the trick--inexpensive and worth a try

Templelady - I'm sure you know I recently had bilateral hip replacement. After fifteen years of waking up every few minutes to find a new sleeping position I can freaking sleep for a couple of hours at a time!!! So when I saw your thing about your hip it kinda caught my attention. Maybe you should see what can be done for you???? (No that is not medical advice - other than to suggest you see a professional about what, if any, solutions there may be) I can't tell you what it is like to be mostly pain free after all this time.

I usually hit the rack on weeknights by 2100 hrs. But, if the dog, or a phone call in the wee hours by some "friend" of my nineteen year old boy or twenty one year old daughter calls, I am up till it's time to go to work at 0600 hrs. If I get awakened, it is nearly impossible to get back to sleep. And so, the answer to your question is....YES.

Maybe a couple of valliums at night? I swear, one of these days, I am going to designate a night and maybe take some "sleeping pills" and sleep for fourteen hours or so. Would be good for me I think...

And so, does anyone have any suggestions on something like that? Lunesta? Mellatonin? What do you know?

My problem was the quality of my bed. I put some boards in between the mattress and box spring and put 4" memory on top. It's better, but eventually I want to invest in either a tempurpedic or a sleep # bed. They claim these type of beds are great for people with back problems. Also I have a pillow for my neck that my chiropractor ordered for me. :wave:

Hi Lori welcome to the cafe!... I agree with you on the comfy bed, after being on the road for a few weeks and staying in at least a few hotels that the beds were really very restful it dawned on me that my own bed at home wasnt all that great so I bought one of those thick soft pads, new pillows and a bunch of other stuff and it makes a definite difference........I dont wake up quite as much as i used to-- if i wake up at least Im comfy and not aggravated

again welcome--enjoy your stay here....

And so, does anyone have any suggestions on something like that? Lunesta? Mellatonin? What do you know?

Ive tried those , along with valerian root, and other various 'calming herbs' and they all work to some degree or another--most of the time--sometime they dont (at least for me)

I eventually got a prescription from my Doc for Triazalom .125 mgs.

which I only take once in a while when I really feel a big need to have a good nights sleep.

They work really well, I only sleep maybe 5-6 hours or so at the most on them but I wake up fully rested and chipper with no side effects

Edited by mstar1

Hi Lori! Welcome to Greasespot! Glad you're here!

I haven't taken any prescription sleeping pills, but I did take some Tylenol PM once. Never, ever again! I was a walking zombie the whole next day. There's another over the counter sleep aid that's not suppose to be as bad, but I don't know what it is. The Tylenol was enough to turn me off to all sleeping pills.

I think this will only apply to the men in our group (I'm not sure, do women have prostates?). But I had trouble sleeping for about two years because I would have to make at least one (usually two or more during the night) trip to the bathroom. Turns out, I have an enlarged prostate.Since I've been taking medication for it, I've been known to sleep more than four hours in a ROW :dance: .

As much as I enjoy the 'finger wave', I would recommend seeing your doctor about having it done.

The only time I ever had sleeping problems was during the time my kids were kidnapped and there was a contract on my life. I was staying (hiding) at a girlfriends house whose 33 year old husband had died the same day my kids were kidnapped.

At 9:00 pm we would take a sleeping pill (ambien) and be out in 30 minutes or so. I usually would wake up around 2:30am and be up for the rest of the night while my girlfriend slept.

My new husband is a narcoleptic and we're usually in a coma by 10pm. He takes medicine to keep himslf awake during the day.

o my ahat i think i would have trouble sleeping if all that happened to me.

I have a grown child who can stay awake for days and and days till he starts seeing thing that are not there! I put him in the hospital the last time , they gave him 3 shots of the most powerful medicine they had he slept for about 5 hours total waking up for two in between.

he is fine now! what cured him was to stop drinking any alcohol and to be on a regular schedule without choice of sleeping in or not ! get up I do not care if you have not slept all night no naps today!!!

this is difficult for a person who is so sleepy all the time, I didnt care and at times i felt I was going to die.. who do you think got up when he did? me! and i couldnt take it i like to sleep when ever i can.

he said his mind would race with thoughts.. and ask me if i know and i do not ! bed and cat and blanket means close eyes and sleep to me !

even if it is a boring show on tv or movie I will go out.

so I know if you really try to get into a routine and NO naps. it can get you on a regular schedule and your body will rest. folks who work trick shifts have it the worse man i do not know how they do it . but i do know a person can stay awake many days in a row and bad things happen to the mind.

Yeah Vegan, you are probably right about those sleeping pills. And like someone else mentioned the the bed itself being a problem, well, that's probably what it is for me. Among other things, I have hung literally tons and tons of sheetrock since I was twenty, and no doubt my shoulders both need that rotator cuff surgery. I mean, I cahnge position all night long due to the pain in my shoulders. Sometimes it hurts so much that I will take some Ibuprofen because it is an anti inflamatory drug, and then, I sleep better...