GreaseSpot Cafe

They Stayed Faithful to the Word

Eagle

I realize the Way Corps has taken a lot of hits here at GS, but there are many Corps that did not put up with the abuse by leadership, defended the people in their area or fellowships, and when it came down to choosing a future leadership position or holding fast to integrity, they chose integrity and stuck by their people and left or were dismissed by the BOT in those difficult years.

My first years in TWI were memorable, mostly due to absolutely great Way Corps running classes and fellowships. They had a lot of heart in those early days. I can't let the actions of a few (or scores of them later on due to bad teaching by leadership) stamp out the kindness and great leadership and memories of them years ago.

I've found myself driving and sometimes walking on a beautiful autumn day with the brilliant colors of the leaves of the trees comforting my heart and the beauty of it all reminded me of these wonderful Corps of days long gone by.

Today was one of those days. Salute to those that gave themselves for the sake of us all in those difficult days. I still remember it and most likely will never forget it.

Eagle

I fourth it! There were excellent corps couples in that category I remember.

And my sentiments exactly! :dance::dance::dance::dance:

Having temporarily been in the Corps during the legalistic years, I understand how they feel. But you are right. I'll refrain from using that term. It also includes the good ones, which it should not. Hopefully, we can come to an agreement to drop that phrase. If not, it is an individual thing, I guess.

I also believe that once Corps always Corps...and this title, earned by many, cannot be taken away with the exception of those that committed crimes perhaps. But leaving the ministry should not be a reason. I graduated from Ohio State. I don't work there, but I still have that degree.

The Corps may not be the most advanced degree, but many, many of them took their vows on God seriously and made it much more...better than what was taught to them and even going above and beyond. These were the people that should have taken over and VPW should have appointed.

No matter. If not welcome at TWI, they are sure welcome outside where even more people can be blessed by their hearts. God knows who they are, and HIS opinion rules.

Eagle

Eagle,

Thanks for recognizing that not every corps was bad. Even now I see so many who are salt of the earth - even if they strayed for a time.

I knew many fine men and women, and I find more and more of them daily.

Edited by doojable

Yes, Eagle, thanks. I agree with you and like an eagle on all counts. Thanks for speaking up also. When we tell our stories, we all have individuals in mind as a rule - but when others read them, it looks like a condemnation of all when that isn't the case. I, myself, needed that reminder.

Dedicated people at the grassroots level; That's what greased the wheels to keep the TWI machine running on track.Don't get me wrong. I'm sure there were people every bit as committed to serving God at the upper levels but the foot soldiers were what made the army of God victorious. It becomes obvious after reading a few threads that a lot of the good things people remember happened either at the grassroots level or at a micro level within the structure of HQ. Some were Way Corps;some were WOWS;some were everyday folks who stayed right in their hometowns,folks like Ray and Vera who were mentioned on the "Hidden Kitchens" thread.

Ray is honored in the "In Memorium" thread very appropriately. When I read his memorium Ithought to myself,

"Now THAT'S a REAL man of God! In my opinion ,you can't stay faithful to God's word without staying faithful to serving His people. Without pig roasts and big branch potlucks what is it really but a bunch of people ogling over some Greek words whose original meanings were lost forever centuries ago?

Really good post Eagle...I think you hit the nail on the head.

The true servants of God don't seek self acclaim or titles...they don't try to lord over other people and are not vindictive s.o.b.s...and because of the that, they left twi...and they continue to walk the path of life, touching those who they meet in that path...many of them are here at GreaseSpot... :beer:

Edited by GrouchoMarxJr

Man, the example of my first FC helped me stand for 25 years (less a 1 1/2 year during '89 & '90). My first association with WC was AJ BXXXtta! Later, I worked with Bob VXXnola. When I grow up, I still want to be just like them.

I know they were simply humble believers with a huge heart for God and His Word, but they communicated it so well. Unlike other leadership, they allowed me to be part of their lives.

I agree with Groucho, I'll buy the next round for the house in their honor. Heartman, you and Grouch can make the toast! ! ! !

Edited by YIdon'tgotochurch

Waysider you knew Ray and Vera? They were like mom and dad to me for many many years. They drove all the way to Emporia for my wedding (yes yes I know it was embarrasing as hell to be married in some group grope environment). And when I got back to Cleveland from the honeymoon we stayed with them for a week. Of all the people in TWI I miss them the most. Heck - just thinking of them makes me tear up.

LOL when LCM got annointed as baby Jesus Ray said, "I've seen 'em come and seen 'em go. We'll see how long this one lasts." LOLOLOL

Corps are just people – many, very committed people. Unfortunately, many of the good, committed ones with tender hearts seemed to get dumped on and eventually kicked out for not toeing the party line.

No doubt there were good Corps and … less helpful Corps, in every group (even the Zero corps).

There are many WC who post here and many are very helpful. Some graduated, some didn’t. They still have the desire to serve that motivated them to enter and put up with WC training, and are still exercising their wonderful compassionate hearts, and they hold forth the truth IN LOVE. What a difference that makes! Bless their great big hearts.

STL, I can say that about the corps I met before they all had to sell their homes and pack up their belongings to "serve God full time". The ones that came to the area after that were mini-mog wannabees. With the exception, perhaps of Todd Cenc1ch. He was an absolute hoot!

Belle, you knew Todd?

He was here in Cincinnati when I left.

Yes, Todd is funny. His humor was refreshing! I remember times my insides were aching because I laughed so much!

He's a good guitar player, too!

Yeah, Todd was a total blast to be around. I never knew or heard him play guitar though. He and Michelle moved to Orlando as soon as they graduated, got taken advantage of by John Shroyer before he left and then they were sent back to HQ where Todd worked on grounds staff up there. My ex adored him and Todd was one of the only leaders who fostered his strengths and let him really be himself. The rest, especially moynihan and brooks wanted him to be mini-me's of them.